Neo

Big Hero 6 | November 7, 2014 | Now available on home video

Well they have Marvel characters there so I don't see how they wouldn't.

Universal owns the Marvel rights east of the Mississippi river.

WDW can't have the Marvel characters there, but the rule doesn't apply to Disneyland. There are Meet and Greets going on with Thor and Captain America right now at Disneyland. They also set up a cool Iron Man hall of armor exhibit.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/first-look-thor-appearing-in-thor-treasures-of-asgard-at-disneyland-park/

Edited by Mojoguy

Really, what Marvel characters have been at WDW?

I didn't see any there in July but I read that they can/will put Marvel characters there. It's just that they can't use the characters mentioned by Mojoguy and they can't say Marvel in any marketing. Apart from that yeah they can use Marvel characters. I guess that's one reason why GotG is getting such a big push. So they can be used in WDW.
  • Like 2

Finally saw the trailer at Guardians

I was a bit underwhelmed but it does look good

I saw the trailer for the first time as well with Guardians.

I liked it and the part of the crowd that did react, liked it too

• Like 1

They need to start putting the Marvel notice on the posters, GOTG is showing the pull of the Marvel brand. Combine that with the Disney brand, this could do quite well. (Intrigues me how their fanbases intersect now, at my GOTG screening I saw not only kids with Elsa and Olaf T-shirts, but also a couple twentysomethings with Disneyland Est. 1955 faux college sweatshirts and the like.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Marvel only gave Universal the exclusive rights to all of the Avengers, X-Men, Fantastic 4 and Spider-man characters and the associated villains. I would assume Guardians of the Galaxy and BH6 aren't part of the deal.

Not exactly. Universal has the exclusive rights to any and all Marvel characters that they want to use in any of their theme parks East of the Mississippi. However, Universal has to actually use the characters in a theme park. If they use a character, then that characters whole family of characters (friends, villains) are excluded.

Universal has no BH6 characters in their theme parks, so there is no problem with BH6 appearing in WDW. BH6 isn't attached to the 616 universe, so there isn't much of a risk of Universal using BH6 in their theme parks. Although, under the deal, they do have the rights to if they wanted to.

The contract with Universal looked air tight. The Avengers and their enemies are clearly being used by Universal. However, a loophole may have just been found with GOTG. Universal has the right to use GOTG in their theme parks. However, since they currently are not, Disney can technically put GOTG in WDW. Universal may challenge it in court and I have no idea how a Judge will rule. However, my interpretation of the contract is that GOTG is not currently in use by Universal, so Disney does have the right to have GOTG in WDW.

• Like 3

Well they have Marvel characters there so I don't see how they wouldn't.

Disney has Marvel characters in Disneyland in California. They can't have Marvel characters in Walt Disney World in Florida.

However, GOTG may be a loophole in the contract because they are currently not being used by Universal in any Universal theme park east of the Mississippi River.

• Like 2

They need to start putting the Marvel notice on the posters, GOTG is showing the pull of the Marvel brand. Combine that with the Disney brand, this could do quite well.

What you say sure seems to make sense, but it still doesn't feel right to me. Even though it's based on a Marvel property, Big Hero 6 appears to be quite thoroughly a production of Walt Disney Animation Studios (WDAS), and I mean that in every possible sense. It would really be mislabeled with Marvel branding, in my opinion. There is also the Disney brand to consider, and even with no mention of Marvel up till now, most articles I've read have basically called it a Marvel movie. Futhermore, Marvel has its own animation unit that has nothing to do with WDAS, and there may be confusion there as well.There must be a reason Disney hasn't plastered their house brand all over Marvel Studios' movies, and I think it has to do with Marvel fans not being interested in seeing Disney movies. I, too, am not convinced that putting the two brands together would help in terms of box office, and I think that they should be kept separate with Big Hero 6 as they are with Marvel's movies. 

(Intrigues me how their fanbases intersect now, at my GOTG screening I saw not only kids with Elsa and Olaf T-shirts, but also a couple twentysomethings with Disneyland Est. 1955 faux college sweatshirts and the like.)

I'm sure there is some intersection, which can be seen in Disneyland, for example, but in my opinion people should know what they're getting in terms of specific branding. Captain America and Thor are not going to show up for pictures and autographs in Fantasyland or Mickey's Toontown because they don't fit, and similarly the Marvel brand does not fit Big Hero 6, in my opinion (credit for the inspiration should be given at the end, of course, just not plastered on the advertising or all over the beginning of the movie).

