MovieGuyKyle17

Early Friday results...

Jason Segel, Paul Rudd,etc are not stars. The sooner Hollywood understands that, the better. They work in an ensamble but they are not leads. Nothing wrong with that. It`s funny how many suppoerting actors waste their careers trying and failing to lead.

Sometimes those actors work better when they pair up with a male costar.

Now we just wait for he&Chastain :wub:

Yeesh.When we're referring to him as a double act, we mean when he pairs up with a male costar. Him and Chastain would make him a romantic lead which would just not work, and that romantic pairing just weirds me out.

Jason Segel, Paul Rudd,etc are not stars. The sooner Hollywood understands that, the better. They work in an ensamble but they are not leads. Nothing wrong with that. It`s funny how many suppoerting actors waste their careers trying and failing to lead.

See, I agree with this to a point, but as you know fish, there really aren't many true stars anymore. How many people really open a film on name alone? Sandler, Smith (although he hasn't made a film for about 75 years now it seems) Denzel, Streep and who? Who can open a film on name alone? Stallone, The Rock, Clooney, Willis, Tatum? Maybe but not sure. So Hollywood has to continue taking risks with projects like this. Short of putting an ensemble together every single film, stuff like this is bound to happen from time to time.

I'm not surprised Think Like A Man will be number 1 again this week. Watched it last week and it was tonnes of fun. I can see it getting good word of mouth. Not surprised 5 Year Engagement is underperforming (for now) because the TV ads were pretty uninteresting and with TLAM dominating the comedic audience and The Lucky One eating away at the romantics, I don't think it's a good time for this release because the TV ads didn't imply that there was a lot of bawdiness like Bridesmaids or anything to differentiate itself. In fact, my main surprise is that it's doing a bit better (for now) than the Mandy Moore/John Krasinski License to Wed. I can't see it having better legs though, not with the Summer season starting with the Avengers and every movie hitting after that being a big one which will need the theatre seats.

See, I agree with this to a point, but as you know fish, there really aren't many true stars anymore. How many people really open a film on name alone? Sandler, Smith (although he hasn't made a film for about 75 years now it seems) Denzel, Streep and who? Who can open a film on name alone? Stallone, The Rock, Clooney, Willis, Tatum? Maybe but not sure. So Hollywood has to continue taking risks with projects like this. Short of putting an ensemble together every single film, stuff like this is bound to happen from time to time.

Certain actors can open certain types of films. Almost none can open a romantic drama really well. They often get killed by critics and audiences don't seem to appreciate them as much anymore. Will Smith of the past seems to be the only actor that could open most genres well enough. I think MIB will do relatively well and his kid's stuff has done well too so I think he's still the number 1 box office draw at this moment. It could change

Robert Downey Jr, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are also big stars. Edited by CJohn

I get what you are saying baumer but there are names that simply don`t attract big crowds although they are supposed to. Segel/Rudd pairing still didn`t go bananas like some other actor pairings. people like what people like and don`t care for whom they don`t care. They want to see Vin and Dwayne in the same movie. Boom. They paired them in Fast Five and the result was through the roof. They don`t care for segel and Rudd separately or together so their pairing didn`t go 21 Jump Street. Etc.

Edited by fishnets

Robert Downey Jr, Leonardo DiCaprio, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp are also big stars.

Yes, good examples. Leo is probably the best.

Leo and Brad are also the only of the biggies that don`t have a franchise.

You make some very good points and I do agree with you. I think Segal and Rudd are excellent together and as part of a bigger ensemble. I love Rudd, I think he's one of if not the funniest guy working today. He just cracks me up. But his films don't seem to attract a sizable audience.

You make some very good points and I do agree with you. I think Segal and Rudd are excellent together and as part of a bigger ensemble. I love Rudd, I think he's one of if not the funniest guy working today. He just cracks me up. But his films don't seem to attract a sizable audience.

The thing is no one really knows why this guys attracts the audience and that guy doesn`t. In most cases, it isn`t even down to movie quality or appeal of the character. It`s just something that can`t be measured by polls,google searches, twitter trending, fangirl screaming,etc. Edited by fishnets