ViewerAnon

ALIEN: ROMULUS | Spoiler Discussion Thread | ***SPOILERS***

26 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Loads of Letterboxd reviews talking about an all-time jump scare in the last 20 minutes. I only saw the movie this morning and can’t even recall what it is? Anyone enlighten me? 

It has to be when she puts kicks the alien blood causing the hole in the ship and she is sucked out......the sound is mute as she climbs back up the rope and SlenderBaby head pops out with a loud scream.

• Like 1

Really liked this, but the Ian Holm stuff is genuinely some of the most infuriating stuff ever. Does anybody actually, unironically like this whole "deepfake a dead actor to life" thing movies are now doing? Or even just this whole "deepfake somebody to look younger" in general, like they're doing with Mark Hamill? Like from what I can gather, everybody hates it, it costs a fortune to do...why can't you just do a recast? And in this case, you didn't even need Ian Holm since he's just an android and not the character from the first movie. It's so stupid.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Loads of Letterboxd reviews talking about an all-time jump scare in the last 20 minutes. I only saw the movie this morning and can’t even recall what it is? Anyone enlighten me? 

The hybrid suddenly popping out as she was climbing the rope from being sucked into space got me big time lol. Not one who usually falls for jump scares easily but A+ use of sound design and timing there.

• Like 4

The whole outrunning, walking past, fighting off facehuggers seemed a bit much.  In the past, once Facehuggers engaged, you were toast.  Figure the crew was owned much sooner.

On 8/14/2024 at 4:53 AM, ViewerAnon said:

I just want to whine about some stuff and I’m gonna use Borys Kit’s tweet as a jumping off point because it confuses me. Not that he likes the movie - it’s aggressively fine when it’s not stepping on a rake and smacking itself in the face - but one particular line…

Borys-Kit-1.jpg

”never feels like it’s pandering to nostalgia or fan service"

Ian Holm is digitally resurrected (badly) and may have more lines than in the original ALIEN, he’s in this a lot. He says “I can’t lie to you about your chances, but you have my sympathies” again.

After killing an alien someone actually says “Get away from her, you bitch!” (Not to mention stray callbacks like “I prefer the term artificial person myself”)

The last act is ripped wholesale from ALIEN: RESURRECTION. 

The movie is nothing but callbacks and fan service.

Yeah and it's entertaining as fuck because of that. I love this movie I love the fact that Andy says get away from her you bitch. I love the bishop line about being synthetic I loved every single nod and tip of the cap to the original two films.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Knock It Off 2

Well I'm a huge aliens fan and a big alien fan and I loved all the callbacks to it. I thought the get away from her you bitch line was perfect. I love the bishop line about being a synthetic person. I loved the CGI  ASH. Cornbread reference was awesome. I love the sets I didn't really care for the whole Prometheus angle at the end but by that point I was so in love with the movie that I really didn't care. 

And Callie was so badass and so likeable and she gave just enough of a Ripley vibe that in my opinion civil war got her noticed but this one's going to make her a star. 

This one's easily my favorite in the franchise after the first two. 

9/10

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

I do think that for all the fan service they gave us they missed one big opportunity in that it was in Bay two when it should have been in Bay 12.

2 hours ago, baumer said:

Well I'm a huge aliens fan and a big alien fan and I loved all the callbacks to it. I thought to get away from her you bitch line was perfect. I love the bishop line about being a synthetic person. I loved the CGI in home I love the sets I didn't really care for the whole Prometheus angle at the end but by that point I was so in love with the movie that I really didn't care. 

And Callie was so badass and so likeable and she gave just enough of a Ripley vibe that in my opinion civil war got her noticed but this one's going to make her a star. 

9/10

I know you're a massive fan Baumer so respect to your opinion. I didnt like the 'Bitch' line to be honest, it just felt too forced to me.

And i just thought there were too many call backs, especially in terms of lines said.  It actually took me out of the film a little but just because of how many call backs there were. A few here and there is fine.

I DID like the Alien Isolation door opening mechanism when they are first trying to get onto the station. That was pretty cool.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

I know you're a massive fan Baumer so respect to your opinion. I didnt like the 'Bitch' line to be honest, it just felt too forced to me.

And i just thought there were too many call backs, especially in terms of lines said.  It actually took me out of the film a little but just because of how many call backs there were. A few here and there is fine.

I DID like the Alien Isolation door opening mechanism when they are first trying to get onto the station. That was pretty cool.

