Corpse

JAPAN BOX OFFICE | Demon Slayer breaks all time record for OW

19 hours ago, Mojoguy said:

I think Zootopia fans should be nervous about that number.

$4m OW means it is going to need a 15x multiplier, which will be difficult, to get to $1 billion.

Realistically, yes, but WDAS movies have been killing it with WOM in Japan lately, and while Zootopia is a different movie (as they all are individually), all indications (few though they may be) are that its reception in Japan has been fantastic.  Maybe WDAS can get that 15+ multiplier a third time in a row for the "hat trick."  If it were just up to chance, then I would say that this is crazy, but it's not just up to chance.

19 hours ago, No Prisoners said:

Not bad. Actually close to the 15 year average

The exchange rate is better than it was for Big Hero 6--about halfway between that and Frozen's, and that isn't bad (it's been getting better, unlike in some regions).

By the way, with the exchange rates enjoyed by Toy Story 3 we'd be talking about a 12 multiplier instead of 15.

19 hours ago, cannastop said:

I actually am pretty nervous about Zootopia's $1 billion chances.

I've been "nervous" about it for a while, but the movie's box office performance has so far lived up to the quite lofty expectations needed for such a run.  It will be close, either way, but until this movie stops delivering surprises, I'll still think it will make it.

However, combined with the legs in North America, it think it has a shot. And it's not like Zootopia is a stranger to large multipliers. Also, the Japanese audiences online seem to recognize Zootopia as something really special.

WDAS in general are not strangers to large multipliers, including Japan.  A 15 multiplier is really, really large, to be sure, and generally rare, but it has almost become routine for WDAS, as three of their last four animated features prior to Zootopia have achieved it.  People still tend to underestimate WDAS and won't exactly flock to their movies on opening weekend, but when they like what they see, they sure get the word out.

Last time around, Big Hero 6 faced what seemed to be overwhelming competition from a local (Japanese) animation franchise, but ultimately came out ahead.  Zootopia likewise faces such competition, and although it has come in well under BH6's opening weekend, this could simply mean that it's even more underestimated.  In Japan, with some obvious exceptions for some movies/franchises, most people have a wait-and-see attitude when it comes to movies (more so than in most markets), but if the ones who saw a new movie really like it, then others--possibly very many others--will come along eventually.

18 hours ago, Planodisney said:

I think 1 billion is almost dead.  

The only 2 markets it underperformed my expectations are Japan and the U.K.  Japan still has a shot but I don't see signs of a breakout.

Signs of a breakout, from our perspective, would be in the movie's holds and its legs, and that remains to be seen.  The only other sign has been its critical reception, which is highly positive in a way that would seem to suggest great WOM and legs.

Anyway, it's going to finish just ahead of DM2 WW and International number and right around Minions domestic.

Pretty awesome for an original animation.

Yeah, either way it has been and will be a most impressive run. :)  But there may yet be another surprise or two in store.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 1

Thank you very much @edroger3 and @cannastop ! It makes more sense now. I see that exchange rate make quite a big difference.

@Claudio: You're right, my figures were too high.

@LMAbacus: OMG! Sorry, this made me laugh so hard. :D This person should be awarded an official passport of Zootopia by Disney or something. He/she must know all the scripts by heart. ^^

2 hours ago, Max said:

Holy sh**! 14 times! And I though that my 8 times were already big lol. I don't know who holds the world record but I think you are a good contender ^^

15 times now! :lol: and yeah my goal is 2 times a week for all of March and April and once a week for all of May and once in June for a total of 21 times! It gets harder and harder finding theaters every week but I manage! I just love that movie so much haha :wub:

• Like 2

Corpse :

(C)2016 青山剛昌/名探偵コナン製作委員会

Weekend Actuals (04/23-24)/2016年04月23日-2016年04月24日
01 (01) ¥679,206,300 ($6.1 million), -44%, ¥2,525,508,100 ($22.9 million), Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare (Toho) WK2
02 (--) ¥445,804,900 ($4.0 million), 0, ¥445,804,900 ($4.0 million), Zootopia (Disney) NEW
03 (02) ¥238,408,100 ($2.1 million), -40%, ¥724,343,500 ($6.6 million), Crayon Shin-chan: Assault on the Dreaming World (Toho) WK2
04 (--) ¥225,688,700 ($2.0 million), 0, ¥225,688,700 ($2.0 million), I Am a Hero (Toho) NEW
05 (--) ¥179,553,100 ($1.6 million), 0, ¥239,802,800 ($2.1 million), The Revenant (Fox) NEW
06 (--) ¥133,010,600 ($1.2 million), 0, ¥133,010,600 ($1.2 million), Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions (Toei) NEW
07 (03) ¥76,057,900 ($684,000), -47%, ¥3,233,976,400 ($29.0 million), Assassination Classroom: Graduation (Toho) WK5
08 (--) ¥70,507,400 ($634,000), 0, ¥70,507,400 ($634,000), I've Always Liked You: Confession Executive Committee (Aniplex) NEW
09 (07) ¥55,800,800 ($502,000), -17%, ¥1,354,156,700 ($12.4 million), Chihayafuru - Part 1 (Toho) WK6
10 (06) ¥35,640,400 ($320,000), -48%, ¥210,021,200 ($1.9 million), Spotlight (Long Ride) WK2

>Detective Conan: The Darkest Nightmare claims its second-consecutive week atop the box office, and did so pretty easily despite competition from a major Disney release. The 20th installment in the popular franchise sold an excellent 522,023 admissions in its second weekend, bringing its two-week admissions above 1.9 million.

This is by far the biggest second weekend in the series (it's actually higher than all but two of its predecessor's opening weekends!), and it's now outpacing last year's film by a stunning 39%. If it continues along this path, it'll end up exceeding ¥6 billion ($55 million) with over 4.5 million admissions. Needless to say, far and away a new franchise record and potential Top 5 film of 2016.

>Zootopia comes in second place, and while Disney's latest enjoyed a healthy debut, it came in at a fairly distant second, selling 329,513 admissions across 471 screens over the weekend. In comparison, this debut is 42% below Frozen and 26% below Big Hero 6.

The opening itself is only "good", not great, and while it's also unlikely to achieve the legs of either of its studio predecessors, it should still be able to reach the ¥4 billion ($35 million) mark with a slight chance at ¥5 billion ($45 million) as well. This range is the standard range for a Pixar release, and very strong for an imported animated film in general, so Walt Disney Animation does appear to be becoming a bankable brand name at the box office in Japan after all these years.

>I Am a Hero, directed by Shinsuke Sato (Gantz; Library Wars), comes in third place, selling solid 159,964 admissions on 284 screens over the weekend; and thanks to the high avg. ticket price due to its R15+ rating, also comfortably exceeded ¥200 million over the weekend. That number is important because it almost always guarantees a film will exceed the ¥1 billion ($9/10 million) success milestone.

>The Revenant settles for fourth place, but came in lower than expected. Playing on 366 screens, DiCaprio's latest sold 132,848 admissions over the weekend frame, bringing its admissions since Friday up to 181,106. DiCaprio is a very consistent draw in Japan, often guaranteeing openings above ¥300 million, but that clearly wasn't the cast with this film, which is particularly odd considering he finally won an Oscar for his role here. However, the opening is decent enough and should allow it to exceed the ¥1 billion ($9/10 million) milestone.

>Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side of Dimensions misses the Top 5, though still enjoyed a successful debut as it celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. The fourth film in the franchise, the first in 6 years, sold 92,396 admissions on only 137 screens over the weekend.

>I've Always Liked You: Confession Executive Committee comes in WAY above estimates, earning itself an impressive 8th place debut on only 81 screens. The anime film, adapting one of HoneyWorks' Vocaloid song project's sold 50,528 admissions over the weekend.

>Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice experienced a whopping 65% decline in its fifth weekend and dropped out of the Top 10 thanks to 3D/IMAX cuts. So now, its hopes of outgrossing The Dark Knight Rises to become DC's highest-grossing modern film in the market are all but gone, though it'll still claim the second place spot on that list.

>Also falling out of the Top 10 was Doraemon: Nobita and the Birth of Japan in its eighth weekend, but now without becoming the highest-grossing film in the franchise in the process! The 36th installment in the franchise exceeded ¥3.93 billion over the weekend, and will eventually crawl over the ¥4 billion milestone in a couple weeks.

Let's look at Big Hero 6's weekends in Japan, BOM doesn't list them for some stupid reason, because BH6 will be Zootopia's best comparison.

These are some pretty crazy holds for that 15.26x multiplier (final gross was ¥9.18 billion ($77.7 million))!

Per Corpse (5700):

BH6 Weekends:
¥600 million ($5.2 million)
¥454 million ($3.9 million), -24%, ¥2.08 billion ($17.4 million)
¥665 million ($5.6 million), +46%, ¥4.14 billion ($35.2 million)
¥546 million ($4.6 million), -18%, ¥5.72 billion ($48.6 million)
¥426 million ($3.7 million), -22%, ¥6.41 billion ($54.7 million)
¥349 million ($3.0 million), -18%, ¥7.03 billion ($59.9 million)
¥307 million ($2.6 million), -12%, ¥7.57 billion ($64.5 million)
¥227 million ($1.9 million), -26%, ¥7.97 billion ($67.9 million)
¥163 million ($1.4 million), -28%, ¥8.38 billion ($71.5 million)
¥131 million ($1.1 million), -20%, ¥8.61 billion ($73.4 million)
¥159 million ($1.3 million), +21%, ¥8.84 billion ($75.1 million)

• Like 1

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 9:19 AM, Cynosure said:

You took the wrong one. It's the list below. ;)

Weekdays will be weak until Friday which is a holiday (Shōwa Day) and begins Golden Week.

Ladies day wed mite be a good day. I think they are more likely to take in zoo that conan

12 hours ago, LMAbacus said:

There's a Korean person who had seen the movie 57 times by April 10, which given South Korea's release date works out to once a day since it came out.

Jesus christ. My record is seeing Jaws 10 times...over 40 years

17 hours ago, Max said:

Zootopia will be in competition next weekend with Captain America CW. I wonder if super hero movies (Marvel, DC...) are popular in Japan...

Zoo is 4 quadrant.  CA3 won't be too much direct competition

AOU had a ¥700m+ opening but could reach a 4 multi just before summer started.  Marvel fairs better in general but not like it used to with spidey. Zoo should beat CA3s total

17 hours ago, cannastop said:

I actually am pretty nervous about Zootopia's $1 billion chances.

However, combined with the legs in North America, it think it has a shot. And it's not like Zootopia is a stranger to large multipliers. Also, the Japanese audiences online seem to recognize Zootopia as something really special.

It needs to do well with the ladies on wed, bump this weekend and catch on with the kids on children's day, may 5th,  or 1B is dead.

Edited by No Prisoners

5 hours ago, 23IsEverywhere said:

How has Zootopia been holding up on the weekdays?

DAY                           ADM UL     DIFF      GROSS

apr-23    SAT              95.546                  ¥204.191.048      $1.837.719 
apr-24    SUN            114.071     119%   ¥243.780.766      $2.194.027 
apr-25    MON             25.171     22%       ¥53.792.863         $484.136 
apr-26    TUE (EST)     14.000     56%       ¥29.919.355         $269.274 

In comparison the same days for Frozen:

sat    Y 372.063.627
sun   Y 405.209.449
mon  Y 127.797.607
tue    Y 138.575.950
Edited by edroger3
  • Like 2

Thuesday and Thursday are the lowest days in Japan. It will rebound tomorrow (Ladies' Day) then fall again on Thursday before Golden Week begins on Friday. Frozen increasing on Thueday was an exception proving once again just how amazing and unique its run was.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cynosure said:

Thuesday and Thursday are the lowest days in Japan. It will rebound tomorrow (Ladies' Day) then fall again on Thursday before Golden Week begins on Friday. Frozen increasing on Thueday was an exception proving once again just how amazing and unique its run was.

Lots of Japanese commentators are talking about the feminist aspects of Zootopia. Maybe that will give it a boost.

3 minutes ago, Arlo245 said:

Why did it drop so hard on Tuesday?

Wednesday is Ladies' Day so women get a discount around 40%. Women make the majority of movie-goers in Japan and most of them won't go on Thueday when they can go the next day for much cheapter, hence very weak Thuesdays.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Lots of Japanese commentators are talking about the feminist aspects of Zootopia. Maybe that will give it a boost.

Its harsh Tuesday drop suggests it's attracting far more women than men so it should indeed have a nice increase tomorrow.