Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

The latter.  And that's why I never bold USD totals.  It is certain it made over $229 million though, there's no disputing this fact.  A lot of websites just go to BOM for their numbers, too, and Spirited Away's weekly performance at BOM is messy (and that's putting it very, very kindly). Just look at THIS: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=JP&id=y .htm That's not right in any world. LOL.  It's total goes up and down (peaking in week 33...), and its increase in total is less than it made for just the weekend fame for most of those weeks BOM has tracked. Never use BOM for figures if there's any detailed analysis provided by someone else, even if it's a forum member like you or me.  BOM has a lot of wrong numbers.

I am not disputing your accuracy, indeed I greatly admire your and others' work. I was just wondering why, since most website use the BOM figure, there has been no article around the net stating that Frozen has beaten Spirited Away, as there have been when it reached the top three of all time in Japan. Also, wouldn't Disney be eager to claim that they have the highest grossing movie ever in USD?

The drop in 2011 was huge, can it be completely explained by the tsunami?

2011's drop looks big, but it mainly looks that way because 2010 is the biggest box-office year of all-time in Japan. :P

The tsunami effected March/April, but the rest of the year was honestly perfectly fine.

Edited by Corpse

Thanks for all your work, Corpse.

Edge of Tomorrow set to open 35% lower than the already mediocre numbers for Oblivion. Say what you will about potential multipliers, that's a bomb by any definition. A sad conclusion for a movie that deserved better at the box office. The Japanese seem to have forgotten that they named an entire day after Tom Cruise! (October 10, 2006 for those unaware.)

Interesting to note that (at least in this case) there's zero correlation between Japanese sentiment and the rest of East Asia. Edge killed Malf in China and SK.

• Like 1

I think Maleficent would have done better in China if it wasn't shown a week before Transformers 4, it took almost all of the cinemas on its second week. Not necessarily killing it, SK I would give you. 

Edited by wfb
  • Like 2

Agreed the Chinese numbers aren't that far apart. What I find interesting though is the differing cultural dynamic. "Boy quadrent" films are killing in China and still doing very well in SK. Japan tends female and older.

• Like 1

31.5 multiplier (so far) is a really sexy for Japan. :wub:

Corpse says

It would have to be frontloaded as hell to not reach $50 million, and the term frontloaded doesn't really exist in Japan. There is usually no more than 5 or so wide-releases a year that get multipliers under 5. Kamen Rider are some of the most frontloaded films, and even they get over 4 and sometimes 5.

Multiplier breakdown:

Less than 3: I've never seen a film have less than this, so I don't believe it's doable...

Less than 5: Usually reserved for films with very niche appeal or very poorly received films released in January, February, June, or October (the four weakest months of the year).

5-7: The norm. The vast majority of releases end up in this range. Even sequels and yearly installments such as Detective Conan or Pokemon have no problem getting here. Films with bad reviews can sometimes pull of a 5, too.

8-10: Films that earn a multiplier in this range usually have holiday support and are released during robust times of the year. Great reviews and WOM also play a big role here. Also, films that play nearly exclusively to the senior demo generally have no problems ending up here.

10+: Wide-scale appeal, plays well with the 40+ audience (the biggest demo in Japan), and has great reviews. A multiplier of this level almost always requires a release date around Obon (July) or New Year (December) to go this high, too, though there are a few exceptions.

15+: Everything that a 10+ film has, but also includes repeat viewings. The Japanese rarely go to the movies, much less to see the same film two or more times (TV remains very popular in Japan). But when they do, big things happen. Fewer than 10 films have earned a 15+ multiplier in the past 15 years, and only one was released outside of July and December.

So, was that one before or after Frozen? :D

Funny that the film with the biggest multiplier ever in Japan did open outside of the months normally associated with the big multipliers.Posted Image

Agreed the Chinese numbers aren't that far apart. What I find interesting though is the differing cultural dynamic. "Boy quadrent" films are killing in China and still doing very well in SK. Japan tends female and older.

Is there any reason for that? Are Japanese males more patriotic that they've rejected Hollywood movies made for their demographic to support the local films with similar premise?

