Eric the Marxist

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

33 minutes ago, leoh said:

This does worry me a bit, but I would just like to say that when Gitesh posted something similar like this with Twisters, that was late Saturday night. 

Gitesh posted this update for Deadpool and Wolverine on Friday night. A lot can happen between now and Sunday morning, which does make Charlie's $200M-$215M prediction more credible. Heck, maybe we'll get an update tomorrow night that goes past what he's saying right now. 

I'm not saying Gitesh is wrong or that we shouldn't trust him, but don't take this as an automatic sign that $200M is not happening. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think the most interesting thing about Wolverine & Deadpool is, the folks who didn't like the film genuinely seem to hate it. This is a review from someone I follow on Letterboxd:

I actually don't understand the contempt a small minority people have for this film.

I get it...if a movie is an adult movie and it decides plot doesn't matter, I tend to hate it, too.

I haven't seen this, so not sure how true some of the plot complaints are, but I can see it driving people up the wall.

PS - I especially hate 3rd act failed endings that are non-sensical or completely unearned or out of nowhere...

10 minutes ago, Ryan C said:

This does worry me a bit, but I would just like to say that when Gitesh posted something similar like this with Twisters, that was late Saturday night. 

Gitesh posted this update for Deadpool and Wolverine on Friday night. A lot can happen between now and Sunday morning, which does make Charlie's $200M-$215M prediction more credible. Heck, maybe we'll get an update tomorrow night that goes past what he's saying right now. 

I'm not saying Gitesh is wrong or that we shouldn't trust him, but don't take this as an automatic sign that $200M is not happening. 

Nobody puts much stock in what Gitesh says nowadays. I’d ignore him and follow what Charlie and RTh says. 

On that note, great to see some old dormant names pop up once again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I get it...if a movie is an adult movie and it decides plot doesn't matter, I tend to hate it, too.

I haven't seen this, so not sure how true some of the plot complaints are, but I can see it driving people up the wall.

PS - I especially hate 3rd act failed endings that are non-sensical or completely unearned or out of nowhere...

I don't know if I'm in the minority on this but in a comedy, entertainment and laughter is way more important than plot.

Wayne's World, Austin Powers, Walk Hard, Wedding Crashers, etc. I mean, obviously those all have plots, but none of those films would hold up without the jokes.

16 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think the most interesting thing about Wolverine & Deadpool is, the folks who didn't like the film genuinely seem to hate it. This is a review from someone I follow on Letterboxd:

I actually don't understand the contempt a small minority people have for this film.

Every hugely popular movie has a (small) minority of people who actively hate on it. Now, some may genuinely dislike the movie, but i think past cases have shown time and time again that many people just enjoy shitting on the "popular" movie thats out right now - sometimes without even seeing it. Its always happened and it will always happen. No movie, big or small, will ever please everyone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Wilson said:

I'm still on a "expect the worst" with almost every superhero movie's box office potential until I'm proven otherwise. And none of the 2025 Marvel movies are giving me much confidence. Though I will say that Superman has potential to be a huge breakout. I doubt it will reach Avatar 3, but it could get close if Gunn really captures the character and what people love about him.

Agreed on all the marvel movies looking weak, but no shot Superman even reaches the atmosphere of Avatar 3. I think Guardians numbers is the best case scenario. I don't think it's out of the question that Avatar DOM will be higher than Superman WW

Edited by SaltyPistola

9 minutes ago, SaltyPistola said:

Agreed on all the marvel movies looking weak, but no shot Superman even reaches the atmosphere of Avatar 3. I think Guardians numbers is the best case scenario. I don't think it's out of the question that Avatar DOM will be higher than Superman WW

For now, I don't see that happening. What numbers do you see?

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Was hoping for a bit more, but this is still a good hold in the face of a literal behemoth. 

At the very least, more than $200M domestically is gonna happen. 

17 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Superhero movies are done, CBMs are done, MCU is finished, Disney is gone, Theaters are over, people don't want sequels, it's time for a certain kinds of movies that these people like.

On top of that everyone is trying to be over smart by saying words like "corporate whatever", trying to gain some sort of moral superiority over the masses.

Deadpool & Wolverine is everything that a certain minority does not want, but it is what it is and it is going to be Successful.

None of those things are true. People who do not like the film are doing so because they value aspects of in filmmaking which were poorly executed or realized in the film. There are things the film does very well, namely the action sequences and the humor. However, there are things the film does very poorly, namely its threadbare story that makes almost no sense. It's simply a matter of how many more people enjoy the things the film does well compared to how many despise it for its shortcomings.

For me, the film is an A or A- because it is a massively fun time at the theater despite its flaws. If you shut off your brain and just soak it in, the film is likely to be the best time you will have at the movies all year.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

And no, I'm not talking about critics,  so don't take it as "grr critics bad".

There's certain amount of people who on twitter or in social media that do not count as critics who seems to have a stock on this one failing.

Maybe it's the hate for "corporates", well saddle down genius, every movie is "corporate", whether it's a masterpiece or a garbage.

And you'll see more of these takes once the news of record breaking weekend spreads.

Not to turn this thread into a debate about a topic that I'm sure no one wants to talk about, but I'm sure a lot of these guys that you would find on places like Twitter or even in the dark side of places like YouTube are the people who constantly take Martin Scorsese infamously saying "Marvel movies are not cinema" way too far. 

It's to a point where Scorsese has become a literal tool to use to fight against Marvel. I'll just say it, it's a huge disservice to the man.

• Like 1

2024 is truly Disney’s year. They are going to most likely win the top three highest grossing domestic and worldwide spots with Inside Out 2, Deadpool and Wolverine and Moana 2. Perhaps even four if Mufasa performs better than expected. 

Something else I noticed is that Disney has not won the number one spot domestically since 2019.

2019 - Avengers: Endgame (Disney) 

2020 - Bad Boys for Life (Sony)

2021 - Spider-Man: No Way Home (Sony)

2022 - Top Gun: Maverick (Paramount)

2023 - Barbie (Warner Bros.)

2024 - Inside Out 2 (Disney)

This will truly be Disney’s year. Now technically they have won the spot overall in total domestic box office for all their films but eh. 

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1