Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I think this means that they are expecting that Maleficent will be a big hit in Japan (3 times more seats than EOT).Probably Maleficent's tracking is a lot bigger than EOT.But the weird thing is that, if your numbers are correct, Maleficent has less seats in Toho than Frozen last week.

Edited by Ajbg

TOHO saturday seats

Maleficent 69170   Edge of Tomorrow 22309   Frozen 14113 (-80%) ???

KINEZO saturday seats

Maleficent 61138   Edge of Tomorrow 22262   Frozen 17623 (-25%)

I think there is something of wrong in TOHO saturday seats report.

Of course this is wrong....the website's problem

Let us see another report:

TOHO席数  6/28(土)→7/5(土) ※東北・関東・近畿・中四国(有楽町・梅田・台場は除外)※35館での集計out:ポンペイ、Need for speed、ポリスレジェンドin:マレフィセント、オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・キル、アンパンマン、AKB48

Last weekend   This weekend      Seats runs   席数 上映回数 上映累計週Frozen  49,184 152回 → 29,570 125回 17週目

Maleficent 122,065 336回Eot          44,319 179回 → 41,017 194回

Even though this report only covers around 2/3 of total seats in Toho, every movie has many more seats than that report.

So-so box-office in the US and elsewhere might be a hinderance.  Also, I wouldn't include a strong female lead (Emily Blunt) as a positive.  I doubt many are familiar with her at all.

Japan doesn't give a crap about Emily Blunt doing pushups! :ph34r:

• Like 1

Current Saturday presale in Movix miyoshi :

Maleficent : 342

Eot :  75

Frozen : 91

That's just... sad..

So in Japan only girls are still watching Hollywood movies nowadays? It seems unless the movies can appeal to girls they're dead.

• Like 1

Females make up over half of the movie-going audience, so having some appeal to them is certainly important. 

Maleficent was always the strong favorite to beat Edge of Tomorrow though.  It's a known Disney fairy tale featuring Angeline Jolie in his first big role in 3 years.  And Maleficent appears to be the widest release since Monsters University and The Wind Rises last July (it has the most showtimes/seats than anything since them), so there's potential here for a big opening.  

Edge of Tomorrow should still beat Oblivion though.  Its opening may not match Oblivion's (opened on a discount day weekend, inflating it a bit), but its legs have to be better considering Oblivion had some pretty poor legs (sub-4 multiplier). 

July legs are some of the strongest of the year, so expect multiplier of at least 6 or 7 for each of them.  Edge of Tomorrow may have the better legs considering there's not much in the way of pure adult films this upcoming summer.

I'll post the weekend forecast tonight.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

Maleficent was always the strong favorite to beat Edge of Tomorrow though.  It's a known Disney fairy tale featuring Angeline Jolie in his first big role in 3 years.  And Maleficent appears to be the widest release since Monsters University and The Wind Rises last July (it has the most showtimes/seats than anything since them), so there's potential here for a big opening.  

How "big" is the big opening? Is $8M possible? I don't really know how live action films work in japan.