Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

I was'ent being negative about it at all..A BKB prediction are a posetiv spin these days you know

Ha. He makes his predictions based on hopes and dreams. I'm making them based on the evidence we have so far. The Saturday and Sunday performance of this movie is insane.

And I say that isn't how it wil go down and people keep understimating what The Avengers can do.

Meaning the exhibitors will find a way out of the contract or that TA won't be affected by the IMAX loss?

Happy to see after the DH2 fiasco last year where it was 5th or 6th in admissions and broke the record solely because of 3D and inflation. It's good to see the admissions record is actually the dollar record again.

Indeed. I'm happy to see that again for once. 2012 owns 2011 (DH2). Heck, let's beat out 2008 (TDK) and *gasp* dare I say it...2009 (Avatar), 1977 (guess which movie), 1939 (?). ha ha.

Meaning the exhibitors will find a way out of the contract or that TA won't be affected by the IMAX loss?

Meaning that either IMAX will do something about and get an agreement with Warner or that movie theater owners will manage things to accomodate public demand. We'll read reports next weekend, I can't believe that movie theater owners will have to burn cash for an IMAX contract. Somehow this will be dealed with.

Ha. He makes his predictions based on hopes and dreams. I'm making them based on the evidence we have so far. The Saturday and Sunday performance of this movie is insane.

So you predict a 3,5 multiplier? Not even TDK did that

My prediction was based on evidence that I've been pounding into everyone's head at KJ for like a year straight only to be met with a chorus of laughter and disbelief that something like this could possibly happen.. Everyone got OWNED.. No other way about it.. Now Red I have to decide if watching this for a 3rd time is worth IMAX 3D or 2D again.. What do you think??

2D. Can't stand those 3D glasses...

So you predict a 3,5 multiplier? Not even TDK did that

It doesn't need a 3.5 multiplier to hit $700m. Right now the estimate is $206m and it might keep going up. Let's just assume $206m ends up being the actual. It would need a 3.4 multiplier to hit $700m. TDK had a 3.37 multiplier, so it doesn't need much higher than that to pull it off.

Considering it only had 2nd weekend drops of only 39% and 43% in Australia and the UK respectively with the very positive WOM there is a very solid chance of a sub 50% drop for the north american market next weekend. It should be noted that those are the normal weekend drops and that it opened a day earlier then normal in both countries.

UK had a holiday on Monday to soften the blow, just saying.

So, can anybody give me any statistics about TDK's and TA's admissions?redfirebird?

They are both right around 22 million along with SM3. If Avengers can hit $207m with actuals, I think we can safely say it has the new attendance record over SM3 and TDK. Either way though, it's pretty close. The best thing here is that it's not a DH2 situation. That movie was 5th or 6th in opening weekend attendance at the time (lulz, 6th or 7th now) and only broke the record through inflation and 3D. The attendance record is the dollar gross record once again, which is great to see. We had a nice run with SM1, DMC, SM3, and TDK until DH2 screwed up the attendance/dollar record pattern.

They are both right around 22 million along with SM3. If Avengers can hit $207m with actuals, I think we can safely say it has the new attendance record over SM3 and TDK. Either way though, it's pretty close. The best thing here is that it's not a DH2 situation. That movie was 5th or 6th in opening weekend attendance at the time (lulz, 6th or 7th now) and only broke the record through inflation and 3D. The attendance record is the dollar gross record once again, which is great to see. We had a nice run with SM1, DMC, SM3, and TDK until DH2 screwed up the attendance/dollar record pattern.

Thanks.