Neo

Mowgli: Legend of the Jungle | Nov 29 2018 (LA, NY), Dec 7 (Netflix) | Bale, Blanchett, Cumberbatch & Naomie Harris confirmed

The question for this is how many people outside of kids care about The Jungle Book? Since WB is basically slapping a slogan on this movie that says "must be at least this tall to ride", I hope they've thought this through and think there is enough demand from adults alone for this film to end up profitable. 

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Recent WB movies get plenty of praise around here, from myself included. Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, IT, RPO, etc. WB does try excessively to push "dark/edgy" angles with a lot of their tentpoles though, and most of the time it's laughably unnecessary. Case and point: that trailer for this movie. 

If the movie is supposed to be darker than the recent Disney movie, why not let people know that from the marketing? Shouldn’t they want to set their movie apart?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Recent WB movies get plenty of praise around here, from myself included. Wonder Woman, Dunkirk, IT, RPO, etc. WB does try excessively to push "dark/edgy" angles with a lot of their tentpoles though, and most of the time it's laughably unnecessary. Case and point: that trailer for this movie. 

Dark and Edgy at Warners goes back a long,long, way.

They pretty much founded the Gangster genre of films in the early 1930's with "Little Caesar" "Public Enemy",and the original 1933 "Scarface". All 3, particularly "PUblic Enemy" (the film that made James Cagney a big star) were widely criticized for violence. (The final scene of "Public Enemy" stlll is pretty startling today).

Just now, dudalb said:

That;s weird, the studio people love to hate is usually Disney....

I am just the opposite;I sort of hope Paramount turns it around; sad to see one of the olded, it not the oldest,studio in Hollywood having such a rought period.

Paramount has had a rough few years and to an extent Sony has as well but they rebounded last year with Homecoming and Jumanji. I'd hate to see Paramount or any of the big six become like MGM. 

Every studio has their strengths and weaknesses, Disney for all their success usually struggles with any movie that's not based on their IP for example, 

Just now, That One Guy said:

I think this'll do like $90M.  I mean we were also anticipating Legend of Tarzan to make like sub-$60M or whatever and that did pretty good.  

And that movie was not good either! I'm confident Serkis has made a good movie, it would be a shame  if the film with such a stellar cast and with a respected actor turned director didn't do well

2 minutes ago, KeepItU25071906 said:

it means He isn't Paramount hater

mic-drop-gif-7.gif

case is closed

Interesting that Obama is going to take a shot a being a producer for  Netflix. I can't think of any ex president who has tried that.

3 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If the movie is supposed to be darker than the recent Disney movie, why not let people know that from the marketing? Shouldn’t they want to set their movie apart?

People will pick up on that if that's the case without literally having the words "witness the darkest take!!!" start your trailer. I mean good grief, subtlety their name is not. The thing about that trailer is it felt so try hard to position it as "dark" and "adult" while the content of the trailer itself didn't really match the vibe. I mean it has a dark and dreary color scheme, but that's about the "darkest" vibe I got. 

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Paramount has had a rough few years and to an extent Sony has as well but they rebounded last year with Homecoming and Jumanji. I'd hate to see Paramount or any of the big six become like MGM. 

Every studio has their strengths and weaknesses, Disney for all their success usually struggles with any movie that's not based on their IP for example, 

And that movie was not good either! I'm confident Serkis has made a good movie, it would be a shame  if the film with such a stellar cast and with a respected actor turned director didn't do well

I am really interested in seeing a Jungle Book movie that actually tries to  stick to the original Kipling Stories...which are much darker then what Disney in either version gave us.

I checked, and only Universal is older then Paramount...Universal was founded in 1914 (though under a different name) and Paramount in  1916.

And for a while Universal could not do anything right,Just one bomb after another. Back in 2012, Uni was the laughing stock of Hollywood.

Edited by dudalb

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

People will pick up on that if that's the case without literally having the words "witness the darkest take!!!" start your trailer. I mean good grief, subtlety their name is not. The thing about that trailer is it felt so try hard to position it as "dark" and "adult" while the content of the trailer itself didn't really match the vibe. I mean it has a dark and dreary color scheme, but that's about the "darkest" vibe I got. 

But what specific scenes in the trailer are they supposed to show in order to get that point across? Dismemberment? 

Edited by WittyUsername

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Dark and Edgy at Warners goes back a long,long, way.

They pretty much founded the Gangster genre of films in the early 1930's with "Little Caesar" "Public Enemy",and the original 1933 "Scarface". All 3, particularly "PUblic Enemy" (the film that made James Cagney a big star) were widely criticized for violence. (The final scene of "Public Enemy" stlll is pretty startling today).

There's nothing wrong with having dark or edgy films, Dunkirk isn't rainbows and lollipops for example and that was a huge hit, same with IT and American Sniper.

Just now, dudalb said:

I am really interested in seeing a Jungle Book movie that actually tries to  stick to the original Kipling Stories...which are much darker then what Disney in either version gave us.

I checked, and only Universal is older then Paramount...Universal was founded in 1914 (though under a different name) and Paramount in  1916.

I thought Paramount and Universal were 1912. 

Interesting trailer, I'm glad they're going with a different take on it. I like that we are seeing him among humans and older.

Not sure if people making fun of the tagline understand that the marketing team must have been desperate to differentiate this somehow from Disney's 2016 version and just went with what was probably the biggest difference; the tone.

It will probably still fail though. Similar WW numbers as Legend of Tarzan wouldn't surprise me with around 80-90M for domestic. Just unfortunate timing.

12 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

$125m might be tricky although it did have the advantage that this is the first time in 3-4 years where there isn't a huge tentpole at the beginning of November.

I think as an October WB film the dark gritty angle fits well. They have been doing well with horror films in that period. Also Fall has more adult-oriented movies. Or maybe I am just trying to make things fit by force and it's not so.