Shawn Robbins

May 4, 2012 Weekend (AVENGERS Opening Discussion): ACTUAL 207.4 mill!!!!

Oh I thought it already came out around the same time as the 3D rerelease.

Not to highjack the thread but I just never thought BR was that much better than DVD and I still don't. But now that I can buy a BR player, a good one for $100.00, it's time to replace my player anyway, so I might as well.

Hell no. But I was disappointed to see that they stuck the only 2D showing on a medium sized screen. The two really big screens are 3D. Pisses me off. I saw Inception at that theater and the screen was at least 50% bigger than the one I saw Avengers on last night.

If other theaters are doing what yours is, then I'm not surprised that its 3D share is that high. The sell out reports didn't reflect that but it could be that the 2D shows sell out quicker because they are on the smaller screens.

The Avengers won't affect its legs since it's already opened. If anything, the opening will be lower and if it's a good film the legs will be better

When a phenom with great WOM like Avengers is playing, and a movie with a fan-following opens, the situation reverses. Opening will be affected, but there are still enough die-hard Depp fans and they will still see it. But business post-OW may be affected more, since anyone looking to see a movie will most likely go see Avengers than DS.

Not to highjack the thread but I just never thought BR was that much better than DVD and I still don't. But now that I can buy a BR player, a good one for $100.00, it's time to replace my player anyway, so I might as well.

The difference between bd and dvd is the same as that between the average theater and bd.

Holy... Nashville IMAX has already sold out first two shows today. The second over two hours ahead of time. That doesn't usually happen here -- not even in IMAX.

I'm watching twitter right now. Sell outs all over the place. Some as early as 11:00 am. Saturday and Sunday are gonna be insane.Lots of records will be broken today. This is a family movie and whole families are showing up so theaters are filling up fast.

Thanks, all the more reason....plus SW and such.

Those are the only two reasons you need a Blu-ray player. That and Avatar. And Transformers. And the digitally remastered Godfather Trilogy. And... well everything. :P
  • Like 1

If other theaters are doing what yours is, then I'm not surprised that its 3D share is that high. The sell out reports didn't reflect that but it could be that the 2D shows sell out quicker because they are on the smaller screens.

That's a big part of it for sure.

Unless you still have an old standard-def TV, Bluray is stunningly better. I think you'll start to appreciate it once you start watching a few BR titles.

Jaws comes out on Blu-ray as well. Spielberg says the new remaster for Blu-ray looks better than the movie ever did in the theater back in 1975. Looking forward to it very much, although I hope they haven't tampered with it too much.

As long as Lucas isn't involved, it's safe

Jaws comes out on Blu-ray as well. Spielberg says the new remaster for Blu-ray looks better than the movie ever did in the theater back in 1975. Looking forward to it very much, although I hope they haven't tampered with it too much.

Yeah, and quite a few remastered blu-ray look better than they did in their time, according to the directors at least. Edited by vc2002

When a phenom with great WOM like Avengers is playing, and a movie with a fan-following opens, the situation reverses. Opening will be affected, but there are still enough die-hard Depp fans and they will still see it. But business post-OW may be affected more, since anyone looking to see a movie will most likely go see Avengers than DS.

Yeah but the movie's presence will only diminish overtime, it will be a lot stronger next week than 3 or 4 weeks out, so it will be hurting Dark Shadows' opening more than its legs.

I've been pretty low on it ($34 million) with our Long Range Forecast ... but I'm starting to wonder if $30 million could be out of reach with this WOM on Avengers.

Avengers and rest will be doing 110-115M business next weekend. I think there will be enough room for DS to manage 30M. Though it probably depends on WOM also.