Saturday admissions in several Chains as of 3PM local time
[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *1 *45977 マレフィセント-----Maleficent
 *2 *13379 オール・ユー・ニード・イズ・… Edge of Tomorrow
 *3 *12919 アナと雪の女王-----Frozen
 *4 **9555 超高速!参勤交代
 *5 **8440 それいけ!アンパンマン りん…
 *6 **4008 DOCUMENTARY of…
 *7 **3061 トランセンデンス
 *8 **3045 渇き。
 *9 **2515 ノア 約束の舟
 10 **2280 春を背負って
  • Like 4

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *4 **9555 超高速!参勤交代
 *7 **3061 トランセンデンス
 *8 **3045 渇き。
 *9 **2515 ノア 約束の舟
 10 **2280 春を背負って

Does that mean about $3M-$4M for Maleficent on Saturday?

Edited by 23IsEverywhere

[順位] [販売数] [映画作品タイトル名]
 *4 **9555 超高速!参勤交代
 *7 **3061 トランセンデンス
 *8 **3045 渇き。
 *9 **2515 ノア 約束の舟
 10 **2280 春を背負って

Saturday estimated M$

Maleficent 2,8-3,2

Edge of Tomorrow 0,8-1,0

Frozen 0,7-0,9

• Like 4

Corpse

Weekend Forecast [07/05-06]

Posted Image

01 (--) ¥680 million ($6.6 million), 0, Maleficent (Disney) NEW
02 (--) ¥230 million ($2.2 million), 0, ¥310 million ($3.0 million), Edge of Tomorrow (Warner Bros.) NEW

03 (01) ¥209 million ($2.0 million), -24%, ¥24.65 billion ($241.9 million), Frozen (Disney) Week 17
04 (02) ¥133 million ($1.2 million), -22%, ¥890 million ($8.7 million), Mission Impossible: Samurai (Shochiku) Week 3
05 (--) ¥90 million ($880,000), 0, ¥120 million ($1.1 million), Documentary of AKB48: The Time Has Come (Toho Video Division) NEW
06 (04) ¥82 million ($800,000), -27%, ¥340 million ($3.3 million), Thirst (Gaga) Week 2
07 (--) ¥75 million ($730,000), 0, Anpanman: The Apple Boy and Everyone's Wishes! (Tokyo Theaters, Co.) NEW
08 (03) ¥70 million ($680,000), -41%, ¥320 million ($3.1 million), Transcendence (Shochiku/Pony Canyon) Week 2
09 (05) ¥64 million ($620,000), -35%, ¥1.24 billion ($12.1 million), Noah (Paramount) Week 4
10 (06) ¥43 million ($410,000), -49%, ¥200 million ($1.9 million), The Grudge: The Beginning of the End (Showgate) Week 2

• Like 4

I am not disputing your accuracy, indeed I greatly admire your and others' work. I was just wondering why, since most website use the BOM figure, there has been no article around the net stating that Frozen has beaten Spirited Away, as there have been when it reached the top three of all time in Japan. Also, wouldn't Disney be eager to claim that they have the highest grossing movie ever in USD?

While many websites may ref BOM, they usually only do it for the entire OS number, which is accurate. Also, even though it lists individual country totals in USD, BOM only mentions records when the film wins in the local currency, so even if Frozen passes SA in USD, it's going to be behind in Yen (and possibly behind Titanic, too. It may not be able to leg out the next 20b or so needed at this point.)If any place does mention the record in USD, it's going to either be lazy reporting (and in which case they should have already done it), or they'll note it with a caveat. For the most part, the USD totals are good for a general sense, but you really need to look at the local currency to get a true accuracy.Ironically, while Frozen should pass SA's USD total in the next few weeks, it may never have a chance of being the highest grossing film in a single territory outside the US in USD, because TF4 may pass the total in China before that.

BOM's OS numbers are joke. They just take gross in local currency and multiply with current exchange rate. RTH said studios negotiate bulk exchange rates which tend to be slightly more favorable. So exact BO in $ can only obtained from the studio and has little value.

I would say only local BO and admissions have value. Studios having global reach does not always repatriate the money back to $. It has only bottom line value. 

So irrespective of whether Frozen beats SA in $ gross its only a pyrrhic victory. Ultimately SA has sold more tickets and has grossed more in ¥. 

Yes this is what stands out to me also. I dont know if the male to female ratio is very different in japan? I must say I expected a movie like EoT to be a huge hit in Japan because of the source material, Cruise and the video game like premise, but maybe they should have brought Blunt on the Japan promo tour and played up her role more.

So irrespective of whether Frozen beats SA in $ gross its only a pyrrhic victory. Ultimately SA has sold more tickets and has grossed more in ¥. 

No, SA is the one with the pyrrhic victory. Frozen holds the records that actually matter.

Also

Spirited Away's gross outside Japan: 45.4 millionFrozen's gross outside Japan: 1.02 billion

:bop: