Eric the Marxist

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

21 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Joker 2: 1.1/1.2B(If its great)

Venom: 670/750M

Kraven: 380M

Cap4: 450/550M

superman: 550/800

Thunderboring:350M/420M

F4: 700M only if its great

I actually agree with this, but even if F4 is good I don’t see it going over 550m max. The property is just not popular that way and it has been attempted so many times before.

Superman and Venom also on the lower side. Neither brings anything new to the table.

Kraven 300m max.

Edited by James

1 minute ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Why is OS OW like $25M lower than DS2 even though DOM OW is $25M higher than DS2?

Because some key territories have fallen quite a bit from MoM: mostly East Asia and some parts of Europe, and Latin America increase is not enough to make up for it. Still, it’s above what I thought it would do. Let’s see the legs. Should be better than MoM.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Why is OS OW like $25M lower than DS2 even though DOM OW is $25M higher than DS2?

Some OS territories are more strict with ratings - none of this it's OK for a 3 yr old to see a R rated equivalent movie as long as accompanied by an adult shit

Comedy is the hardest thing to translate O/S

Strange was bouncing big O/S off AIW and AEG

Edited by TalismanRing

6 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

The Deadline article saying the estimate went from 55m to 95m... like really? After all the years of writing about box office what

Their interns are getting worse and worse

• Like 1

Wish Twisters could've held better but it's still not as harsh a drop as Bourne's second Friday. Should be good for at least $250mil, maybe more if theaters are willing to keep it around longer than its historical comps.  Oppy legs from here would get it to $265mil, probably the main obstacle is how much faith theaters will be willing to put in Borderlands.

Seems like the kids movies are what are really going to benefit from spillover this weekend more than Twisters. Despicable Me 4 had its best Friday hold of its run. Wasn't still drawing capacity crowds before this weekend so more people could actually fit into the smaller auditoriums it was already in.

Edited by AniNate

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Wish Twisters could've held better but it's still not as harsh a drop as Bourne's second Friday. Should be good for at least $250mil, maybe more if theaters are willing to keep it around longer than its historical comps.  Oppy legs from here would get it to $265mil, probably the main obstacle is how much faith theaters will be willing to put in Borderlands.

Seems like the kids movies are what are really going to benefit from spillover this weekend more than Twisters. Despicable Me 4 had its best Friday hold of its run. Wasn't still drawing capacity crowds before this weekend so more people could actually fit into the smaller auditoriums it was already in.

August legs are second only to Dec/X-Mas/NY legs but Oppenheimer had IMAX which kept the drops steady

32 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Some countries have different outlook about R-rated movies 

Oppy's theater count did get nickel and dimed at the end of August because of a bunch of middling action filler. Schedule doesn't seem comparable to Blue Beetle->Gran Turismo->Equalizer this year though so Twisters might be able to keep 3500+ for longer. And I imagine Deadpool will get the brunt of the Alien and what little Crow impact there might be with its R rating.

That honestly seems like a solid drop for Twisters all things considered. If it had fallen below $30M for the weekend then it would've been rough.

Seems like we have a strong couple of weeks in August coming up between Trap, It Ends with Us, and Alien all looking to make solid coin in addition to July holdovers still going strong.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

I think we get 2.6B for Avatar, with a significant domestic and China increase, and I'm thinking around 650-700 for Superman. 

Ah, I thought you were referring to domestic numbers only.