Mojoguy

Weekend Thread | October 18-20 | 23M SMILE | 9.3M TERRIFIER

Disappointing. Guess this number is due to a lack of (good) marketing and the succes of Terrifier 3. The movie is pretty good and I'm already seeing the over exaggerated TikToks stating it's the scariest movie ever gaining hundreds of thousands of likes, so hopefully it can get close to 25M.

Edited by filmpalace
  • Like 2

If it opens around 25M it would be very good. Over the first's opening despite lackluster marketing and Terrifier 3's breakout OW.

With Halloween in the near horizon and good WOM kicking in, it will be a solid hit for Paramount

24 minutes ago, JimmyB said:

They had two actors Smiling to promote the movie at the Dodgers Mets NLCS game and the one actor freaked out on a foul ball, lol

This mess up is the most I've seen of this movies marketing at all so I'm gonna say this weirdly worked out for them. 

Lot of people on TikTok talking about how scary it is.

Reception overall seems pretty strong as well for horror. I saw it yesterday, pretty good movie, the popstar aspect brings a really disturbing and sad vibe to the movie because it reminded me of so many artists, good stuff.

Would like a bit more from previews, but 2M is good enough. If WOM kicks in fast, it can try 21-22M. Matching the first movie would be nice considering the lackluster promo and Terrifier exploding.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

I'm seeing it tomorrow night so I'm hopeful that I like it. I did think the pop star aspect could be the most interesting part of this, a really unique spin on a smile haunting making her go crazy is really intriguing for someone who's expected to be happy upbeat and put on appearances..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Sorry, how is marketing a failure for SMILE II when you have these creepily smiling people in a lot of events? Isn't that one genius promotion?

They started quite late and it’s just a rehash of the promo for Smile 1, which is weird since the movie is quite fresh despite using the same formula.

The campaign was definitely lazy in conception.

The biggest viral about it’s promo being the dude starting to laugh and breaking out of the character in a game yesterday says a lot.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

This should’ve been bigger, so something's gone wrong somewhere. Probably at Paramount. 

Definitely paramount. Feels like the only good recent releases they’ve had box office wise were Sonic, Paw Patrol, and Scream. And spyglass fucked scream by throwing out Melissa so that’s no longer a reliable option. 

Mission Impossible got fucked by being slotted right before Barbenheimer, they assumed far too much of ROTB given the damage that’d been done to the brand by the previous movies, and spent far too much on IF for it to ever be remotely successful. DND was marketed so poorly that nearly every review said “the trailers and marketing were garbage” and then they managed to one-up themselves with Transformers One where instead of it being just nearly every review, literally every review said “the trailers and marketing were garbage”. Then they fucked up the trailer for Gladiator 2 somehow and are likely going to get stomped by Wicked. 

Hell at this point I wouldn’t even rule out Sonic 3 getting massively hurt by Mufasa. 

Edited by CheeseWizard

Budget is $28M so it's not facing an uphill battle to turn a profit. Should at least manage a $60M+ total, not bad considering they rehashed the marketing tactics of the first one without much of a fresh hook and Terrifier (despite being a very different type of horror) probably stole its thunder a bit.

• Like 1