Krissykins

Weekend thread August 16th-18th Alien Romulus $6.5m previews

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

See how people can talk about whatever general question and you keep coming back to MCU being a poor thing that needs to be defended from evil people that have an agenda against them?

Fine, let me change the franchise. MI7 was considered a flop because it costs 291M instead of 145M like MI4. The same logic applies to a lot of these movies that gross 600-700M and still are considered disappointments.

Clear now?

Anyone that thinks that Mission Impossible 7 didn’t eventually turn profit is also wrong. I don’t like the franchise, but MI8 isn’t happening because it’s a Tom Cruise’s passion project, regardless which narrative you buy. No one neither me are saying that Quantumania or The Marvels weren’t disappointments at the box office. What I’m saying is that Mendelson’s tweet about expecting every Marvel Studios film to make $1B to be called a success is unrealistic and unhealthy to box office discourse, also not rooted in reality. Eternals made more money than Dune 1 and it’s deemed a disappointment because of some wildly crazy narrative. 

Dune 2 isn’t deemed a failure and that has an INSANE reported $200m budget without the ancillary merchandising that Disney has full control of, and that’s without mentioning marketing. Like I’ve said, this narrative is silly and hilariously inconsistent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

I wish Joe Johnston did more film in the MCU. Probably not the Cap sequels but the style he brought to TFA on, say, Avengers probably would have gone hard as hell. 

Yeah what the hell happened to him. He has not made a major movie since. He's only 74 now which is younger than his mentor Spielberg or Scorsese or Sir Ridley. I guess he got burned out or something.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Eternals made more money than Dune 1 and it’s deemed a disappointment because of some wildly crazy narrative. 

I mean one had good WOM, a smaller budget, and an argument could be made the dual release likely took off some dollars and the other is Eternals.

(That said I liked Eternals more than Dune Part 1).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, emoviefan said:

Yeah what the hell happened to him. He has not made a major movie since. He's only 74 now which is younger than his mentor Spielberg or Scorsese or Sir Ridley. I guess he got burned out or something.

Joe Johnston knows how to make a damn fun blockbuster if we ignore Jurassic Park 3. Was having this conversation in the chat the other day when I gave Jumanji (1995) a rewatch, it, The Rocketeer and Cap 1 really do their job well on building the mood and delivering.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

I feel like I got to add to the Mission Conversation since it is my favorite action franchise. Dead Reckoning would have cost less if not for Covid. The Delays really did a number. It would have made more money if not for the release date and if Paramount did not do kind of a quiet  marketing campaign  where they went a whole year between trailers and  Barbenheimer buzz was blowing up.

9 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Still think it was a mistake Sony didn't give the Spider-Man re-releases a wider push beyond a one night event (on Mondays, no less) earlier this year. Or at least the Maguire trilogy. Those probably could've added another $30-40M to their lifetime totals considering they hadn't been officially reissued to theaters since their original runs in '02/'04/'07.

Agreed! I was bummed that none of them played in my area since I definitely would have gone to see all three of the Maguire originals.

I know it's probably going to be a blip like most of the limited showtime re-releases, but I'm rooting for the upcoming Fathom screenings of The Matrix to pull down solid numbers. Seeing it theatrically in 2021 after only ever having watched it at home was incredible. Definitely one of those movies that fans should make a point of seeing theatrically if they weren't around or weren't old enough for the original run.

16 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

He was supposed to direct a new Narnia movie but then the rights moved to Netflix so his version got killed. He was then gonna do a new Honey I Shrunk The Kids but that got delayed by COVID right as they were set to film, then delayed further and now it seems dead or in limbo.

