MovieGuyKyle17

Early Friday results...

Update:

FRIDAY 4:30 PM: I’m still on vacation but can’t ignore four new movies opening in wide release and performing as expected. Universal’s comedy The Five–Year Engagement (2,936 theaters) from Judd Apatow’s banner is falling victim to Sony/Screen Gems holdover Think Like A Man (2,014 theaters) which was on top after matinees. It looks to gross between $4M-$6M today and between $15M-$16M for the weekend. The Five-Year Engagement has a Friday estimate of $3.5M-$4.5M and a $12M-$13M weekend. Sony’s Pirates! Band Of Misfits (3,358 theaters) should come in #3 with between $2.5M-$3M with a weekend close to $10M. Lionsgate’s Safe (2,266 theaters) could come in at $2.5M-$3M today with a weekend between $6.5M-$7.5M. And finally Relativity’s acquisition of Intrepid Pictures’ The Raven (2,203 theaters) is coming in between $2.5M-$3M today with a weekend between $7M-$8M. Refined numbers and full analysis tonight.

FF is a tentpole, far from a dump. And Nightmare was going to do well no matter what. Obsessed, good point, but for the most part the week before Summer kicks off is not the best time to release a movie. FF was released the first week of May, it just happened to fall on the last day of April as well.

I was just saying that it's not a bad weekend to open a movie in general. It's what studios make of it. If you would schedule "The Avengers" on April 26th, nothing would change. I really would like to see the summer season getting extended to april. Just release the right movies and it will work.But i probably will never understand scheduling. There's no typical family movie in may for example, but in june we have 2 animations within 2 weeks. "Madagascar" openend on Memorial Day back in 2005, it would be the perfect opening Date for part 3 as well.

Muppets was overestimated by this board by a hell of a longshot.My original prediction was 75m, what did it end up with? Has it broken 80m?Fact is it was never that popular and it looked lame.

88 million

88 million

Muppets are definitely more iconic; but that's the bummer: they're icons but not necessarily popular. Of course what's even more of a bummer is that the plot of the movie actually ACKNOWLEDGED that they weren't as popular anymore so it kinda hurts that they were right.I do hope for a bump up with the sequel...

Maybe he just isn't meant to play lead. That could be why the Muppets disappointed.

I disagree with this statement, I have always loved Jason Segel and he did great in Jeff, Who Lives At Home. I think Engagement is a huge disappointment considering it was talking 20 something million for the weekend. I believe Segel is a leading man and he did great on The Muppets.

Good one TLAM, I never expected it to do so well - number 1 two weeks in a row! Really disappointing for 5YE, obviously - I guess Segel and Blunt together isn't a big enough draw.Want Hunger Games numbers...

Update:

FRIDAY 4:30 PM: I’m still on vacation but can’t ignore four new movies opening in wide release and performing as expected. Universal’s comedy The Five–Year Engagement (2,936 theaters) from Judd Apatow’s banner is falling victim to Sony/Screen Gems holdover Think Like A Man (2,014 theaters) which was on top after matinees. It looks to gross between $4M-$6M today and between $15M-$16M for the weekend. The Five-Year Engagement has a Friday estimate of $3.5M-$4.5M and a $12M-$13M weekend. Sony’s Pirates! Band Of Misfits (3,358 theaters) should come in #3 with between $2.5M-$3M with a weekend close to $10M. Lionsgate’s Safe (2,266 theaters) could come in at $2.5M-$3M today with a weekend between $6.5M-$7.5M. And finally Relativity’s acquisition of Intrepid Pictures’ The Raven (2,203 theaters) is coming in between $2.5M-$3M today with a weekend between $7M-$8M. Refined numbers and full analysis tonight.

And Nikki called this an "update"? LOL. :lol: