Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

Box office is a combination of star power and kind of project.You can't have Malficent numbers with an adult drama.And probably, You can't have Maleficent numbers with action pictures.Tom Cruise has bigger box office because : he makes more blockbusters kind of movies, he has a franchise with 4 pictures, he works more, he has at least 10 years more of age and career, and he is a male star (everybody knows that There are more big pictures for men). Obviously both are big stars.And other important thing: before internet, a star was more important than today.You can read in many places: today the concept of the picture is more important than the star.It doesn't mean that star is not important.I think Maleficent would do at least 200 million less without Jolie.Look at The Tourist. It was a french movie that was remade. Without stars (french movie), nobody saw. With Jolie and Deep it was a 280 million worldwide movie, even with bad reviews.

Edited by Ajbg
  • Like 1

I like Jolie not only because I like her as an actress but also because she seems like a generally good person in real life too. I don't know why any of her fans should feel the need to attack Cruise and his films to prove how great she is. It is possible to like both people and their works without degrading the other. 

Also, oscar wins are not the sole determinant of an actor/actresses' worth and to say that it is disrespectful to the many great actors past and present who failed to win one. 

As for edge of tomorrow I'm pretty disappointed but looks like firedeep is right, male-centric films isn't a draw any more in Japan.  

• Like 4

I like Jolie not only because I like her as an actress but also because she seems like a generally good person in real life too. I don't know why any of her fans should feel the need to attack Cruise and his films to prove how great she is. It is possible to like both people and their works without degrading the other. Also, oscar wins are not the sole determinant of an actor/actresses' worth and to say that it is disrespectful to the many great actors past and present who failed to win one. As for edge of tomorrow I'm pretty disappointed but looks like firedeep is right, male-centric films isn't a draw any more in Japan.

I saw both movies. Liked both, didn't love any.EOT is a very good action movie, but a little cold. I almost sleep in some parts too. And it didn't do well in almost all world (except SK, China and Rússia).For example, it did 4 million in Brazil. Maleficent will do 30 million. But Tom Cruise helped EOT, for sure.Maleficent is a kid movie. Normally, I would not see this kind of movie. I only saw because of her, and she was the best thing in it.http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=allyouneediskill.htm
  • Like 1

I saw both movies. Liked both, didn't love any.EOT is a very good action movie, but a little cold. I almost sleep in some parts too. And it didn't do well in almost all world (except SK, China and Rússia).For example, it did 4 million in Brazil. Maleficent will do 30 million. But Tom Cruise helped EOT, for sure.Maleficent is a kid movie. Normally, I would not see this kind of movie. I only saw because of her, and she was the best thing in it.http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=allyouneediskill.htm

The fact that edge of tomorrow did mediocre numbers globally doesn't mean it was a bad film though since box office gross = quality of the film doesn't really apply. It also had the disadvantage of being an original film and wasn't decently advertised in many of the territories. 

Personally I don't understand the cold comments, could you point out which part specifically felt cold and boring to you?

• Like 1

Frozen's dominance in Japan ends this weekend. All good things must come to an end.

BIG thanks to Japan for helping Frozen hit the highest grossing animated film and highest grossing 2013 movie milestones! I remember posting the Let It Go scene for a little luck (pg111, the actual fun began on pg109) before we the first numbers for the OW started coming in...

Who knew Frozen would also turn out be such a phenomenon in Japan?

"Let It Go" in Japanese.

Edited by Mojoguy
  • Like 4

The fact that edge of tomorrow did mediocre numbers globally doesn't mean it was a bad film though since box office gross = quality of the film doesn't really apply. It also had the disadvantage of being an original film and wasn't decently advertised in many of the territories. Personally I don't understand the cold comments, could you point out which part specifically felt cold and boring to you?

I said that I thought it was a good movie - not great, but good.Cold is hard to explain. I just didn't feel emotionally connected.The boring thing comes from the concept: like in a videogame, Tom had to die to learn, start again and pass the phase.Not just in this film, but these repetitive things of fights and explosions are boring for me. Edited by Ajbg

How "big" is the big opening? Is $8M possible? I don't really know how live action films work in japan.

