Eric Prime

DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE WEEKEND THREAD | 211 DOM, 233.1 OS, 444.1 WW | Disney does it again!

Empire tweeted out that Deadpool Sunday should be around 51 million. And somewhere between 209-210 million for the weekend

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Firepower said:

2. What's the point of spiritual "remake" with bad actors?

What’s wrong with waiting until release to pass judgement on the acting? And nice deflection away from your botched argument of 3-decade old trash

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firepower said:

I can find much better unknowns in my backyard, male cast looks horrendous, worse than CW D-list actors, and female cast looks like it belongs to a different movie, I could've tolerated rehash if the cast was actually solid.

Because they already did that? Alien 3 kinda did that, Life did that without xenomorph. Resurrection, while being a horror comedy, also did "a group of characters walking dark corridors and escaping a space ship/station full of aliens". It doesn't work because it was already done before more than once, done better. They should've done Alien: Isolation, it mixed familiar with new and expanded lore in a compelling way, a win-win situation if done right.

I will not stand for Cailee Spaeny slander she has been on a roll picking good roles since Priscilla

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Honestly, despite all the complains, i think SH fans sometimes also downplay the very genre they love in order to defend it. I’ve seen so many fans this past days answering negative opinions over Deadpool on social media with “it’s not supposed to be artistic or have great ideas and script, it’s supposed to be fun”. You can’t make a fun movie that also have artistic goals? I can name a few CBM projects that have both, including on MCU. 

Maybe I'm being glib about Superhero films in general, but even the best ones are ridden with plot holes and conveniences. Because they literally have to be. It's the nature of the beast. The most I can hope for is entertainment, because the fact that the events of Endgame happened, yet the world of the MCU still resembles our own in any way, is absolutely stupid.

22 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

What’s wrong with waiting until release to pass judgement on the acting?

We have plenty of footage and they also released a prologue, my opinion is not gonna change, the cast is so bad I actually confused this Archie guy with some other piece of wood because they look alike in darkness. Since Alvarez said he cast actors based on their answer to the question if they watched every single Alien film and not if they are actually good actors/did good audition, it's not surprising he got a cast like this. Walton Goggins didn't play or knew about Fallout, but he was terrific in the adaptation of it and maybe the best part of the show. Imagine if they said no to him just because he's not a gamer.

22 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

And nice deflection away from your botched argument of 3-decade old trash

What botched argument? That they already did "back to roots"? Well, they did, you can also count Life even if it's not a part of Alien franchise. And those "back to basics" all had solid casts as well, so idk what's your point. If "been there done that done better" didn't work before, then why would it work now?

21 minutes ago, Michael Gary Scott said:

I will not stand for Cailee Spaeny slander she has been on a roll picking good roles since Priscilla

I have nothing against Caliee, but I think she's miscast here.

Edited by Firepower

29 minutes ago, baumer said:

Empire tweeted out that Deadpool Sunday should be around 51 million. And somewhere between 209-210 million for the weekend

Out opening the OG Avengers? The only thing that makes that ok for me is that it’s also out opening JW.

• Like 1

INSIDE OUT II's overseas gross is bigger than the worldwide gross of the current number 2 movie, DUNE II. It will also be bigger than the final worldwide gross of DESPICABLE ME IV. The only worldwide total that'll make more is that of DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE and the difference wouldn't be that much. Maybe just 100M-150M.

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

We have plenty of footage and they also released a prologue, my opinion is not gonna change, the cast is so bad I actually confused this Archie guy with some other piece of wood because they look alike in darkness. Since Alvarez said he cast actors based on their answer to the question if they watched every single Alien film and not if they are actually good, it's not surprising he got cast like this. Walton Goggins didn't play or knew about Fallout, but he was terrific in the adaptation of it and maybe the best part of the show.

What botched argument? That they already did "back to roots"? Well, they did, you can also count Life even if it's not a part of Alien franchise. And those "back to basics" all had solid casts as well, so idk what's your point. If "been there done that" didn't work before, then why would it work now?

1: What. Romulus. Prologue. Link me. I’m daring you. L-O-L. There’s been a teaser, a trailer, then the red-band final trailer

2: I also dare you to link me to Fede saying that acting talent was irrelevant in the casting process. Moreover, it’s a director’s prerogative to cast a film however the hell they see fit. If he wants people familiar with the source material, good for him. But show me where he says “acting” was irrelevant.

3: What’s laughable on the second argument is that you think two poorly regarded films from 30 years ago have any relevance to the box office or critical landscape today. Welcome to the 21st century, it’s nice here(?)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Dang, y’all really think BTSV could jump THAT much? $200M OW would be insanity 

It’s spider-man brand, the biggest superhero in cinema industry, so… 

4 hours ago, thajdikt said:

Over 200M views on Instagram on the RDJ video. One of the most watched instagram videos of all time. Not even 24 hours. Marvel got their attention at least

What’s the record? Do you know by any chance 

7 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Dang, y’all really think BTSV could jump THAT much? $200M OW would be insanity 

I walked it back. I thought Across opened at 150m and that a 25% boost was probable. But I had it wrong, it opened to 120m. It’s not making an 80m jump. But it will top IO2’s record OW for animation, for sure

8 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I walked it back. I thought Across opened at 150m and that a 25% boost was probable. But I had it wrong, it opened to 120m. It’s not making an 80m jump. But it will top IO2’s record OW for animation, for sure

I'll definitely take the under on that. Pencil me in for $135-150M.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leoh said:

It’s spider-man brand, the biggest superhero in cinema industry, so… 

I was thinking $150M floor and $180M ceiling. Maybe higher. I guess it could do $200M but idk. I do trust lord miller with the quality of the film. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

1: What. Romulus. Prologue. Link me. I’m daring you. L-O-L. There’s been a teaser, a trailer, then the red-band final trailer

2: I also dare you to link me to Fede saying that acting talent was irrelevant in the casting process.

