Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Press release here in the Philippines

“BIG HERO 6” OPENS AT NO.1, GROSSES P70-M IN 4 DAYS

MANILA, Nov. 10, 2014 – A child prodigy and his lovable robot charmed their way into the hearts of families, fanboys and girls, enabling Disney's “Big Hero 6” to gross a stunning P69.99-million nationwide in just four days (Nov. 6 to 9) and open at No.1.

Arriving with some of the year's best reviews, “Big Hero 6” benefited from strong exit recommendations and the characters' wide appeal to overlapping audiences.

The animated adventure broke several records on its debut weekend run, the highlights of which are: the Biggest All-Time Non-Franchise Animated Film Opening Weekend (surpassing the P45.9-M of “Up”); Biggest All-Time Disney Animation Studios' Opening Weekend (beating the P58.2-M of “Monsters University”); and Biggest 2014 4-Day Opening Weekend for Animation (ahead of “The Lego Movie's” P23.8-M).

“Big Hero 6's” opening weekend numbers are also 63 percent higher than its box-office competitor, “Interstellar” which bowed at P26.23-M for second place.

In the U.S., “Big Hero 6″ topped the charts with $56.2 million from 3,761 locations, continuing Walt Disney Animation Studios’ recent hot streak with past blockbusters “Frozen” and “Wreck-It Ralph.”

• Like 9

I guess you're a girl so that's not surprising given Frozen is really girl-centric.BH6 is boy-centric so it's another target.

I liked BH6 just fine but feel Frozen is one of Disney's best.

I don't consider Frozen girl-centric.  Perhaps sibling centric.

I also don't really consider BH6 boy-centric.  My wife enjoyed it more then I did.

• Like 4

MANILA, Nov. 10, 2014 – A child prodigy and his lovable robot charmed their way into the hearts of families, fanboys and girls, enabling Disney's “Big Hero 6” to gross a stunning P69.99-million nationwide in just four days (Nov. 6 to 9) and open at No.1.

Arriving with some of the year's best reviews, “Big Hero 6” benefited from strong exit recommendations and the characters' wide appeal to overlapping audiences.

The animated adventure broke several records on its debut weekend run, the highlights of which are: the Biggest All-Time Non-Franchise Animated Film Opening Weekend (surpassing the P45.9-M of “Up”); Biggest All-Time Disney Animation Studios' Opening Weekend (beating the P58.2-M of “Monsters University”); and Biggest 2014 4-Day Opening Weekend for Animation (ahead of “The Lego Movie's” P23.8-M).

“Big Hero 6's” opening weekend numbers are also 63 percent higher than its box-office competitor, “Interstellar” which bowed at P26.23-M for second place.

In the U.S., “Big Hero 6″ topped the charts with $56.2 million from 3,761 locations, continuing Walt Disney Animation Studios’ recent hot streak with past blockbusters “Frozen” and “Wreck-It Ralph.”

YASSSSS. Basically outgrossed Tangled and Wreck-it Ralph's total gross in 4days.

• Like 5

It even helped that the story was so intact, a fully-realized that it left no loose ends or plotholes (unlike Frozen).

Since Hiro invented the microbots that the villain used, shouldn't he have been able to come up with a safer, more direct method of defeating them than forming a team of superheroes? Was this even discussed at all or was it simply ignored? I don't recall Frozen having any major plot holes.

I don't consider Frozen girl-centric.

It is a complete myth, and the same goes for Tangled and the vast majority of WDAS animated features from any era, for that matter. Walt Disney was no girly-man. :)

Perhaps sibling centric.

Sure, to a point, although ultimately the whole story centers on and revolves around the true meaning of love. If anyone wishes to argue that love and sacrifice are girl-centric and therefore not for them, then be my guest--afterward, never watch a war or superhero or many other kinds of movie again. ;)

I also don't really consider BH6 boy-centric.

