Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

35 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Meh. NWH had the advantage of being first out the gate with the nostalgia for the early 2000's superheroes. It's barely a movie, just like D&W. On top of that, R rates movie, with a very obnoxious lead character that rubs a lot of people the wrong way was always going to make this harder to digest that NWH. Flip their release dates though and I'm confident they would be much closer in their overall receptions. 

Overall they're both cinema experiences, something to be enjoyed as part of a sold out crowd. They simply don't function outside of that, as there's nothing there with either of them. So in that respect they both hit it out of the park, but both will age like milk.

I was just talking about the reception each one had. While NHW was well received by almost everyone, a huge success with both critics and audience, D&W has been panned by critics, something that didn’t happened with NHW.

TBH, I don’t even know when another MCU movie will have such a good reception like NWH, over 80% positive reviews on Metacritic and 90% from RT Top Critics is insane. Anyways fans seem to be loving D&W, this is really important for Marvel specifically after what happened with The Marvels.

Edited by leoh

The humor landed a lot better in NWH than Dead&wolv IMO, action sequences were staged well enough and the core relationship drama felt genuine. Big issue with it is the flimsy setup but it doesn't detract as much from general enjoyment.

Spoiler

Ending is kind of a bummer but not in a way that feels gratuitous

Edited by AniNate

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Still haven’t seen NWH. Is it as bad as everyone a lot of people say? 

It mainly appeals to Tobey Maguire fans who never got their Spider-man 4.

Reaction to Announcement is massive ,guess it did it's job . Well hoping for the best but not ectastic about potential ramifications 

Seen this so many fucking times 

Franchise comes up with something fresh and revolutionary captures màssive goodwill and audience.

Tries something with new characters or new story , doesn't work as expected.

Draw back to fan service moments,rehashes to recoup the magic and it works due to that audience being deprived of good content then we get in the cycle were such moments like callbacks and fan service are all that is left of the franchise . Any deviations  or different get rejected or reaction from the fanbase.  

Maybe this is good . or something like ÑWH, DP&W which sets a bad precedent for studios to bombard us with more nostalgia cameo fests .

Just like one has already said ,this announcement kind of means marvel failed with establishing new characters.

What happens if that happens with the mutant saga .

6 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

This is avenue of complaint is exhausting. People complaining about people not going to the movies and the ending of theatrical then complaining about there being movies people want to watch because they're not the films they personally want to see.  Complaining about the MCU refusing to die and then applauding the Minions 6th movie and Twisters is a bit much.

That's why the word I used was hegemony. Obviously, I don't think Minions or Twisters are the peak of original filmmaking, but no, they do not utterly dominate the pop culture conversation and blot out the sun in the same way the MCU does and apparently still will. But good job getting tons of likes misinterpreting my post :) 

Anyway, it's a good weekend at the box office. Deadpool obviously doing amazing. Don't understand why Marvel fans will make themselves the victims even though they've thoroughly won 100 times over.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, leoh said:

I was just talking about the reception each one had. While NHW was well received by almost everyone, a huge success with both critics and audience, D&W has been panned by critics, something that didn’t happened with NHW.

TBH, I don’t even know when another MCU movie will have such a good reception like NWH, over 80% positive reviews on Metacritic and 90% from RT Top Critics is insane. Anyways fans seem to be loving D&W, this is really important for Marvel specifically after what happened with The Marvels.

There you go with the hyperbole. Firstly, this is not "panned". It's literally a mid-level reception.

Secondly, NWH was received a sit was because it was the first truly huge movie in two years, at an incredibly low point in real life, and most importantly, as I said, it was the first movie to capitalize on the pre-MCU Marvel hero movie nostalgia. Flip their releases and they would meet halfway with their receptions - this is made clear by just how much the overall opinion on NWH has dropped. It was an ecstatic cinema experience, but it simply has no staying power. And that, along with the other mid-to-bad Multiverse, cameo-filled flicks in the meantime would obviously create more stumbling blocks for D&W. 

You seem to believe there is nothing deeper to the analysis than "NWH was beloved, this is panned". But hey, that's the internet for you...

Marvel is dominating the conversation because it Deadpool 3's opening weekend and there was a huge announcement. 

Last week Twister dominated the conversation.  In a couple weeks it will be another movie.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jaxon5 said:

Secret wars will open higher than Endgame, especially with 8 years of inflation

This will be interesting to watch because I've long thought that only the MCU can break that Endgame record. The only thing I can think of that could come close is another Harry Potter film with the OG cast. 

2 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

The horror competition is way too strong, but I really hope we can still get to 80M here. Still an incredible run regardless.

• Like 1