Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

7 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

found it pretty curious that avatar 1 had only a third of the admits that japans biggest movie has, how many million of admits should 2 be targeting?, 

10 million is good. What matter is the Avg. Ticket price, how High it go? Ofc it can defeat TGM but how high?

Just matching A1 would be great, but I think some level of drop is expected here. If it manages to say in the -10/20% ballpark compared to A1 I'd say that'd be quite good, seeing as Japan is a country where sequels of big films tend to underperform.

JP was also one of worst performers for the original relative to the market (it broke or challenged the all-time record nearly everywhere else, but got nowhere near in Japan), and coupled with the yen - while recovering - still being pretty weak, a very big drop is expected here in USD.

• Like 1

So...a compilation of the last 2 episodes of season 2 and the first episode (1 hour long) of s3 of DS will hit theaters on feb 3, apparently playing super freaking wide too in 418 theaters (think only the last 2 conan films had more). They are giving away two separate cards to complete the poster for advance ticket sales.

I...admire the shamelessness, I guess?

1 minute ago, JustLurking said:

So...a compilation of the last 2 episodes of season 2 and the first episode (1 hour long) of s3 of DS will hit theaters on feb 3, apparently playing super freaking wide too in 418 theaters (think only the last 2 conan films had more). They are giving away two separate cards to complete the poster for advance ticket sales.

I...admire the shamelessness, I guess?

I am just speechless.. Additionally, they are going to release in 80 Countries

Let's be honest, How much will it earn this time? ¥10B?

3 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

I am just speechless.. Additionally, they are going to release in 80 Countries

Let's be honest, How much will it earn this time? ¥10B?

I'm not really sure honestly, this sort of shit is kind of unprecedented LOL. I assume there's still a pretty low market size for this sort of shameless operation, if it crosses 5b with a bunch of old episodes and an episode that will air 2 months after It'll be a bit of a shock and pretty much mean the series can just do whatever the fuck it wants in the market lol.

But like...anything it makes is just stupid profit, it's literally stuff that has either already aired or will air shortly regardless, 0 cost for aniplex.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I do wonder what this could do outside of Japan.

Because this is 1 half recap movie and other a season opening special, that you can watch at home a month or so later.

Like I know Chosen did good, buy that a faith based audience, would an anime audience care? Would Crunchyroll/Theaters in the US give it a "big count" with Creed 3 the same week?

Lol I'm surprised that my joking proposal for a film adaptation of the Entertainment District Arc (basically the reverse of the previous arc) was taken seriously

Anyway unrelated question, but since Shueisha often updates the sales of their manga how it's possible that they announced the 150M copies in circulation of Demon Slayer two years ago and then nothing? If the figure was correct at this point it should surely have exceeded the 160M...

14 minutes ago, MG10 said:

Lol I'm surprised that my joking proposal for a film adaptation of the Entertainment District Arc (basically the reverse of the previous arc) was taken seriously

Anyway unrelated question, but since Shueisha often updates the sales of their manga how it's possible that they announced the 150M copies in circulation of Demon Slayer two years ago and then nothing? If the figure was correct at this point it should surely have exceeded the 160M...

Series that are over don't really have a catalyst (i.e. volume release) that would propel the numbers to be upgraded regularly and often go with no updates at all for long stretches of time. For DS these PR releases at this point are in Aniplex's court and they dont' care that much I guess.

Realistically speaking something like 170M japan/200M+ worldwide seems likely to me. Oricon at ~130M for main series means physical circ should be no less than 135 at minimum, throw in ~20M for digital (realistic mark given what is known about digital), 15M for spinoffs, novels and whatnot and you have a pretty realistic 170M japan. 30M rest of the world is quite safe, Italy+France+US alone will add up to 20M+ with the series being a top seller just about everywhere.

Edited by JustLurking
  • Thanks 1

2022 TOP 10 IMPORTED FILMS IN JAPAN

01. Top Gun: Maverick - ¥13.50B 

02. Jurassic World: Dominion - ¥6.32B

03. Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore - ¥4.60B

04. Minions: The Rise Of Gnu - ¥4.44B

05. Spider-Man: No Way Home - ¥4.25B

06. Sing 2 - ¥3.31B

07. Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - ¥2.16B

08. Venom: Let There Be Carnage - ¥1.91B

09. The Matrix Resurrections - ¥1.40B