It might be to the extent that things like robots, science and technology in general, and superheroes are supposedly boy-centric, if that is really true at all (you all decide for yourselves). In any case, WDAS almost always succeeds in giving their movies universal, four-quadrant appeal, which usually mitigates/bridges the general differences between the genders. That said, people still often believe in the myth of girl-centric and boy-centric WDAS movies anyway.

• Like 1

right... i completely forgot about that one. I wonder if Penguins will bomb as hard... though i suspect it will do quite a bit better (also i would assume its cheaper anyways)

so overall competition is really somewhat similar... maybe even a bit weaker. Mockingjay might be a bit stronger than those, but then we probably wont see any more ~300M grossers at the end of the year.

Penguins will definitely take a larger bite out of Big Hero 6, just because Madagascar franchise is more popular.. But by the time Hobbit 3 comes out it will have been in theaters for over a month, so i dont think that film will have much, if any effect. 

The OS box office is often a challenge for original (i.e. non-sequel) animated features, so it's certainly great to hear about the movie having such a good (and lucrative) reception in other countries. Big things are expected of it in Asia (and surrounding areas), and this is a great start. :D

WOM seems very strong OS as well as DOM (a WDAS movie has been undersold once again, which would seem to help), so hopefully this will translate to a good-to-great OW multiplier. I'll set the baseline at 3.6X for the DOM market, which informally seems to be the nominal average (and median, as well) for original animated features. Major WDAS movies have consistently beaten this baseline since Meet the Robinsons (when story quality began to recover), so it is reasonable to expect Big Hero 6 to do the same since it did not open huge (people are still underestimating WDAS, even after Frozen).

• Like 3

It is a complete myth, and the same goes for Tangled and the vast majority of WDAS animated features from any era, for that matter. Walt Disney was no girly-man. :)

That's true, while Disney is known for the fairytale films, there aren't actually that many out of the 54 films released by WDAS, I'd argue there is more films with talking animals and they were just as successful. Walt adapted from fairytales, classic books and books that were known but not widely popular, look at Mary Poppins, PL Travers hated the film but it was a huge success and I imagine increased her book sales and her bank account. 

Big Hero 6 should certainly beat other original animated films lately OS like Wreck it Ralph and Lego Movie.

I'm thinking that Big Hero 6 won't have the same issues that these two movies apparently had with being relatively culture-specific (I'm not talking about the setting, but things like dialogue and subject matter). The Lego Movie in particular really suffered outside of the English-speaking world, actually making less OS than DOM.

I think a good target would actually be around How to Train Your Dragon 2 OS number.

That would be a good OS result, especially for an original animated feature. Among original animated features, a closer comparison would be Tangled or The Croods, for example. Although it's very early, at this point I think we're looking at a WW gross of $600M with the potential to gross substantially more, in my opinion (I've predicted as high as $700M WW in another thread, and despite its somewhat lower-than-expected OW gross I'm sticking with that possibility). It could gross less than $600M WW, I suppose, but that would be surprising to me (not taking anything for granted, but just assigning probabilities).

Just finished watching BH6.

it will have great WOM $300M DOM

That would take about a 5.3X OW multiplier, which is borderline insane this day and age. Even the original HTTYD had only a 5X multiplier (already kind of crazy), but it opened with only $43.7M, which makes it easier (these aren't completely independent variables, of course). Frozen had a 5.9X multiplier, but it was a cultural phenomenon. I'm not saying that $300M DOM couldn't happen, but it's unlikely to the extreme.

Now, performing like the original Despicable Me, DOM, would be great for Big Hero 6--the latter opened close to the former, and with a similarly strong multiplier $250M should be within range. Of course, the former has the wildly popular Minions, but maybe Baymax will prove to be just as popular. My main concern at this point is whether children or their parents will find certain aspects of the movie upsetting enough to harm its WOM, but hopefully this won't be the case.

Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2

My main concern at this point is whether children or their parents will find certain aspects of the movie upsetting enough to harm its WOM, but hopefully this won't be the case.

