Olive

Official France Box Office Thread

https://variety.com/2020/film/global/french-moviegoers-out-in-force-in-spite-of-slim-film-offer-1234693063/

Europe’s biggest nation of moviegoers, France, saw its theaters reopen with a bang on June 22 and managed to sell between 850,000 and 900,000 admissions through Sunday.

It’s roughly 50% less than an average week in June, but considering the dearth of fresh releases, the heat wave, which plagued most of the country last week, and fears of a second wave of COVID-19, it’s an “outstanding result that is beyond our most optimistic forecast,” said Eric Marti at Comscore France. Theaters had been shutdown for more than two months.

The admission tally is particularly strong since not all theaters were open during the first part of the week. Indeed, only about 60% of theaters had reopened on Monday and Tuesday, and by Wednesday there were 85% of them, said Marti. Today, most of France’s 2,040 cinemas and 5,700 screens are active.

“As many as 660,000 admissions were sold between Wednesday and Sunday, when almost all the venues had reopened, so it shows that French people have an eagerness to return to theaters,” said Marti.

Unlike in other countries, France also imposed very few restrictions on admissions. “A cap of 50% of auditorium capacities had been initially set before being abandoned on the eve of reopening, and the mask is only mandatory outside of the auditorium,” said Marc-Olivier Sebbag at the FNCF (national federation of exhibitors). Although there is no cap, there needs to be an empty seat on each side in between each patron. Groups – not necessarily people living in the same household — can sit together, however.

France’s box-office results are therefore comparatively bigger than in neighboring countries where cinemas have recently reopened. Germany’s cinema attendance is between 70% and 90% down, and Spain is between 90% and 95% down on an average week in June, for instance. In the Netherlands, meanwhile, admissions are almost on par with France’s, but the country has the advantage of having four fresh local movies. In France, however, theaters reopened with only one new French release, KMBO’s “Filles de Joie,” which ranks 10th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

France delivered. You guys were my last hope. Spain meanwhile is just Portugal but bigger, as it is down 90-95% from a normal week in June.

deadline is a good source if you want to see the box office and gives  more details if i remembers last weekend deadline reported that most countries had big increases and few of them decreased but no by much by 8-10% so basically flat, and one more thing if you read france has different rules and restrictions from other countries, if you read the article

I know as a boxoffice fan I should cheer this, but wtf is wrong with you France. Can't you stay at home for few more months.

Edit:

So 660k on 5700 screens in 5 days. That's roughly 23 person per screen a day, which would be about 5 a show. I guess that's fine.

But if that's just half of normal, France has some pathetic normal.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So 660k on 5700 screens in 5 days. That's roughly 23 person per screen a day, which would be about 5 a show. I guess that's fine.

I imagine a lot would be from the top 10% screen and from those screen a lot from the top 5% showing.

14 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine a lot would be from the top 10% screen and from those screen a lot from the top 5% showing.

Yeah that would exist everywhere but since we are talking average for all,

USA average work out $210mn a week for roughly 16 person a show.

In Bollywood the average works out to be around 35 person a show.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Half of really bad June week with no major openings. Reasonably good week should have 2.5-3.5 mln admissions in June and July

Edited by juni78ukr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Half of really bad June week with no major openings. Reasonably good week should have 2.5-3.5 mln admissions in June and July

France had 214mn last year, that would work 4.1mn admits per week, so Variety with their reporting :gold:

4.1mn would be roughly 21 admits per show, better than USA.

13 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I know as a boxoffice fan I should cheer this, but wtf is wrong with you France. Can't you stay at home for few more months.

Edit:

Anecdotally, but I don't think anyone is really staying at home eitherway in Southern Europe so...

Edited by FantasticBeasts

9 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

hahaha :)))) why? with what money you want people live if they stay home? i understand. pandemic. pandemic all over the world. i understand that. but enough is enough. now is another word. economy. if people don't work. they have no money. so...they don't have resources to live. it's very simple. we are not all rich like others. we have to work.  

so yeah. good job France. hope you're an example that will be followed by all the countries in the world very soon. we need to open now everything. we have to get our rights again as soon as possible. freedom to move. freedom to speak. our stores. cinemas. everything. we need to back to normal. pandemic is over. and France is the best exemple in Europe. good job guys. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thunder storm said:

hahaha :)))) why? with what money you want people live if they stay home? i understand. pandemic. pandemic all over the world. i understand that. but enough is enough. now is another word. economy. if people don't work. they have no money. so...they don't have resources to live. it's very simple. we are not all rich like others. we have to work.  

Since Cinemagoing is non-essential, it would be pretty great if Cinemagoing is avoided for some time.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Since Cinemagoing is non-essential, it would be pretty great if Cinemagoing is avoided for some time.

idk why cinemas are the problem, in cafeterias and restaurants and hell even jut outside is worse so why cinemas are the problem ? idk why people when talking about gathering they always talk about bars or movie theaters as people dont gather in other places ...........................

ps at the same time, there is no timeline for the pandemic, so yeah there is that plus france and vast majority of europe is in a good place, so idk why you have a problem

ps2 for a few more months with business open in general if you really expect that people will say oh well i will go outside only for work buy esessential things and maybe for a walk, then idk what to say to you, but its not realistic, based from what i have seen, hear, and gathered in general, movie theaters may be the least of the things that the goverments should be concerned

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

The fact that some people are cheering so hard for cinemas to end is disgusting.

Cinemas are as essencial as restaurants. Yet one can open and the other can't? Let them try to survive.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The fact that some people are cheering so hard for cinemas to end is disgusting.

Cinemas are as essencial as restaurants. Yet one can open and the other can't? Let them try to survive.

i wouldnt say as essentials but yeah at the same time its not like people dont gatherd even on the streets

11 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

we are talking average for all

In term of coronavirus, "worst case" (or the best for the sellers of ticket) is an important metric here, most of the shows (virtually empty) does not tell us much. But yes i could see if it is usually hot and nice outside during that time for France to have very low attendance numbers.

Edited by Barnack

51 minutes ago, john2000 said:

idk why cinemas are the problem, in cafeterias and restaurants and hell even jut outside is worse so why cinemas are the problem ?

How AC system work and filtration of air recycling is a very important metric for this, it could be possible that movie theater are specially bad (like cruise ship or some type of restaurant were).

But has a general rules indication are that anything outside is much safer than anything inside, non take out/car service restauration and movie theater are obviously non essential

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How AC system work and filtration of air recycling is a very important metric for this, it could be possible that movie theater are specially bad (like cruise ship or some type of restaurant were).

But has a general rules indication are that anything outside is much safer than anything inside, non take out/car service restauration and movie theater are obviously non essential

didnt they were but people talk like only movie theaters are the problem when thats not the case , thousands of people in beaches in uk, is not better thasn going to movie theater , it seems that people are ignoring all the other gatherings that are happening and focus only on cinemas and bars my point is that its not realistic to think that people will go out only for a walk , work and essential things for a few more months 

Edited by john2000

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

is "non-essential" for who? for you? okay then. don't go. it's simple. but for people that are working in this industry cinemagoing is essential. VERY essential. this business has to rise again. and what happened in France last weekend is a good start. a really good start. 

again: congrats France. 

and off topic: congrats Nole Djokovic and Serbia.  

Edited by thunder storm
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1