He said he didn't consider actors who said they didn't watch every single Alien movie, which means acting talent was irrelevant to him. He rejected some actor by his own words because he watched "only" 4 movies in the franchise, link in the movie's topic.

Moreover, it’s a director’s prerogative to cast a film however the hell they see fit.

And it's my prerogative to not watch Alien movie with such a poor cast.

If he wants people familiar with the source material, good for him. But show me where he says “acting” was irrelevant.

Footage showed acting was irrelevant to him, otherwise he would have cast real actors in male cast and somebody else in female cast. Also what I already wrote above.

3: What’s laughable on the second argument is that you think two poorly regarded films from 30 years ago have any relevance to the box office or critical landscape today. Welcome to the 21st century, it’s nice here(?)

I actually think it'll get great critics reviews and its 200 mln worlwide box office against 60-70 mln budget, for no real reason just like Prey did, while being worse than those "two poorly regarded films from 30 years ago". Modern critical landscape, whatever the hell it even means.

Edited by Firepower
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

This is avenue of complaint is exhausting. People complaining about people not going to the movies and the ending of theatrical then complaining about there being movies people want to watch because they're not the films they personally want to see.  Complaining about the MCU refusing to die and then applauding the Minions 6th movie and Twisters is a bit much.

It’s an Ouroboros.

Ke Huy Quan Reading GIF by Marvel Studios

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Marvel is definitely cinema. Anything that is released in theaters is cinema and art, and I'm mostly glad for everything up through Endgame. From a storytelling standpoint, I just personally think the concept of the multiverse is absolutely antithetical to what I believe defines the storytelling form in terms of stakes and emotional connection. It uproots the fundamental premises on which stories are told in a coherent, emotional way. Lest you think this is an anti-MCU thing, I also profoundly did not like Everything Everywhere All At Once for this exact reason, and it was an A24 Best Picture winner. Didn't like the second Spider-Verse that everyone jizzed their shorts over either. First Spider-Verse was great, it was a cool one off, wish I never had to see a multiverse again. That's just my opinion. I don't think that my opinion should reflect cinema or the industry at-large. But that's why I find it so discouraging. It looks like we are getting more multiverse stuff dominating screens, and I'm not gonna pretend I like it or find it good. Yeah I bitch about theatrical staying open. I sure do, most weekends. But yeah, I really question whether my love for theatrical trumps my doubts about this as an artistic concept. Just me personally, of course, but I'm not pretending or hiding that's a real question for me going forward.

4 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

You may not intend it, but the suggestion that a movie can't be both a good time and cinematically interesting is absurd. These divisions into franchises vs art, "cinephiles" vs "simple people who just want to have a good time", are artificial and unnecessary, there was no problem when massively popular movies (like Back to the Future and Indiana Jones!) were both great entertainment and works of creative personal expression. The backlash to certain particular MCU movies stems from them either removing the latter from the equation or minimizing it beneath endless brand perpetuation.

4 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

I know the context is McU movies so I want to ask a question regarding it.

Who determines what is “cinematically interesting” and what is not? Are there any criteria’s? If yes, then who determines them?

I can venture that perhaps critical review or audience reviews or both are indicative of “interesting”. If that were so, MCU (at least pre endgame) would largely fit that criteria. 

The idea of a interconnected universe and episodic production, while not entirely new, was certainly interesting and well executed. And this board has seen plenty of debate whether directors like Coogler, Gunn, Favreau, etc we’re able to express their creativeness in their movies or not. So I am not gonna re-litigate that. 

Wouldn’t then “cinematically interesting” boil down to subjective interpretations just like “good times”? And those decrying  SH movies as not being “cinematically interesting” be imposing their own opinions? Essentially gate keeping what is and what is not cinema and interesting

Marvel Studios didn’t create the concept of cinematic serialized storytelling. Marvel Studios under Kevin Feige perfected what George Lucas created which is popular blockbusters with world building with Star Wars. ‘Cinephiles’ of today - whatever that word means, it sounds kinky - are no different than from the 70s. The complaints of what is and what isn’t ‘cinema’ that Scorsese brought, the complaints about blockbusters dominating film conversations and dominating at the box office and their worth is a tale as old as the first film with sound, let alone the first film that wasn’t black and white.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is today the biggest film franchise of all time with more than $30B across all their films, and that isn’t even counting the Sony’s Spider-Man and Fox X-Men joints. Before they were around, Scorsese’s films were criticized by film snobs or film bros from the past about the sanctity of ‘true cinema’. Same criticisms were thrown around to Star Wars. 

It’s cyclical, it’s dumb and it will never stop, and never end. As for me I’m glad that Marvel Jesus is around us and that Deadpool and Wolverine blowing up will help movie theaters to stick around for my beloved Marvel blockbusters and the other films I like to watch when I go there. I’m hyped as fuck for Captain America: Brave New World, Fantastic Four, Thunderbolts and don’t even get me started with Avengers: Doomsday and Avengers: Secret Wars.

That’s what cinema is about. We go to the movie theaters because we love stories, and people trying to gate keep what cinema is will never stop and never cease to exist, their arguments will always be there, as long as cinema exists. It’s exhausting and cyclical like Talisman Ring said and it’s just something that will always be around. 

Anyways, all hail GOD EMPEROR DOOM.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I wonder if there'll ever be an animated movie that can open with 200M.

Inside Out 3 in the next decade (most likely June 2034), which I think it will double up the Thursday previews of IO2 from 13 million to 23 million.

Edited by Migs20242