I doubt it. I didn't have any crying kids or anything. The film got thunderous applause at my screening. This is not like HTTYD2.

No father getting killed by the lovable creature under mind-control, no issues about maternal abandonment, no scenes of captive innocent creatures getting physically abused, no long stretches of the movie with just people talking.

This is more kid-friendly in a way Dragon 2 wasn't. (And mind you, I really liked both of them.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

That would take about a 5.3X OW multiplier, which is borderline insane this day and age. Even the original HTTYD had only a 5X multiplier (already kind of crazy), but it opened with only $43.7M, which makes it easier (these aren't completely independent variables, of course). Frozen had a 5.9X multiplier, but it was a cultural phenomenon. I'm not saying that $300M DOM couldn't happen, but it's unlikely to the extreme.

Now, performing like the original Despicable Me, DOM, would be great for Big Hero 6--the latter opened close to the former, and with a similarly strong multiplier $250M should be within range. Of course, the former has the wildly popular Minions, but maybe Baymax will prove to be just as popular. My main concern at this point is whether children or their parents will find certain aspects of the movie upsetting enough to harm its WOM, but hopefully this won't be the case.

I think that the Disney art style will help the film avoid any issues with the unsettling nature of certain film events.

The reason that I am predicting the very high multiplier is the contrast between the quality of the ads and the quality of the movie. Also I think a large part of the movie's periphery audience saw IS this weekend (a lot of my friends (early to mid 20s) saw IS this weekend but plan on seeing BH6 next weekend.

On the other hand I do know that the prediction is a bit out there but this film was just so much better than expected.

Edited by 23IsEverywhere
  • Like 1

I'm thinking that Big Hero 6 won't have the same issues that these two movies apparently had with being relatively culture-specific (I'm not talking about the setting, but things like dialogue and subject matter). The Lego Movie in particular really suffered outside of the English-speaking world, actually making less OS than DOM.

That would be a good OS result, especially for an original animated feature. Among original animated features, a closer comparison would be Tangled or The Croods, for example. Although it's very early, at this point I think we're looking at a worldwide gross of $600M with the potential to gross substantially more, in my opinion (I've predicted as high as $700M in another thread, and despite its somewhat lower-than-expected OW gross I'm sticking with that possibility). It could gross less than $600M WW, I suppose, but that would be surprising to me (not taking anything for granted, but just assigning probabilities).

The Lego Movie did good considering it was released in February, it did do very well in places like the UK where it did over £30m and I imagine Warner Bros was happy with how it did considering the mixed success they've had with animated films in the past.

I think BH6 will likely outgross both Wreck it Ralph and Tangled OS, it does a staggered release date OS like Ralph and Tangled so I expect it'll do well in places that'll get it in early 2015 when the competition is not as competitive.

Aside from WIR, The Lion King and Aladdin, I think the last successful boy centric WDAS was Tarzan, it's overlooked compared to the other 90s film but people forget it was very successful grossing over $400m WW.

• Like 2

Aside from WIR, The Lion King and Aladdin, I think the last successful boy centric WDAS was Tarzan, it's overlooked compared to the other 90s film but people forget it was very successful grossing over $400m WW.

Tarzan beat Toy Story 2 in the overseas boxoffice which is impressive. Both came out in the same year.

Tarzan is one of my favorite WDAS films. It will never truly be forgotten because the Tarzan character is so popular worldwide. :bop:

Since Hiro invented the microbots that the villain used, shouldn't he have been able to come up with a safer, more direct method of defeating them than forming a team of superheroes? Was this even discussed at all or was it simply ignored? I don't recall Frozen having any major plot holes.

This is true.  However, this is also a grieving, angry and obsessive 14 year old.  I got the impression he wasn't really capable of making fully rational choices at this point.  Also let's not forget that the original design for the microbots didn't come to Hiro immediately.  I don't regard this as a plot hole, but as a reasonable response for a traumatized boy.