Jack Nevada

Best original screenplay 2012

Not sure about Amour, it seems like a film that's relying much more on direction and performances to achieve greatness, not necessarily plot and dialogue. Moonrise, The Master and Django are almost certainly in contention though. Other possibilities - Looper, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Sessions, Seven Psychopaths...

Not sure about Amour, it seems like a film that's relying much more on direction and performances to achieve greatness, not necessarily plot and dialogue. Moonrise, The Master and Django are almost certainly in contention though. Other possibilities - Looper, Beasts of the Southern Wild, The Sessions, Seven Psychopaths...

I think Amour's one of those films that the Academy will just go crazy over, and it's strength, and sentiment within the academy will just carry it into nominations in a million nominations in some categories that it may not deserve [see Hugo, Artist, and Benjamin Button]But I do think that if The Master and PTA are going to win anywhere, it'd be here.

I would agree with you about Amour if it wasn't a foreign film. If such emotional and wide-pleasing films as A Separation and The Lives of Others hadn't received more than one or two nominations, what makes you think Amour will? It's not even a crowd-pleaser like Amelie or The Artist. It's supposed to be dark, somber and uncompromising. I could easily see the Academy awarding it Best Foreign Film, but in what other categories can it really be a contender? Especially as this year looks incredibly strong for American films already.

I would agree with you about Amour if it wasn't a foreign film. If such emotional and wide-pleasing films as A Separation and The Lives of Others hadn't received more than one or two nominations, what makes you think Amour will? It's not even a crowd-pleaser like Amelie or The Artist. It's supposed to be dark, somber and uncompromising. I could easily see the Academy awarding it Best Foreign Film, but in what other categories can it really be a contender? Especially as this year looks incredibly strong for American films already.

Half the American films will flop between now and Oscar season at least. :P And, I think that Haneke's name may carry some gravitas to help get the film more nominations. But, I do know that among some academy members that have seen the film, cried, and loved it. But, I do agree with your point, if it gets a BP nomination it'd definitely be more on the No Country side of the spectrum, and being a foreign film it will hinder it. But, at least the country's just France, and not some country like Azerbaijan. :P

I can't describe it. There are so many things to hate about it, which I listed in my "review" in the review forum, but overall I loved it.I know, what the hell?But the lines the girl has are just so eloquent that it's absurd that they could be natural.

Saw Amour a week ago and it's not getting nominated for screenplay. That doesn't mean it's bad, just that the film relies much more on performances and direction. It's neither plot-driven nor dialogue-driven.

If it's regarded as strong enough of a film, it'll get in, even though the screenplay is deemed not very strong. Edited by riczhang

I haven't seen it yet, but do you guys think Looper has any chance of snagging an Original Screenplay nomination?

Looking at Inception and District 9 (adapted, but it doesn't matter), I think it's definitely possible. The field isn't that strong, and the film has definitely made itself visible. I think The Master, Django and Moonrise are almost locked, and then you've got Promised Land, Amour and Looper for the other two spots (plus maybe ZDT, but I'm not a believer yet). I'd say Looper has a good chance to get in.

Looking at Inception and District 9 (adapted, but it doesn't matter), I think it's definitely possible. The field isn't that strong, and the film has definitely made itself visible. I think The Master, Django and Moonrise are almost locked, and then you've got Promised Land, Amour and Looper for the other two spots (plus maybe ZDT, but I'm not a believer yet). I'd say Looper has a good chance to get in.

Moonrise is not almost locked not is Diango. The Master is and I'd say Amour as well. Promised land looks like Hollywood media crap, I'd say it's DOA, but it is Damon and Van Sant.