Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

I'd have preferred something other than this or HTTYD2 to get the Oscar. I honestly only think this won because it was "the film after Frozen". :P

Look at the attention Idina and Travolta got. WDAS still riding that Elsa goodwill wave yo. :P

Having said that, out of the 3 big studio animation frontrunners this year (Lego, HTTYD2, BH6), BH6 was the one that I liked the most. So yay. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

Last year, Frozen fell just 18.6% the weekend after the Oscars... but for Oscar weekend itself it only fell 17.5%. The win might have had an effect, but it wasn't monumental.

In comparison 12 Years a Slave (the BP winner) increased 116.3%, Gravity (BD and numerous other awards) jumped 1.4%, and Dallas Buyers' Club (Best Actor) went up 42.6%. Blue Jasmine went up over 150%.

What you'll probably see is Birdman get a heck of a bump, while Still Alice and Theory of Everything get more modest ones. BH6 might get a slight arrest, but the video release is still going to hit it hard. The win may end up generating more sales there, though.

Ultimately, this is going to be one of the quietest Oscar winners as well as one of the quietest $200m grossers.

• Like 2

Look at the attention Idina and Travolta got. WDAS still riding that Elsa goodwill wave yo. :P

Having said that, out of the 3 big studio animation frontrunners this year (Lego, HTTYD2, BH6), BH6 was the one that I liked the most. So yay.

Wait, are you talking about the Oscars last year, or did something come up with them this year? (I didn't watch the Oscars.)

EDIT: Just, checked, it was this year. Revenge of Idina! XD

Edited by FrozenUnicorn

Congrats to BH6 on the Oscar win.

The movie was beautifully created and hopefully it will produce a sequel. It has a more open-ended story compared to WiR or Frozen

Things to improve: add romantic relationships and a more memorable theme song. "Happy" certainly helped Despicable Me 2, and something like that should help push a "quiet" movie further.

Another advantage of Big Hero 6 why it won the Oscar is it was the biggest in the box office among the nominees with LEGO out of the picture, so probably more voters watched it with their kids and this is an enjoyable flick so there.

• Like 1

Have just seen this and I L O V V V V V V E D it! This is probably the best Disney animated film for me. I enjoyed HTTYD II, but this could probably win the Oscar for the animation category this year.

This is one of the most beautiful computer animated movies I have ever seen. The animation was gorgeous and the humor was perfect. This has been the best theater experience I've had so far this year. Adults and children all cracked up during the funny parts.

I loved Tadashi and Hiro's relationship way more than Anna and Elsa's. Hiro and Baymax's relationship was awesome too. Expect a lot of Baymax toys this holiday season.

I have no doubt this will gross more than INTERSTELLAR now. Expect big numbers overseas.

This is sequel ready.

Stay after the end credits.

WELL...

• Like 2

Congratulations BH6!   :D

This marks WDAS' second consecutive win and marks Disney's 3rd consecutive win overall.  This might well extend into the longest consecutive wins for the studio since Rango broke the chain Pixar (And Pixar did not release an animated film that year) was on seeing as Inside Out or the Good Dinosaur will probably win next year, followed by Moana or Zootopia, and a Wrinkle in Time or a Pixar film, and Giants.  That equates to about six years of Disney dominance in this field.  Of course, this is ONLY if the films have great critical and audience reception AND Disney and Pixar just keep bringing the goods but as always, you can never be 100% sure as Disney might end it's new Renaissance before the six year is up and who knows, a new animation giant might crawl up on us. :D

2014: FROZEN 

2015: Big Hero 6

2016: Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur

2017: Moana / Finding Dory / Zootopia 

2018: Toy Story 4 

2019: Giants 

Edited by CelestialFairyIX

So I watched it finally.

Overrated, as Frozen was.
Frozen I gave 7/10, with this it wasn't so good - only 6 points out of 10.

Childish*, very predictable twists, with good visuals (scenography, designs, etc), but problems with pacing, and badly written villain motivation made this movie far less entertaining that it should be. 

*I know it's animation for children. But Pixar and old Disney always can make movies for children, that was highly entertaining for adults too.

• Like 1

Congratulations BH6! :D

This marks WDAS' second consecutive win and marks Disney's 3rd consecutive win overall. This might well extend into the longest consecutive wins for the studio since Rango broke the chain Pixar (And Pixar did not release an animated film that year) was on seeing as Inside Out or the Good Dinosaur will probably win next year, followed by Moana or Zootopia, and a Wrinkle in Time or a Pixar film, and Giants. That equates to about six years of Disney dominance in this field. Of course, this is ONLY if the films have great critical and audience reception AND Disney and Pixar just keep bringing the goods but as always, you can never be 100% sure as Disney might end it's new Renaissance before the six year is up and who knows, a new animation giant might crawl up on us. :D

2014: FROZEN

2015: Big Hero 6

2016: Inside Out or The Good Dinosaur

2017: Moana/ Finding Dory / Zootopia

2018: Toy Story 4

2019: Giants