I respect anyone's opinion about the movie. I obviously know that you're a massive fan as well. You can't expect everyone to like the call backs and the throwbacks and the fan service and so on. Maybe I was just in the right mood today but every single beat that they wanted to hit in terms of homages and call back and so on just hit me the right way. I could feel that the get away from her you bitch line was going to show up somewhere and when it did it just felt like it was perfect to me. But again we all have different opinions and it's cool. 

I guess we'll find out if they overdid it or it was just right, when the film ends with whatever multiplier it ends with.

• Like 1

I actually think the "get away.." usage was the worst callback in recent cinema history (#2 is Rey hiding important information in droid at the beginning of FA)

Thank god I knew about it before I watched the movie, otherwise I would be very angry. It devalues Aliens, but first of all, it just doesn't make any sense here. The queen was a female, so yeah, she was a bitch and she was trying to kill Newt at the moment. Here the xenomorph is already dead, so what was the point? Zero sense. 

I was waiting for the movie to get its own identity in the end, but it was just an hommage after hommage after hommage. The final part is the mix of Prometheus/Resurrection birth scenes in Covenant setting and then Rain was getting in the space suit just like Ripley was in the first film (exept there was a ton of tension in 1979) and acid blood used to make a hole and I just gave up.

And then Rain makes a log recording because that's how an Alien movie must end, right? Right!?

Oh dear

I dare to call myself a huge fan, love Alien3 and Resurrection btw, though I know they have problems and not everything works there, but they left footprints in cinema. What Romulus brings to the table? Gravity scenes, which....was inspired by Alien Isolation? Ok

P. S. I didn't hate the movie, it's like 6-7 for me, but I felt disappointed, it  felt like a fan made itstallatin for a museum. Another Terminator: Dark fate, but just with more respect to the franchise and made more competently 

Edited by cinema pal

On 8/19/2024 at 3:57 PM, baumer said:

Well I'm a huge aliens fan and a big alien fan and I loved all the callbacks to it. I thought to get away from her you bitch line was perfect. I love the bishop line about being a synthetic person. I loved the CGI in home I love the sets I didn't really care for the whole Prometheus angle at the end but by that point I was so in love with the movie that I really didn't care. 

9/10

This is why I loved it.  The "Nostalgia/Call backs/fan service" whatever you want to call it was done in way that worked.  It you are an 'Alien" franchise fan you caught everything, I know I did.    What people don't understand about this franchise is the fans love EVERY SINGLE MOVIE in their own way.  So Fede decided to give everyone something and that was cool to me.   The whole "Alien 5" rumors about erasing "Alien 3" never sat well with me. 

I liked how Fede embraced the whole franchise (Even Alien: Resurrection and Alien 3 which people criticize a lot).  Along with shouting out "Prometheus and Covenant".  Despite that it still felt fresh with this new young cast.  He did introduce some new things too.  Loved the whole Zero Gravity Acid Blood sequence too, very suspenseful and thrilling.  Rain and Andy made a great team in this film and really drove the final act.  Also I lost it when the 20th Century Fox Logo did the "Alien 3" Version.  That was a nice touch and showed me how much Fede loved this franchise.  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

24 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

What people don't understand about this franchise is the fans love EVERY SINGLE MOVIE in their own way.  So Fede decided to give everyone something 

Yep, I don't understand it. I expected from Fede to give me a new chapter in the franchise, not a rehash of familiar scenes and iconic quotes and the whole movie to be "Don't breathe", but in space". My bad :)

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

Yep, I don't understand it. I expected from Fede to give me a new chapter in the franchise, not a rehash of familiar scenes and iconic quotes and the whole movie to be "Don't breathe", but in space". My bad :)

It is a new chapter while embracing the previous films.  The timeline it's placed in was set up for certain call backs that's why it worked to me.   Also it wasn't like these were long scenes, It was little quick things and certain situations.  I'm interested to see what other ideas Fede has and wouldn't be against a sequel.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I wonder if Ridley Scott doesn’t like Aliens and doesn’t want it part of the canon.

Pretty much yes, he never outright said that, maybe because he seems to like Cameron and Cameron adores him, but you can tell he hates it by how he repies to questions about it and dances around them. Like when Covenant was released, he said he should've never let the franchise go after the first movie. And not that long ago he said he was furious they never approached him to do Alien sequel (which by all accounts is not true, he was approached, but refused to pursue other things). He always implied he disliked everything in the franchise not made by him, but trashed only AvP publicly.