AniNate

JUICY WEEKEND - BJBJ releases with $111M (DHD)

It's interesting that the percentage of people seeing the movie for Michael Keaton (27%) was bigger than the percentage of people seeing for Jenna Ortega and Winona Rider combined (25%).

I guess it make sense since Beetlejuice could be the villain, but he was also one of the most flashy aspects of the first movie.

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Nothing can convince me this is the natural result for a Beetlejuice sequel. It’s doing THIS good because of Wednesday connection. Period end of story 

Agree. There’s also a reverence for Burton’s style that the new generations are in tune with.  You wonder how long it will be before Disney, Burton and Selick talk Nightmare Before Christmas follow-up. 

13 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Nothing can convince me this is the natural result for a Beetlejuice sequel. It’s doing THIS good because of Wednesday connection. Period end of story 

I don’t think it’s doing this well just because of a TV show. There’s definitely a lot of explanations as to why it’s doing well 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Kon said:

It's interesting that the percentage of people seeing the movie for Michael Keaton (27%) was bigger than the percentage of people seeing for Jenna Ortega and Winona Rider combined (25%).

I guess it make sense since Beetlejuice could be the villain, but he was also one of the most flashy aspects of the first movie.

I know the main reason I showed up was to see him do his thing again. He's a large part of the appeal of the movie imo so those stats make sense. That's more of a popular character being heavily tied to actor thing vs Keaton star power. But still...the Keaton walk-ups have arrived. It only took them over a year but they finally made it to the theater. 

15 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I don't see why it's so difficult to believe Beetlejuice 2 could be big due to the original.

It's true the original movie wasn't so big at that time, but the audience seems to have really grow over time. There was a 4 seasons animated show and a Broadway musical.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Agree. There’s also a reverence for Burton’s style that the new generations are in tune with.  You wonder how long it will be before Disney, Burton and Selick talk Nightmare Before Christmas follow-up. 

Burton doesnt want a sequel and he said he wont work for Disney 

3 minutes ago, AnthonyJPHer said:

I don’t think it’s doing this well just because of a TV show. There’s definitely a lot of explanations as to why it’s doing well 

It's all of the above. Wednesday , the 36 year buildup for sequel to a  movie that was huge on Home video and has probably been a Halloween/cosplay staple for all these years ect ect

20 minutes ago, John Marston said:

And what's interesting it feels like she has supporting part, not lead.

15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Isn't there bad blood between Burton and Selick?

18 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

IDK he's said a couple times that not only would he never revisit Nightmare Before Christmas but also that he'd never work with Disney again

I think Tim Burton is most likely gonna stay with Warner Bros. 

He's had a long-working relationship with them going back as far as Pee-wee's Big Adventure (WB has distributed nearly half of his movies) and after this massive opening with Beetlejuice Beetlejuice, I have to imagine Warner Bros. is looking to sign an exclusive deal with him so that he can continue to make movies for them.

If they haven't already, I think Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy (co-CEOs of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Group) should really sign a deal with Burton. That would fit into WB's model of hiring A-list talent to work for them, even if it's done to make the studio look more appealing to buyers if David Zaslav ever wants to sell it. 

Nevertheless, I hope a sign-in deal happens so that Burton can make the movies he truly wants to make with a studio supporting his creative vision as they are with what Maggie Gyllenhaal and Paul Thomas Anderson is doing for them right now. 

Edited by Ryan C
  • Like 1

I’m not shocked at all that this movie has broken out. The first is a perennial Halloween classic. Look at how huge Hocus Pocus 2 was on Disney + a couple of years ago.

Edited by Chaz
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Isn't there bad blood between Burton and Selick?

No I don't think so, Selick just doesn't like that Burtons name is on the film the way it is. He wasn't majorly involved in the production and to this day a lot of people still think he directed it because of what they did. It was a marketing gimmick. 

57 minutes ago, Kon said:

Miniscule negligible 2% difference for a spot poll. A much higher percentage said they were interested in the entire cast anyway.

22 minutes ago, Kon said:

I don't see why it's so difficult to believe Beetlejuice 2 could be big due to the original.

It's true the original movie wasn't so big at that time, but the audience seems to have really grow over time. There was a 4 seasons animated show and a Broadway musical.

It was a surprise hit in theaters and instantly showed signs of a long life with how big it was in video rentals.  Go back to LA Times articles from 1988/1989 and you'll see how it blew up on home video and that only continued over the years and decades with it becoming a legit halloween classic. 

24 minutes ago, Kon said:

I don’t think the tv series was overly popular. It looks to have run opposite TMNT for instance, which was the real star of Saturday Morning at that point. The Beetlejuice character was popular however in a similar way to Slimer. I think vague nostalgia of Keaton’s character being the main driver of this bus makes sense to me. Certainly O’Hara and Ryder and Ortega having hit shows as of late raised the profile though.

Deadline has this quote. Someone smarter than me does this mean WB spent $100 mil or the other companies pay WB to use Beetlejuice in their advertising?

Warners had their largest promo partner campaign on Beetlejuice Beetlejuice with a value north of $100M across 35 different partners. Get this, the partner push was more than double the size of Barbie

11 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Miniscule negligible 2% difference for a spot poll. A much higher percentage said they were interested in the entire cast anyway.

2% is a minuscule difference. However, you should remember 27% is just for Keaton, while 25% is for Rider and Ortega combined. That's why I find it a little surprising.

You're right the interest in the entire cast has a higher percentage (38%).

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Funny how shit accounts on Twitter are posting then Jenna number but ignoring the Keaton.