AniNate

08/09 WEEKEND: DP&W 53.8, IEWU 50, Borderlands 8.6 ​💣💣💣

First world problems over here but, the clear overestimation for It Ends With Us is a little silly. Like I know a 50M opening sounds shiny and exciting, but having an actually reasonable Sunday hold and putting out a 48M estimate is still going to get you a lot of good headlines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

First world problems over here but, the clear overestimation for It Ends With Us is a little silly. Like I know a 50M opening sounds shiny and exciting, but having an actually reasonable Sunday hold and putting out a 48M estimate is still going to get you a lot of good headlines.

I guess they were caught off guard as to just how frontloaded it ended up being.

This weekend puts the month of August to be keeping pace with last year, but with another likely $50M opener next week. It's likely to be the biggest August since 2016, when Suicide Squad broke August records.

It'll be only the second month of 2024 that'll outperform 2023 so far, but it does feel like we're at the tipping point, and we might see the rest of the year go the 2024 way.

5 minutes ago, Eric is Trapped said:

The studio wants the nice shiny round number for Sunday weekend headlines. No one cares about actuals besides us boxoffice nerds.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I guess they were caught off guard as to just how frontloaded it ended up being.

the prediction on every site was around 45M so 48M still would be good. 

Edited by vale9001

the fri- sat drop comparison with movies from 10 or more years ago doesn't have too much sense. This had wednesday previews and thursday was basically almost a full day.

I remember at the times of twilight and the fault of our stars thursday previews were still meant to be midnight previews.

Edited by vale9001

57 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

yeah they should have released it last weekend or this weekend would easily flown past 300 million 

Yeah I am really happy it has held as well as it has but imagine if they had it finished and were able to open it that first weekend of May or swapped it with DM4 and had it open during the 4 of July week or this weekend. Oh well still doing pretty dam good.