Grand Cine

Weekdays (14-17th October) Wed : TWR- 1,04M ; Terrifier 3 : 1,7M

4 minutes ago, Asyulus said:

Gladiator II targets boys under 25 and men over 25. Hardly any female audience at all, almost all men.

Wicked targets girls under 25 and women over 25. Hardly any male audience at all, almost all women.

Very much disagree with this. They're both big budget tentpoles and potentially both have awards prospects. It depends on whether the movies deliver or not but they both will pick up peripheral audiences if they've got the goods. Really they're not that much different from Barbenheimer with what their core audiences were.

Also as far as gladiator is concerned, one definitely should not underestimate the beefcake factor when considering the appeal to women.  

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

Very much disagree with this. They're both big budget tentpoles and potentially both have awards prospects. It depends on whether the movies deliver or not but they both will pick up peripheral audiences if they've got the goods. Really they're not that much different from Barbenheimer with what their core audiences were.

Fair enough, through I see Gladiator II more as CGI spectacle rather than Oscar-worthy, imo. Guess it’ll come down to Cinemascore and reception to determine the odds.

3 hours ago, Asyulus said:

Fair enough, through I see Gladiator II more as CGI spectacle rather than Oscar-worthy, imo. Guess it’ll come down to Cinemascore and reception to determine the odds.

The first one won Best Picture and some of the early industry buzz is saying this one will be Oscar worthy also. That could turn out to be overhype though. Will see

12 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Yup will lose a lot of showtimes even if it doesnt lose a lot of theatres. It will lose PLF's to Smile 2 as well but not IMAX where it will still be playing this week  - https://deadline.com/2024/10/smile-2-box-office-1236117666/

Are they trying to say Smile isn't getting IMAX because of Joker? It probably just wasn't cut for IMAX, many of us have noted that Wild Robot has gotten back IMAX showings this week, if Smile 2 had a cut available it would've gotten the screens. Beetlejuice getting screens makes sense since it's the same studio and they probably used that to fulfill contract obligations for Joker. Joker is losing some IMAX to Beetlejuice and Wild Robot, but not all. 

Edited by wattage
  • Like 2

Joker at my local Cinemark is also down to one screen like AniNate said. The AMC is smaller so no dedicated screen it's just being shuffled around between standard and small size screens and then the one IMAX showing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

Also as far as gladiator is concerned, one definitely should not underestimate the beefcake factor when considering the appeal to women.  

I would still say not nearly on this volume, but similar to Twisters and even MI:Fallout, where the core audience was coming for the continuation of the story, while still being palatable enough to draw a casuals female audience for other reasons 

3 hours ago, Asyulus said:

I think TGM and ATWOW both sequels got into best picture lineup have people hyped up about the Gladiator 2's prospect at the Oscar, forgetting that TGM and ATWOW getting in is a rarity.  

5 minutes ago, wattage said:

Are they trying to say Smile isn't getting IMAX because of Joker? It probably just wasn't cut for IMAX, many of us have noted that Wild Robot has gotten back IMAX showings this week, if Smile 2 had a cut available it would've gotten the screens. Beetlejuice getting screens makes sense since it's the same studio and they probably used that to fulfill contract obligations for Joker. Joker is losing some IMAX to Beetlejuice and Wild Robot, but not all. 

Deadline's wording strongly implies that Smile 2 is not getting IMAX because of 3 week deal with WB to keep Joker 2 in IMAX. Not sure how accurate that is though.

8 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Deadline's wording strongly implies that Smile 2 is not getting IMAX because of 3 week deal with WB to keep Joker 2 in IMAX. Not sure how accurate that is though.

I wrote this in the tracking thread, but digital IMAX, because it’s a dual projector system, is not plug and play, but rather requires a specific content cut. Seems likely Joker (ie WB) had secured a 3-week IMAX exclusive, followed by Venom 3, so Paramount didn’t bother making such a version for Smile 2. When Joker tanked, WB was willing to be flexible in the 3rd week, giving some shows back to BJBJ, but not really caring about the matinee, so TWR was able to grab some of those too.

Dolby, RPX, and most other big screen formats just use the standard content version, while 4DX and ScreenX also require a uniquely cut version of the film for their extras 

• Like 3

Anyway, the reason I popped on this morning is because my teenage daughter told me about an ad she kept getting (on Spotify?), and I couldn’t believe it was real. So I had to look, and sure enough, it is 

IMG-3041.jpg

IYKYK

(this may have already been out there, but news to me) 

15 minutes ago, M37 said:

I wrote this in the tracking thread, but digital IMAX, because it’s a dual projector system, is not plug and play, but rather requires a specific content cut. Seems likely Joker (ie WB) had secured a 3-week IMAX exclusive, followed by Venom 3, so Paramount didn’t bother making such a version for Smile 2. When Joker tanked, WB was willing to be flexible in the 3rd week, giving some shows back to BJBJ, but not really caring about the matinee, so TWR was able to grab some of those too.

Dolby, RPX, and most other big screen formats just use the standard content version, while 4DX and ScreenX also require a uniquely cut version of the film for their extras 

Still, don’t see why Paramount couldn’t have tried to make an IMAX master. Alice 2 was also supposed to be two weeks in IMAX, but then Paramount got something out for Ninja Turtles 2 at the last minute. But whatever. I’m not losing sleep

over it.

11 minutes ago, Eric is Smiling said:

Still, don’t see why Paramount couldn’t have tried to make an IMAX master. Alice 2 was also supposed to be two weeks in IMAX, but then Paramount got something out for Ninja Turtles 2 at the last minute. But whatever. I’m not losing sleep

over it.

Spot checking showtimes, seems WB was only willing to share daytime shows, keeping evening for either Joker 2 or BJBJ. The ROI for matinee only shows of a horror film probably wasn’t worth the effort (and cost) to cut an IMAX version. Always keep in mind IMAX is its own brand, studios have to negotiate with them directly for screen space 

Nobody expected Joker 2’s 3rd weekend to be in the $3M range, considering the previous one made almost $30M in its 3rd frame, so became a bit of a scramble to figure out what to play there this weekend 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AniNate said:

Honestly if the hunk factor had been distributed more evenly between the two movies (Gladiator II has three current Internet's Boyfriends in it while Wicked has just one) we might've been able to call that frame Thanksgiving Feast. More accurate than trying to will another Barbenheimer meme into existence lol.