Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

What did he predict? I don't even think he thought $200M OW was possible, nonethless $207M.

200 mill OW and 500+ mill totalCrazy basterd

Yeah but it had barely got started at that point. Avengers is already at almost $210 million. Avatar faced Sherlock and Chipmunks 2 in its second weekend, but there wasn't much that opened after that.My point is if it's going to go near $600 million it can't have massive event movies opening every week. Which it has.

Yeah i agree fully with your TA points, i just don't like it when people try to downplay AVATAR's achievements, 10x legs for a mainstream film will probably never happen again.
  • Like 1

Yeah but it had barely got started at that point. Avengers is already at almost $210 million. Avatar faced Sherlock and Chipmunks 2 in its second weekend, but there wasn't much that opened after that.My point is if it's going to go near $600 million it can't have massive event movies opening every week. Which it has.

Myself and others don't feel May has much competition, and anyway May will be when it makes most of its money.

Yeha, but for once, BKB`s crazy predix came true this weekend. Everyone has a moment to shine and this is BKB`s. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Crazy shit. Who would have guessed that the wierd basterd :arms: were right

Even Kal was right once in blue moon.

Yep. I actully were on his team on this.I predicted 440 mill for Avatar 6 months before it opend :chaplin:Was´ent even close

Ha! Even he underpredicted the OW. lol But, still, that's pretty crazy he was that bold.

That gives a little credit in the bank :P Edited by fmpro

At this point i wouldn't call Dark Shadows an "event" movie, and tracking was in the 40's before, thats not massive, nor "Battleship", MIB3 yes, then after that i wouldn't call anything event until "Prometheus". Avengers is in its own league right now, i cant see many people dropping it for DS or BS and honestly MIB. You have a good opinion though, but i personally believe in 600M because of the WOM, demand, 4 quad, and potential multiplier. I dont think DS and MIB will suffer as much as people think, but they wont have huge blows to TA, Battleship though will suffer, poor Kirtsch. :P

Yeah i agree fully with your TA points, i just don't like it when people try to downplay AVATAR's achievements, 10x legs for a mainstream film will probably never happen again.

You're right!

70M+ OW

700M+ total

The symetry of the decimal is almost too perfect.

Could we imagine, in the future, a 30M opener going to 300M total?

A "poor" 50M opener...going to a "TDK-style" 500M total?

lol

We're on the same page. Avatar was unprecedented. I'm more talking about whether it is even possible to have a domestic gross like that film reached with so much competition for the same audience. Could even Avatar have been as successful in a summer season with a ton of other big blockbusters?Avengers won't be for that very reason IMO.

At this point i wouldn't call Dark Shadows an "event" movie, and tracking was in the 40's before, thats not massive, nor "Battleship", MIB3 yes, then after that i wouldn't call anything event until "Prometheus". Avengers is in its own league right now, i cant see many people dropping it for DS or BS and honestly MIB. You have a good opinion though, but i personally believe in 600M because of the WOM, demand, 4 quad, and potential multiplier. I dont think DS and MIB will suffer as much as people think, but they wont have huge blows to TA, Battleship though will suffer, poor Kirtsch. :P

You might well be right!! I hope it does $600 million but I'll be surprised if it gets to even $500 million. Will happily change my mind if it holds up incredibly well in the next 7 days. Just have a feeling most that have wanted to see it have already done so. Lol

You're right!70M+ OW700M+ totalThe symetry of the decimal is almost too perfect.Could we imagine, in the future, a 30M opener going to 300M total?A "poor" 50M opener...going to a "TDK-style" 500M total?lol

Yeah i could imagine a 20mil ow film getting 10x legs (didn't that 'My Greek Wedding film do that?) but i can't see a 50+mil ow film getting 10x legs again, not for a long time anyway.

Myself and others don't feel May has much competition, and anyway May will be when it makes most of its money.

For sure!

The Avengers could be put off theatre on may 31th and still be certified as a fucking success.

We're on the same page. Avatar was unprecedented. I'm more talking about whether it is even possible to have a domestic gross like that film reached with so much competition for the same audience.

Could even Avatar have been as successful in a summer season with a ton of other big blockbusters?

Avengers won't be for that very reason IMO.

IMO yes but i'm biased as i'm a big fan of the film but it didn't bat an eyelid when Sherlock and Chipmunks opened (in fact it almost held flat!) and its drops were tiny every week no matter what opened against it, it was just one of those films that people wanted to see regardless what else came out.

Even Kal was right once in blue moon.

Ha, yeah this does kind of remind me of Kal with Avatar.Still hard to fathom a $207m ow, it's just simply unbelievable. I know $600m is being thrown around, but it's definitely too early to say that's happening without seeing how this week and next weekend goes...but it sure does look like $600m could happen. I will admit that the only thing dampening my enthusiasm is that what happened this weekend with TA is what I wanted to happen with TDKR as I'm a bigger fan of that series and wanted that to get the ow record and win the summer/year, which looks almost impossible now.The only hope is if there was one movie I'd say has a chance to do it (other than Avatar 2 in 3-5 years) it'd be TDKR. Edited by FTF

MIB3 is opening too long after MIIB to be relevant. Also, MIIB sucked horribly. It won't hurt Avengers in any major way other than taking a few 3D screens.

Yeah i could imagine a 20mil ow film getting 10x legs (didn't that 'My Greek Wedding film do that?) but i can't see a 50+mil ow film getting 10x legs again, not for a long time anyway.

I can't even imagine a 30/300 or a 40/400 situation!

In fact, Avatar is still the best non-adapted material opening.

The 2 situations above would need something "original" who grows, grows, grows and again.

Can't see that.