Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

I've got another graph.  This one's all the movies that have been in the top 5 on any weekend during Frozen's run.  Numbers come primarily from Corpse's estimates (I haven't found a good source for actuals apart from Frozen and new releases), so movies fall off the graph once they leave the top 10.

Posted Image

• Like 6

Are those up to date actuals already? I thought those didn't come out until Wednesday?

Are those up to date actuals already? I thought those didn't come out until Wednesday?

The official number for number one movie often comes out on Monday.

Yes. Actual numbers from Japan always come out on Monday, unless Monday is a holiday. Last week actuals weren't available until Wednesday because Tuesday was also a holiday. BOM numbers are the ones that are (supposed to be) updated every Wednesday.

Btw, I knew the estimates were low! That's around $7.2m weekend and $167m total right?

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Yes. Actual numbers from Japan always come out on Monday, unless Monday is a holiday. Last week actuals weren't available until Wednesday because Tuesday was also a holiday. BOM numbers are the ones that are (supposed to be) updated every Wednesday.

Btw, I knew the estimates were low! That's around $7.2m weekend and $167m total right?

Awesome. So that makes the weekend closer to 7.24m and the total 167.76m

Monday afternoon update (compared to Monday before GW, 3 weeks ago):

TOHOFrozen - 6117(4/21、6919)88.4%Thermae - 3002109Frozen - 2004(4/21、1528)131.1%Thermae - 836KINEZOFrozen - 1525(4/21、1363)111.7%Thermae - 486

Total:

Frozen - 9646(4/21、9810)98.3%

Thermae - 4324

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Monday 5/12 14:30 update [kinezo+109+toho]

Wk-6      Wk-7     Wk-10 (today) 

Toho     8552      6919   6117

109      1108      1528   2004

Kinezo   1071      1363   1525 

*Total   10731   9810     9646

Great Start to the Week!!  :D 

Edited by Hans13
  • Like 2

Monday 5/12 14:30 update [kinezo+109+toho]

Wk-6      Wk-7     Wk-10 (today) 

Toho     8552      6919   6117

109      1108      1528   2004

Kinezo   1071      1363   1525 

*Total   10731   9810     9646

Great Start to the Week!!  :D 

It's interesting that TOHO is dropping from week 6 & 7, but the other chains are increasing. You can see the difference here clearly. Why is that?

Possibly the singalong? From the trend in the US, it looks like it generated some interest, but doesn't sustain it. If Toho had that showcased in a bigger way, it could see a drop where other chains won't.

(This isn't a criticism about the singalong. I think it was a great idea by Disney, even if it didn't pay off as well as it should have. Hopefully they can leverage it better in the next musical.)

Edited by DamienRoc

Possibly the singalong? From the trend in the US, it looks like it generated some interest, but doesn't sustain it. If Toho had that showcased in a bigger way, it could see a drop where other chains won't.

(This isn't a criticism about the singalong. I think it was a great idea by Disney, even if it didn't pay off as well as it should have. Hopefully they can leverage it better in the next musical.)

No, singalong wasn't released until GW, which was the 7th weekend (4/26). Also, on the contrary, singalong is actually a huge success in Japan, almost always managed to get the highest saturation. More than what they thought it would be. But it was a limited screening in the first place (only until May 9), so many theaters stopped screening it. But due to the success of singalong, other theaters kept showing it even though that wasn't the plan.

Edited by catlover

Despite Frozen being so huge over Golden Week, its drop was really muted. Compare the Thanksgiving opening and following weekend, when it fell 53%, which was pretty much in the same range as other big animated films post Thanksgiving.

The post-Thnkasgiving weekend was its second weekend and there is always a drop associated with second weekend earnings, regardless of how well-received the movie is. But we can remove the second-weekend effect...

I think a more relevant comparison would be the weekend after New Year (when it was in its 7th weekend, similarly to its 9th weekend in Japan which was post-Golden Week). Post-New Year it dropped 31.4%. Post-GW it dropped (1 - 737/1090) = 32.4%. Very similar drops in both cases.

The official number has been released.The weekend gross is737 m Yen, with total gross 10.78 billion yen.

Superb!! Basically flat from 2 weekend ago! :D

Toho x around 68 o.O Likely the combined effect of 109's discount and of the dying singalong.