CJohn

SPECTRE | 11/6/15 | Final Trailer on Page 126! | Twitter reactions coming in, STID 2.0?

'Social Justice Warrior' sounds like a compliment tho. Only on the internet would some goobers think that that's in any way insulting

Theres nothing wrong at all with being a Social Justice Warrior, its when pretentious blowhards go out of their way to by highly offended by something innocuous or sometimes even trivial and make a lot of noise about it is when it turns people off which is what has given Social Justice Warrior a negative connotation.  Those types just come off as people who have never really accomplished anything of merit in their lives so they desperately want to feel like the good people by identifying and attacking anything at all they perceive as offensive or an injustice.

These long-winded frantic posts water is making over something somebody said that can be vaguely interpreted as racist(and derailing the thread in the process) is a great example.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with Jessie's post.

That being said, I disagree that Elba doesn't have the chops for Bond -- he didn't come across as thuggish at all in PACIFIC RIM, for example (in fact, quite the opposite).

I always thought Elba was all class.

Granted I never watched the wire.

Theres nothing wrong at all with being a Social Justice Warrior, its when pretentious blowhards go out of their way to by highly offended by something innocuous or sometimes even trivial and make a lot of noise about it is when it turns people off which is what has given Social Justice Warrior a negative connotation.  Those types just come off as people who have never really accomplished anything of merit in their lives so they desperately want to feel like the good people by identifying and attacking anything at all they perceive as offensive or an injustice.

These long-winded frantic posts water is making over something somebody said that can be vaguely interpreted as racist(and derailing the thread in the process) is a great example.

i'm gonna have to say the main problem is that people like you never read or take seriously the short or long posts

1tu5y.gif

'Social Justice Warrior' sounds like a compliment tho. Only on the internet would some goobers think that that's in any way insulting

I disagree. The term reads as very mocking/sarcastic to me towards the target's "alleged" self-righteousness and self-importance.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

I just don't understand how they can have this out before Justice League of America. Besides, Spectre was on the Justice Society. DC can't do anything right.

Yes, I'm back. :P

• Like 1

is it not a bit hypocritical to say there's nothing wrong with jessie's post and then point out exactly why there's something wrong with his post? he is incorrect in saying that idris elba is thuggish, which you apparently agree with, but for some reason everyone is terrified of considering the fact that there might be racial undertones to such an opinion.

it comes down to the fact that idris elba would make a good bond, again, like you agree with. and if someone thinks he wouldn't, that's completely fine, but back up your opinion. so then if someone backs up said opinion with "he's thuggish" what's the next step in the discussion? well, "idris elba is thuggish" (or "idris elba sounds more like a thug" or any other variant) is an incorrect statement. we should examine this statement, as it's the only reason they gave for their opinion.

an argument has been presented with a single, incorrect statement to support it. throughout history, time and time again such a situation has been a red flag for prejudice. an extreme example would be the nazis' persecution of jewish people, among other minorities. they defended this oppression with fake science about the "aryan race" being "superior" which i'm sure we all know today is incorrect. they had no correct/factual arguments for jewish people being inferior. their reason for the holocaust was prejudice and irrational hatred. it was wrong. but they said the reason for their actions was the "aryan race" science, which, again, was completely incorrect. they said that because they needed to present a reason, but in reality they had no justification, they were prejudiced, hateful, incorrect, wrong.

so back to our situation. someone says "idris elba would be a bad bond." what do they say is their reason? "he is thuggish." is this statement correct? no, it's incorrect. so what is the real reason?

here are some reputable sources explaining the link between the word "thug" and racism against black people: [1][2].

i'm not saying that there aren't people that superficially fit the "thug" stereotype. but idris elba is clearly not one of them. yet like those articles explain, even completely harmless, innocent black men are vilified and demonized as "thugs." how do we know it's because they're black? because white men aren't called thugs. i'm primarily referring to cases in the media here where innocent black men are murdered by white police and are then slandered as "thugs" to make it seem like they deserved it, while white men can be the perpetrators of rape, mass shootings, etc, but they're angelicized and people say it's because of "mental illness" and they were "lone wolves." here is an exact example of this:

tumblr_inline_nm0vcjwVsx1qfb043_1280.jpg

the same crime was committed the same day by two different groups, one black and one white. the same reporter wrote articles on both crimes. the article about the black men used mug shots while the article about the white men used school photos. i could go on about this, but instead i recommend you reading those articles i linked written by actual black men whose lives are affected by the issue, and then looking up more articles by the same black men and reading more opinions from their colleagues and more black people until you've read about the life experiences of a wide array of black people. that's where i got my opinions and education on social justice issues, listening to a lot of oppressed people's opinions (which aren't identical) and seeing what the general landscape of issues pertaining to the relevant oppressions is.

i hope you now understand that the issue of the "thuggification" of black men due to anti-black racism is very widespread and ingrained into society worldwide. saying that idris elba is a thug, or thuggish, or sounds like a thug, is part of this very problem. if that's someone's only reason for saying he wouldn't be a good bond, then it's highly likely that they were, like millions of others, influenced by society, the media, etc, and that is their reason for saying an incorrect statement like "idris elba sounds more thuggish."

the point of all this is that there is a lot of evidence that people's reason for not wanting idris elba to play james bond is because he's black.

