Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

I said this before, but it really does feel like Deadpool and Wolverine doing more than $200M this weekend really does feel like the perfect cherry on top to what has since been a great month and a half at the box office. 

The summer already got their behemoth-sized box office success with Inside Out 2 and had a string of other massively successful movies that did their part in keeping the box office thriving and keeping momentun strong whether they met expectations (Despicable Me 4), somewhat execeeded them (Bad Boys: Ride or Die, A Quiet Place: Day One) or massively exceeded them (Longlegs, Twisters). 

It's almost like Deadpool and Wolverine is a reward for the box office being on an upwards trajectory for a while, but it's a damn awesome reward and we still have three more potential big weekends coming up in August. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My lord that RDJ news combined with these Deadpool numbers vs. reception are bleak for those of us who are....let's say, skeptical about this hegemony that the MCU has had over films. A hegemony that appeared to finally be fading a bit, too. At least it will help keep our theaters alive and thriving, though, so trying not to be too dickish about it. The numbers of Twisters, Longlegs, DM4, and IO2 this weekend are really excellent and make me happy.

There's still questions marks over your regular MCU films but when they decide to make something an event no one can compete

• Like 1

The reaction on Reddit to the RDJ news seems to depend on where you look.

comic book Reddit: [shoots load] 

film/pop culture Reddit: [eyeroll]

luckily for marvel, both groups will turn up in the end. 

• Like 4

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

So how’s Didi doing in its limited release?

Didi earned $100,000 on Friday in only 5 screens. The PTA was $20,000.

Not sure where it will end up, but that's a pretty strong start. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ThomasNicole said:

I hope Russos deliver something in the level of Cherry, The Grey Man and Citadel for Feige 

It’s what he deserves for thinking just rehashing the past again and again even with his crew is the artistic direction an allegedly “comic lover” should go

It doesn't really matter. I'm pretty blase blase on the existence of these MCU movies. They'll make gobs of cash, who cares. And like the examples you give, the Russos aren't really making enticing movies otherwise so there's nothing lost.

8 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

There's still questions marks over your regular MCU films but when they decide to make something an event no one can compete

I mean, isn't that the comics, too? Granted, even the most popular comic runs aren't that popular, but when Marvel or even DC want something to be an event, they treat it like one and people show up.

Also, the success of the big event films is what allows them leeway when The Marvels falls below expectations. They don't really lose much in the long run from those failures because the highs of the MCU are high.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

My lord that RDJ news combined with these Deadpool numbers vs. reception are bleak for those of us who are....let's say, skeptical about this hegemony that the MCU has had over films. A hegemony that appeared to finally be fading a bit, too. At least it will help keep our theaters alive and thriving, though, so trying not to be too dickish about it. The numbers of Twisters, Longlegs, DM4, and IO2 this weekend are really excellent and make me happy.

This is avenue of complaint is exhausting. People complaining about people not going to the movies and the ending of theatrical then complaining about there being movies people want to watch because they're not the films they personally want to see.  Complaining about the MCU refusing to die and then applauding the Minions 6th movie and Twisters is a bit much.

• Like 19
  • Heart 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

This is avenue of complaint is exhausting. People complaining about people not going to the movies and the ending of theatrical then complaining about there being movies people want to watch because they're not the films they personally want to see.  Complaining about the MCU refusing to die and then applauding the Minions 6th movie and Twisters is a bit much.

I'm sorry, but nothing beats having a person who genuinely wants to see both franchise films and completely original movies to succeed. 

[watching leaked footage] I like the FF4 aesthetic. Wish marvel leaned harder into that sense of idiosyncrasy on more films. Pascal still feels miscast 

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

People cried bloody murder about Trevor, Ben Kingsley's Mandarin. 

To this day it's one of the best things Marvel has done. :rofl:

I agree it was pretty funny. I haven't even seen that movie all the way through but lol

Just now, Welcbr12 said:

Guys, I can't delete it, just the text get deleted 

backspace on the tweet until it disappears and then put "." or something. This might be difficult if you're on mobile.

• Like 1