Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

presales for Marnie is weak?

Presales in one of the biggest theater in western  Japan for Marnie..

西宮マーニー10:50 51 / 303〃     13:20 44 / 303〃     15:50 23 / 303〃     18:20 13 / 303〃     20:50 41 / 303〃     9:50 33 / 150〃     12:20 16 / 150〃     14:50 28 / 150〃     17:20 2 / 150251 / 2115 12%

Well, it does not look that strong...as opposed to the OW of Frozen and Conan...

They have Frozen bread and ice cream?!  Well, ice cream I can see, but bread?! Jeez, Frozen really is taking over!   :o

As the others have shown, it's not quite what you'd expect by the bread description. The Japanese word "pan" (pronounced sorta like "pahn") is a bit more encompassing, and includes a variety of filled buns or  pastries  as well as the traditional loafs you might expect. They're usually filled with a sweet paste, custard, or cream, but it can be savory. The full name will usually include a description of what's inside. Anpan for red bean paste. Kuripan for curry filling (I think, at least. My Japanese is really rusty and was never comprehensive.)

I can't quite read the labels of those images, so I'm not sure what flavor Anna and Elsa have.

I may need to check out Uwajimaya to see if they're available there.

This weekend is beginning to look very underwhelming.

Presales for both Marnie and Pokemon look slow.  Marnie is looking more like a Poppy Hill than an Arrietty.  This isn't too unexpected as their light/non-fantasy films always do less than their heavy fantasy films, but it's still disappointing even though it'll likely get above a 10 multiplier.  And Pokemon honestly doesn't look any stronger than last year's film right now, which is weird considering every first film of a new generation has increased in the past.  Well, the first Best Wishes film actually dropped on opening weekend, but went on to outgross the last Diamond & Pearl film, so there is that case.    

¥500 million might be asking too much if presales are to go by for either film.  And Maleficent staying above ¥500 million is probably unlikely as well.  Even Kamen Rider and Planes are looking really bad, and they weren't expected to do very well to begin with.

If no film breaks ¥500 million this weekend, it'd be the first time since... sometime in the early 1990s (1991/1992 perhaps).  There's been at least one film well above that mark since at least 1996. This is the strongest weekend of the year, afterall.    

We'll see as the day begins if walk-ups help counter this disappointing news.  I'll have a forecast up in an hour or two.

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 1

It is still a 3-day holiday weekend, however, and Sunday is a Movix Cinemas discount day, so Saturday could be the weakest of the 3-days.  Let's hope.

If I remember correctly, Saturday was the weakest day in 2012 when a Toho Cinemas day fell on a Sunday, too  

It is still a 3-day holiday weekend, however, and Sunday is a Movix Cinemas discount day, so Saturday could be the weakest of the 3-days.  Let's hope. If I remember correctly, Saturday was the weakest day in 2012 when a Toho Cinemas day fell on a Sunday, too

The new movies have good reviews?For your text, it'll be three movies fighting for number one place. Then, Maleficent can be number one.

It looks like a 3-way battle for the top, but I believe Pokemon has the slight advantage.  As long as it opens around last year's film, that'd be enough to be #1 I think (especially in admissions).    

Overall, it's hard to say right now.  The Wind Rises didn't play well in the morning and did much better in the afternoon/evening since it skewed older, so perhaps Marnie will play better in the afternoon/evening than Maleficent and Pokemon.  And Maleficent has the advantage of much higher ticket prices, so it can afford to lose the admissions battle.  

Frozen should rank 6th-8th this weekend.  It only has a few showings at most locations now.  

Someone mentioned to me that the huge success of the Frozen DVD might be affecting the weekend box-office.  DVDs don't sell over 1 million in such a short amount of time in Japan, and most don't even sell 1/3 of that in their life.  A DVD selling even 100,000 copies is a big success in the market.  It's reasonable to believe a lot of families or people in general may hold off on seeing a movie right now because of it purchasing the DVD.  This is the strongest weekend of the year, and nothing really seems to be doing much of anything at this point, so maybe there is some truth to that theory.  

Edited by Corpse
  • Like 2

It looks like a 3-way battle for the top, but I believe Pokemon has the slight advantage.  As long as it opens around last year's film, that'd be enough to be #1 I think (especially in admissions).   Overall, it's hard to say right now.  The Wind Rises didn't play well in the morning and did much better in the afternoon/evening since it skewed older, so perhaps Marnie will play better in the afternoon/evening than Maleficent and Pokemon.  And Maleficent has the advantage of much higher ticket prices, so it can afford to lose the admissions battle. Frozen should rank 6th-8th this weekend.  It only has a few showings at most locations now. Someone mentioned to me that the huge success of the Frozen DVD might be affecting the weekend box-office.  DVDs don't sell over 1 million in such a short amount of time in Japan, and most don't even sell 1/3 of that in their life.  A DVD selling even 100,000 copies is a big success in the market.  It's reasonable to believe a lot of families or people in general may hold off on seeing a movie right now because of it purchasing the DVD.  This is the strongest weekend of the year, and nothing really seems to be doing much of anything at this point, so maybe there is some truth to that theory.

Is this bad? How much Maleficent is falling? I was hoping 4,8 - 5 million weekend (20% drop).

I don't doubt it's appeal. The number and longevity of the movie speaks for itself. I just want to know why. I don't want to jump into conclusion that Japanese people are such softies they love everything that cute because that'd be a shallow assumption. I know there's more to the movie than sweet songs and pretty visual.

But you are talking like this is unique to Japan.  Remember that Frozen did over 400M DOM and if the dvd had not come out when it did it had a shot to win the year.

And there are several countries where Frozen set records for animated movies.

• Like 1

Right now Pokemon looks ahead and a safe choice for #1 this weekend, but, Pokemon is strong in the morning and afternoon, while evening ticket sales drop drastically and night ticket sales are nearly non-existent.  This will allows Marnie and Maleficent to make up some ground and contend with it I believe.

I'm working on the weekend forecast now (I'm doing the 3-day, too, so it's taking a bit longer).  

• Like 1