Ive already explained how your definition of Thug is incorrect, you've chosen to ignore that and are adamant of trying to prove my comment as racial. Its getting a little annoying now water so could you just do us all a favour and shut the fuck up?

I remember you now, you were the guy trying to convince everyone that the makers behind Interstellar were racist because there was only one black guy in their crew lol, now I know not to take you seriously.

• Like 4

i'm gonna have to say the main problem is that people like you never read or take seriously the short or long posts

1tu5y.gif

I don't think it has anything to do with the length of the posts, but more to do with the poster and in this instance, its no wonder people don't take you seriously.

• Like 1

I get why the extremists annoy folks, I'm just talking about the chosen term. It doesn't really have a negative connotation, it sounds kinda cool. There's an interesting conversation to be had there, but instead the internet memes a term that has the opposite of the intended effect  :lol:

Ive already explained how your definition of Thug is incorrect, you've chosen to ignore that and are adamant of trying to prove my comment as racial. Its getting a little annoying now water so could you just do us all a favour and shut the fuck up?

I remember you now, you were the guy trying to convince everyone that the makers behind Interstellar were racist because there was only one black guy in their crew lol, now I know not to take you seriously.

I don't think it has anything to do with the length of the posts, but more to do with the poster and in this instance, its no wonder people don't take you seriously.

actually i was talking about how every single one of christopher nolan's movies is about middle aged Straight White Males™ and that interstellar was more of the same, and looked to be kind of conservative. when the movie came out i was proved right. and it's not my definition of thug, it's people who are CALLED thugs' definition of it. my whole post was polite and civil, meanwhile you just condescendingly told me to shut the fuck up, which falls squarely into the bullying/abuse category that is prohibited by the rules. lastly i linked all my posts back to the thread topic, bond, while you keep getting defensive about things i've already academically proven and making no mention of the thread topic-- you're the one derailing the thread, i was just having a discussion about james bond and the various actors that could play him, and why you were wrong about a certain actor NOT playing him. it's completely illogical and baffling to me that i can make a nicely worded post explaining myself clearly, citing sources, giving examples, and appealing to your morality, and then you say thins like "it's no wonder people don't take you seriously." what does that even mean? who should we take seriously then? it's obvious your objection is to the CONTENT of my posts, and if you think that social justice shouldn't be taken seriously then i believe there's nothing left to say. but at least make your position clear (like i have) instead of hiding behind snarky comebacks that don't address anything in the discussion at hand.

Edited by water

Great looking trailer, I liked it even better than MIRN. Far more dramatic than that random collection of action shots. (Though you gotta love the plane stunt.)

also, get this thread hijacking shit out of here

feel free to go post in a thread for the next James Bond

• Like 1

actually i was talking about how every single one of christopher nolan's movies is about middle aged Straight White Males™ and that interstellar was more of the same, and looked to be kind of conservative. when the movie came out i was proved right. and it's not my definition of thug, it's people who are CALLED thugs' definition of it. my whole post was polite and civil, meanwhile you just condescendingly told me to shut the fuck up, which falls squarely into the bullying/abuse category that is prohibited by the rules. lastly i linked all my posts back to the thread topic, bond, while you keep getting defensive about things i've already academically proven and making no mention of the thread topic-- you're the one derailing the thread, i was just having a discussion about james bond and the various actors that could play him, and why you were wrong about a certain actor NOT playing him. it's completely illogical and baffling to me that i can make a nicely worded post explaining myself clearly, citing sources, giving examples, and appealing to your morality, and then you say thins like "it's no wonder people don't take you seriously." what does that even mean? who should we take seriously then? it's obvious your objection is to the CONTENT of my posts, and if you think that social justice shouldn't be taken seriously then i believe there's nothing left to say. but at least make your position clear (like i have) instead of hiding behind snarky comebacks that don't address anything in the discussion at hand.

24f0da3ca9c883ccf23598ff0f04a69cdc9b01ab

• Like 1

Great looking trailer, I liked it even better than MIRN. Far more dramatic than that random collection of action shots. (Though you gotta love the plane stunt.)

also, get this thread hijacking shit out of here

feel free to go post in a thread for the next James Bond

LMFAO