Basically anything above 500 million (~$5 million) is considered "big" for any film, animated or live-action.

Maleficent had some strong pre-sales and this mornings/afternoon ticket sales are looking quite robust as well.  I think there could also be a "slight" degree of frontloading to see the new Angelina Jolie film, and I'm expecting Sunday to be flat rather than increase, but it's safe to say it'll be opening over 500 million ($5 million+) this weekend. :)

I'm going to post my weekend forecast soon. 

• Like 2

Basically anything above 500 million (~$5 million) is considered "big" for any film, animated or live-action. Maleficent had some strong pre-sales and this mornings/afternoon ticket sales are looking quite robust as well.  I think there could also be a "slight" degree of frontloading to see the new Angelina Jolie film, and I'm expecting Sunday to be flat rather than increase, but it's safe to say it'll be opening over 500 million ($5 million+) this weekend. :) I'm going to post my weekend forecast soon.

5 million is a little low. With 5 million, it'll get 20 -35 million total?

Basically anything above 500 million (~$5 million) is considered "big" for any film, animated or live-action. Maleficent had some strong pre-sales and this mornings/afternoon ticket sales are looking quite robust as well.  I think there could also be a "slight" degree of frontloading to see the new Angelina Jolie film, and I'm expecting Sunday to be flat rather than increase, but it's safe to say it'll be opening over 500 million ($5 million+) this weekend. :) I'm going to post my weekend forecast soon.

Is There forecast in Japan?

The best part about Frozen's run in Japan is that it will do more than 21 times what Brave did. Anna and Elsa showing Merida how it is done in Japan! :o

I never saw something like Frozen in Japan.More than 30 times first weekend.And the second international movie made more than 200 million less.I think this kind of thing is impossible in any other market. Edited by Ajbg

Cool. But I'm hoping it'll open to more than $5M. Probably $6.5M-7M? How possible is that?

I never saw something like Frozen in Japan.More than 30 times first weekend.And the second international movie made more than 200 million less.I think this kind of thing is impossible in any other market.

31.5 multiplier (so far) is a really sexy for Japan. :wub:

Corpse says

It would have to be frontloaded as hell to not reach $50 million, and the term frontloaded doesn't really exist in Japan. There is usually no more than 5 or so wide-releases a year that get multipliers under 5. Kamen Rider are some of the most frontloaded films, and even they get over 4 and sometimes 5.Multiplier breakdown:Less than 3: I've never seen a film have less than this, so I don't believe it's doable...Less than 5: Usually reserved for films with very niche appeal or very poorly received films released in January, February, June, or October (the four weakest months of the year).5-7: The norm. The vast majority of releases end up in this range. Even sequels and yearly installments such as Detective Conan or Pokemon have no problem getting here. Films with bad reviews can sometimes pull of a 5, too.8-10: Films that earn a multiplier in this range usually have holiday support and are released during robust times of the year. Great reviews and WOM also play a big role here. Also, films that play nearly exclusively to the senior demo generally have no problems ending up here.10+: Wide-scale appeal, plays well with the 40+ audience (the biggest demo in Japan), and has great reviews. A multiplier of this level almost always requires a release date around Obon (July) or New Year (December) to go this high, too, though there are a few exceptions.15+: Everything that a 10+ film has, but also includes repeat viewings. The Japanese rarely go to the movies, much less to see the same film two or more times (TV remains very popular in Japan). But when they do, big things happen. Fewer than 10 films have earned a 15+ multiplier in the past 15 years, and only one was released outside of July and December.

• Like 2

5 million is a little low. With 5 million, it'll get 20 -35 million total?

If a film ever opens to $5 million, it's pretty much guaranteed $25/30 million, but most of the time a bit more.  

And since we're in July now, with the strongest 6 weeks at the box-office coming up soon, pretty much anything can earn above average legs, too.