Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

–Huge walk-up business with 41% saying that they bought their ticket day of.

–Parents took their kids as the Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak report shows 18% adult family members with 9% children. EntTelligence further supports that the last five MCU movies (all PG-13) had 21% of their audiences under the age of 17. R-films typically have 5% of the audience under the age of 17, while Deadpool & Wolverine had 11% under 17. Not that Disney intended for this to happen, but, hey, the draw here is that it’s Marvel, a family brand and this movie is part of the multiverse.

–A big portion of the non-going movie public also came out with 30% saying that they go to the movies ever other month while 22% told PostTrak they only attend a few times a year.

–Evening and late night moviegoing was robust respectively with 30% coming out between 5PM-8PM and 16% after 8PM.

Updated, the Burbank AMC is still the high grossi

Just now, filmlover said:

MCU scoring such a massive win after a huge flop. Even they didn't seem to expect much from The Marvels.

After a rough 2023, comic book movies are proving that they're here to stay.

More like good comic book movies are here to stay. 

The genre is no longer bullet proof, but if you have the right movie, you end up with the kinds of numbers that Deadpool and Wolverine is making right now.

• Like 2

All premium formats repped 30% of weekend ticket sales with Imax accounting for $19.1M in North America or 9% at 414 hubs ($46K per screen average). Global Imax on the film was $36.5M, the eighth highest Imax global opening ever just behind Spider-Man: No Way Home’s $37.1M debut. 

PLF is not as heavy as expected but since we are talking about 200m+ mega OW so the % isn't really that matter.

Just now, Ryan C said:

More like good comic book movies are here to stay. 

The genre is no longer bullet proof, but if you have the right movie, you end up with the kinds of numbers that Deadpool and Wolverine is making right now.

TBH comic book movies with a strong "schlocky" aura to them have always struggled even when the genre was at its peak overall. Catwoman bombed the same summer Spider-Man 2 was a smash exactly 20 years ago, for instance. No one's gonna be shocked when Kraven the Hunter pulls Madame Web numbers this Christmas.

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

–Huge walk-up business with 41% saying that they bought their ticket day of.

–Parents took their kids as the Screen Engine/Comscore PostTrak report shows 18% adult family members with 9% children. EntTelligence further supports that the last five MCU movies (all PG-13) had 21% of their audiences under the age of 17. R-films typically have 5% of the audience under the age of 17, while Deadpool & Wolverine had 11% under 17. Not that Disney intended for this to happen, but, hey, the draw here is that it’s Marvel, a family brand and this movie is part of the multiverse.

–A big portion of the non-going movie public also came out with 30% saying that they go to the movies ever other month while 22% told PostTrak they only attend a few times a year.

–Evening and late night moviegoing was robust respectively with 30% coming out between 5PM-8PM and 16% after 8PM.

Updated, the Burbank AMC is still the high grossi

I really hope a huge portion of that 11% is like in the 13-17 age  range or something.  I am not sure  I want to know how much of the audience is under 10.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

it makes no sense why Twisters is doing so badly overseas. It may be American themed but plenty of American themed movies have done at least solid numbers overseas.

The trailers seemed too country. 

Country music was never really popular outside of US. I think is the same logic for the movie, it felt country, even the soundtrack is country. 

I liked it, but maybe they should marketed differently.

Per Box Office stat firm EntTelligence, Deadpool & Wolverine clocked 13.6M admissions stateside. The last time a film reached 13M patrons in a 3 day stretch was July 2023 with Barbie at 13.1M. Only Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness (13.8M) and Spider-Man: No Way Home (20M+) have had more post pandemic. 

Interesting stats. I think what surpises me the most is that MoM had higher admission numbers than Deadpool and Wolverine. Its easy to forget because its reception was so mixed-negative, but MoM truly had Hype.

• Like 2

Just now, grey ghost said:

I'm not big on horror but two trailers to stand out before Deadpool 3 was Heretic and Alien Romulus.

They look really good. 

Alien looks great. It feels a bit rehashed, but insanely well done. 

I hope Fede delivers, love his Evil Dead, way more than the new one. This can be a 45-50M opener if it’s good, the sales has been strong.

• Like 1