Points well taken. I agree that the brands should not be freely intermingled - that is one thing that many people predicted with dread when Disney bought Marvel, and they have done a commendable job not mixing them.I wasn't saying they should plaster the Marvel logo on the posters or at the front of the movie or announce it out loud or anything. I just meant that maybe they should put a conservatively-sized "Inspired by the Marvel Comics characters" somewhere on the poster. After all, they put it in the trailer...But the Disney name should always be bigger than any mention of Marvel, and as I said before, I am absolutely NOT saying they should use the Marvel LOGO. Because this IS a Disney movie, not a Marvel movie.I guess I kind of regret my original suggestion now...

Edited by TServo2049

Maybe that card will have an Elsa-like journey from being non-existent in the initial marketing to being featured least prominently to more prominently with each successive promo and poster.

That's what I can see happening, although I'm not absolutely sure about this, of course. Maybe Disney was simply waiting to see whether Guardians of the Galaxy would sink or swim, and when it became clear enough that it would swim, out came the Marvel name. On the other hand, for all I know this was a one-off for a Marvel movie, and might never be seen again, or it may never move past this point, at least (just a mention rather than actual branding). 

I'm so curious to see how this is gonna perform... I'm wondering if this has a chance of hitting 250-300M range.

Based on the reactions of audiences to its trailers, I think it has a good chance, provided that the movie pleases audiences. For comparison, I wasn't around to discuss How to Train Your Dragon 2's prospects, so you'll have to take my word for it, but I didn't see much enthusiasm from the general audience, so I didn't expect any more than it got. That's not to criticize the movie itself, but virtually all of the wild hype was from fans, as we all now realize with hindsight. Now, GotG almost always got great reactions, so I'm not surprised that it opened strongly, and I expect Big Hero 6 to also open strongly (and hopefully finish strongly if it's good), especially with the goodwill from Frozen and other recent Disney animated features. 

I'm assuming it will be Hiro and Baymax that will be at the meet and greets, or it will be Hiro and Honey Lemon if they want to throw a girl into it.

That sounds right, although it could be all three. 

They will be masked characters because the more cartoony characters and teenage characters all end up being masked.

Possibly, although the Disney Princesses are teenagers (except for Elsa, who is still only 21 anyway), and they get "face" characters. The reason for this is so that they can interact more, and while this is the exception rather than the rule at Disneyland, Honey Lemon in particular seems an awful lot like a "Disney princess" to me. Other young Disney heroines have gotten face characters in the past, and there are other current face characters such as Alice (from Alice in Wonderland) and Wendy (from Peter Pan), and of course the Disney Fairies. It's done on a case-by-case basis, and while I can see why Vanellope was a masked character, Hiro and Honey Lemon are no more cartoony than the other characters that get face characters at Disneyland. 

No way Disney will pay for the whole team. Anna and Elsa were original sceduled to meet fans until the end of January, but they ended up being extended because of popularity. Disney is pretty cheap when it comes to this stuff.

Disney apparently expected Frozen to flop, big time, because normally the princess characters stick around forever. That's probably why they developed and ordered little merchandise for this movie, and tried to sell it as a pure comedy--the marketing division likely failed to see its appeal, at least initially. Fortunately Big Hero 6 seems to have had a lot more support within Disney. 

I wasn't saying they should plaster the Marvel logo on the posters or at the front of the movie or anything.

Yeah, sorry, I was getting ahead of reality there, but it is nevertheless something I would seriously question, should they choose to go that route (as many had expected from the beginning--doesn't mean it will happen, though). 

I just meant that maybe they should put a conservatively-sized "Inspired by the Marvel Comics characters" somewhere on the poster. After all, they put it in the trailer...

That seems fair, but at least from what I've seen much of the media is already giving nearly all of the credit for the movie to Marvel, which I'm sure doesn't sit well with WDAS. Marvel certainly deserves credit, but the movie was made entirely by WDAS, and from what I've seen so far I am positive that it is every bit a Disney animated feature in every way. I mean, anybody who is looking for anything more than a vague resemblance to the comic (or anything Marvel) is probably going to be disappointed--WDAS did what they always do, which is change just about everything to suit their own sensibilities, really making the resulting movie and story their own (hence "inspired by" rather than anything more direct or concrete).By the way, for Marvel's part, they have always tried to make it absolutely clear that BH6 is WDAS' movie and not their own. In fact, it seems that they actually encouraged WDAS from the start to make it anything but a Marvel-like movie (not that WDAS needed any encouragement--it's what they do). Edited by Melvin Frohike
  • Like 2