Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

http://www.showblitz.com/2012/05/avengers-staying-in-all-imax-locations-in-sharing-agreement-with-warner-bros.html

EXCLUSIVE:

Turns out Disney-Marvel’s THE AVENGERS won’t have to vacate any Imax houses this weekend to make way for DARK SHADOWS after all. Disney and Warner Bros. agreed Monday to evenly split digital Imax showtimes this weekend between the two movies, leaving the Marvel pic in all 275 digital-only Imax screens from which it collected a record-setting $15.3 million last weekend. AVENGERS was slated to lose 200 of those Imax locations to DARK SHADOWS as dictated by a pre-existing three-year pact inked between Imax and Warners back in April 2010. Prior to today’s agreement, SHADOWS had secured 225 Imax locations all to itself from varying U.S. markets. By sharing screens, the film now has 300 runs in all Imax DMAs, with approximately 25 print-only locations to itself. (AVENGERS is a digital-only release.) It’s a win-win …

win

situation for Disney, Warners and individual exhibitors, who kickstarted the screen-sharing talks after AVENGERS posted a staggering $207.4 million overall domestic bow.

Yay!

• Like 1

Not sure about gross, but yesterday The Avengers did 2726.

So assuming it sells around 1000 today it had about a 63% drop from yesterday at your theater. Not bad at all for a Monday in May if that average holds nationwide. That would put it around $21m for Monday. Edited by MovieMan89

If The Avengers does 1000 at your theater, it would translate to an 18m Monday using THG's Monday as the comparison.

You cant do it based on hunger games because that was only 2D Edited by eXtacy

So 1000/2700 x 57 would translate to a 21m monday. Good sign. Does your cinema have an imax?

No. We are however doing so well that we had a corporate guy come down a few weeks ago to look at the plot of land next to us. The idea is to add on an IDX screen. Think mini-IMAX. I hope to God they will at least wait until Sept/Oct to build it. I am sure glad you guys are doing all these calculations, lol. I am finally getting a couple days off and am 3 beers deep already!

EXCLUSIVE: Turns out Disney-Marvel’s THE AVENGERS won’t have to vacate any Imax houses this weekend to make way for DARK SHADOWS after all. Disney and Warner Bros. agreed Monday to evenly split digital Imax showtimes this weekend between the two movies, leaving the Marvel pic in all 275 digital-only Imax screens from which it collected a record-setting $15.3 million last weekend. AVENGERS was slated to lose 200 of those Imax locations to DARK SHADOWS as dictated by a pre-existing three-year pact inked between Imax and Warners back in April 2010. Prior to today’s agreement, SHADOWS had secured 225 Imax locations all to itself from varying U.S. markets. By sharing screens, the film now has 300 runs in all Imax DMAs, with approximately 25 print-only locations to itself. (AVENGERS is a digital-only release.) It’s a win-win … win situation for Disney, Warners and individual exhibitors, who kickstarted the screen-sharing talks after AVENGERS posted a staggering $207.4 million overall domestic bow.And redfirebird2008 and Magic were giving me hell this morning saying how THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN, because it'd be a contract breach and yadda yadda yadaa. I kept saying that they'd work out an agreement.I feel so vindicated right now. :)

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

EXCLUSIVE: Turns out Disney-Marvel’s THE AVENGERS won’t have to vacate any Imax houses this weekend to make way for DARK SHADOWS after all. Disney and Warner Bros. agreed Monday to evenly split digital Imax showtimes this weekend between the two movies, leaving the Marvel pic in all 275 digital-only Imax screens from which it collected a record-setting $15.3 million last weekend. AVENGERS was slated to lose 200 of those Imax locations to DARK SHADOWS as dictated by a pre-existing three-year pact inked between Imax and Warners back in April 2010. Prior to today’s agreement, SHADOWS had secured 225 Imax locations all to itself from varying U.S. markets. By sharing screens, the film now has 300 runs in all Imax DMAs, with approximately 25 print-only locations to itself. (AVENGERS is a digital-only release.) It’s a win-win … win situation for Disney, Warners and individual exhibitors, who kickstarted the screen-sharing talks after AVENGERS posted a staggering $207.4 million overall domestic bow.And redfirebird2008 and Magic were giving me hell this morning saying how THIS WOULD NEVER HAPPEN, because it'd be a contract breach and yadda yadda yadaa. I kept saying that they'd work out an agreement.I feel so vindicated right now. :)

As you should.
  • Like 1

Apparently a civil disagreement is now "giving someone hell." Geez dude. :lol:

i saw it this morning and i thought "theres no way WB will be such a stick-up-the-butt, even if Disney had to pay i know theyd be able to keep screens", WB is my favorite studio but IMO theyre selfish, theres nothing in DS that screans "IMAX!", its a cash grab, Disney really shouldnt have had to negotiate, IMAX shouldve done that, its there screens, there contract, and there potential revenue lost, but im glad a deal was made, here comes a $100M second weekend!

i saw it this morning and i thought "theres no way WB will be such a stick-up-the-butt, even if Disney had to pay i know theyd be able to keep screens", WB is my favorite studio but IMO theyre selfish, theres nothing in DS that screans "IMAX!", its a cash grab, Disney really shouldnt have had to negotiate, IMAX shouldve done that, its there screens, there contract, and there potential revenue lost, but im glad a deal was made, here comes a $100M second weekend!

Hell yeah, besides the rabid fanboy logic, The Avengers succeeding is a win for Marvel as much as it is a win for every other big studio out there, especially Warner, who owns DC Characters alone. The Avengers succeeding proves that movies based on comic books are here to stay and there's way more than a "demand" for them, there's actually general audience devotion for them.Awesome news all around and a win-win situation for the movie industry itself.

I am vindicatedI am selfishI am wrongI am rightI swear I'm rightI swear I knew it all along

That always seemed like such a perfect credit song for SM2 to me. I always associate it with that movie and it makes me remember SM2 and wanna watch it. /end off topic tangent Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1