He might just be retired, I remember him talking about doing that when he was set for Narnia.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Anyone that thinks that Mission Impossible 7 didn’t eventually turn profit is also wrong. I don’t like the franchise, but MI8 isn’t happening because it’s a Tom Cruise’s passion project, regardless which narrative you buy. No one neither me are saying that Quantumania or The Marvels weren’t disappointments at the box office. What I’m saying is that Mendelson’s tweet about expecting every Marvel Studios film to make $1B to be called a success is unrealistic and unhealthy to box office discourse, also not rooted in reality. Eternals made more money than Dune 1 and it’s deemed a disappointment because of some wildly crazy narrative. 

Dune 2 isn’t deemed a failure and that has an INSANE reported $200m budget without the ancillary merchandising that Disney has full control of, and that’s without mentioning marketing. Like I’ve said, this narrative is silly and hilariously inconsistent.

Eternals cost more than Dune 1 and and made less worldwide despite Dune 1 being on HBO Max. Eternals is a failure both critically and commercially and that is why it is never getting a sequel 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Should be a nice few weekends for holdovers.

Looking at sales around me, I think you can add Blink Twice, The Crow, The Forge and Afraid to the summer clearance sale 

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Eternals cost more than Dune 1 and and made less worldwide despite Dune 1 being on HBO Max. Eternals is a failure and that is why it is never getting a sequel 

Eternals came out during the pandemic, same as Dune, Shang-Chi and Black Widow. I wouldn’t count a sequel for Eternals just yet, and even if it never happened, the world building alone in that film will lead to some massive MCU ramifications that stand far beyond the U.S. government extracting Adamantium from Tiamut, like it will be explored in Captain America: Brand New World.

Eternals is a film that could get a sequel or not and still play a massive and important role in the MCU’s future, and I mean beyond Secret Wars. The Incredible Hulk came out in 2008 and will have a pay off with Captain America: Brave New World, when it comes to tapestry and world building, Marvel has proven time and time again how they are able to flip the narrative on films. Captain America: The First Avenger and Black Widow being well liked now like this very thread shows, or how Thor: The Dark World has a massive importance to Avengers: Endgame that ended up as the biggest film of all time and several plot threads that go from Thor’s films to Loki’s series and well, Deadpool & Wolverine.

2 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve been saying since forever:

It’s unhealthy to the box office and unrealistic to the MCU to expect all to break into $1B WW. 

Captain America: Brave New World and Thunderbolts* are on double duty to deliver a grounded MCU film, The Fantastic Four is all about to finally make these characters work in the big screen. Mendelson has the right mindset here. 

If Cap3 did 1.1B with Iron Man and Spiderman (!!) the best scenario for this movie is 550M total

for thunderbolts... 400/500 maybe. If its great 700M?

f4 500/750M

55 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Disney never expected much from those Pixar "first time in theaters" releases and it showed,

I felt like there was some marketing there for the Disney+ trio, like with fandango and rotten tomatoes advertisements. And a deal for Inside Out 2 tickets that I'm sure no one took up. But they kept them on the streaming service while also in theaters. I mean it was OK because early 2024 was a dead zone box office wise so it barely took screens away from anything.

13 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Incredible that people are still doing this "Dune was a failure" especially after the sequel made 700M

That’s now what I’m saying. What I’m saying is that the unrealistic $1B expectations for Dune 2 - and I remember all of those crazy predictions from last year - is crazy and that Dune 2 is a profitable film, just like Multiverse of Madness, Batman 1, Love and Thunder, Wakanda Forever and Vol. 3. Expecting all tenpoles to reach $1B is an insane proposition, it was before the pandemic, it is now. Not all Marvel Studios and DC Studios films will cross $1B, and expecting that to happen isn’t healthy box office discourse.

What I’m saying is that not setting unrealistic expectations to Dune 3 or Marvel Studios and DC Studios films are the way to go, we don’t need them to hit $1B every time since it’s much more at play. Clearly WB is on the Dune’s IP game to prop up to a major franchise, just like they did with GoT in TV, either by HBO spin offs or videogames. 

What I’m saying is that some consistency and realistic expectations when it comes to tenpoles are in order and a wise path to follow going forward.

Edited by ZattMurdock