kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers | 09.27 - 09.29, 2024 | Friday | 11.32M THE WILD ROBOT | 4.19M BEETLEJUICE BEETLEJUICE | 3.90M DEVARA I

I'd say that the Smile/Gladiator/Sonic sequels all ending up disappointments would set off a new wave of Paramount layoffs, but it already feels like there's a new layoff or exit news coming from them every other week, so maybe the days until they are officially bought by someone (or else face extinction) really are numbered.

1 hour ago, cubsfan said:

Under 50% drop is solid.

If Uni had kept this movie and given it the support they gave to Renfield, I bet it would have outgrossed Renfield's $26M global haul. 

Imagine being head of Universal and watching The Substance and Renfield and going, we're gonna dump the 17M movie and spend tens of millions promoting the 80M movie. 

When I saw Substance at Beyondfest the head of programming mocked Universal for being studio cowards but I wish the news of them dropping the movie went wider. 

Edited by Flopped
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I'd say that the Smile/Gladiator/Sonic sequels all ending up disappointments would set off a new wave of Paramount layoffs, but it already feels like there's a new layoff or exit news coming from them every other week, so maybe the days until they are officially bought by someone (or else face extinction) really are numbered.

I'm honestly surprised they made it this long. Hard to believe that a couple decades ago we had all of the top 6 studios in an actual competitive battle for the top spot every year

Genuine shame about Transformers. It’s a good film. That being said, Wild Robot is a better one, and I’m glad it’s doing as well as it can. Crossing my fingers for god-tier legs.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

That's already happening, as Skydance will be taking over Paramount next year. All the recent layoff news making the rounds is because of this very deal, and Paramount wanting to prepare for it.

Speaking of Sonic, I'm kind of getting worried for it looking at how badly Transformers is tanking. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll start looking at a delay because of that failure, given that the blue blur is facing close competition too. Granted, Sonic is actually a relevant property with a huge fanbase, so it'll probably hold its own against Mufasa. But Paramount can't take any chances, not until David Ellison's airbag comes to the rescue.

35 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

I feel bad for TRANSFORMERS ONE because it's a great film. Paramount is the king of release date blunders. They thought they had a hit and the strategy backfired.

It’s kind of making me worried about Sonic 3. Why release it right next to a big Lion King movie? It doesn’t make sense and I don’t think Christmas legs is enough of a reason to send it into direct competition. I think it’ll hurt both films badly. 

Just now, AnthonyJPHer said:

It’s kind of making me worried about Sonic 3. Why release it right next to a big Lion King movie? It doesn’t make sense and I don’t think Christmas legs is enough of a reason to send it into direct competition. I think it’ll hurt both films badly. 

Eh, Sonic as a franchise so far hasn’t burned its audience as much as Transformers and it’s actually popular with kids.