Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

I really want this to succeed and be good, but the trailer didn't do anything for me. Looks pretty bad to be honest.

I guess I'll have to wait for another trailer, they can be misleading sometimes, maybe it really is good, and I hope it is 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Holy shit...the aliens and stuff look amaze balls...the acting looks iffy...but i have a feeling this will be a very fun popcorn sci-fi action adventure fantasy movie.

Something that IDR failed to deliver.

As far as boxoffice is concerned, I am still not sure it will do well. It has to make bulk of its money overseas. France has to deliver big time.

Don't count on it! :sadben:

18 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Holy shit...the aliens and stuff look amaze balls...the acting looks iffy...but i have a feeling this will be a very fun popcorn sci-fi action adventure fantasy movie.

Something that IDR failed to deliver.

As far as boxoffice is concerned, I am still not sure it will do well. It has to make bulk of its money overseas. France has to deliver big time.

They casted Kris Wu, trying to corner the Chinese market because he is a very popular young Chinese actor/singer, I think Lucy was received fairly well in China, Leon is among some of the most beloved films from the west in China. So I have some level of confident in Valerian's performance there (though not too much, Chinese market is really unpredictable these days). I'm looking forward to follow the box office run of Valerian worldwide. Domestically? I don't think it's going to do well at all, maybe I'll be surprised.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Don't count on it! :sadben:

If I remember correctly, Lucy did very well in France. Not sure about what French market is like now (kind of sad about the low Dory box office:(), but I'd image that this is something you guys may have a large turnout for right? Being French comic , French director and all that...

2 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Then Valerian has no chance of succeeding anywhere. This seems the type of film that will find an audience on dvd and establish a cult following. Japan and China or both will have to deliver. 

Well, I hope it can succeed, I'm really grateful to see France trying to do blockbusters. It's really ambitious when you're in a country that is way too small to make it profitable, it's a daring, courageous, risky gamble.

3 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

If this was star wars or marvel then everyone would be going ape shit. 

I don't understand the low energy toward this trailer

:lol: I am complete the opposite, Star Wars never had the ability to make me go "ape shit", but something like this just might!:lol:

12 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

If I remember correctly, Lucy did very well in France. Not sure about what French market is like now (kind of sad about the low Dory box office:(), but I'd image that this is something you guys may have a large turnout for right? Being French comic , French director and all that...

Valerian is full sci-fi, and this genre is not popular here unless it's Star Wars so don't expect it to compete with Lucy's $43m, and even that number wouldn't be enough to offset weak grosses elsewhere. As for the French market it's really disappointing this year, so weak o_o

Edited by Fullbuster

6 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Valerian is full sci-fi, and this genre is not popular here unless it's Star Wars so don't expect it to compete with Lucy's $43m, and even that number wouldn't be enough to offset weak grosses elsewhere. As for the French market it's really disappointing this year, so weak o_o

Well, I hope it does reasonably well anyway, and maybe a surprise from China and domestic market, I really don't want to see low box office discourage this kind of productions, this, the dark tower, the great wall, and Dunkirk are some of the very few blockbuster non-sequel/reboot films releasing next year that I can think of.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

Well, I hope it does reasonably well anyway, and maybe a surprise from China and domestic market, I really don't want to see low box office discourage this kind of productions, this, the dark tower, the great wall, and Dunkirk are some of the very few blockbuster non-sequel/reboot films releasing next year that I can think of.

If they haven't already been discouraged I don't think they ever will be. There will always be the next director with big ambitions fresh off a franchise or mid-budget hit.

Edited by tribefan695

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

I agree, I also want it to be successful :)

7 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

If they haven't already been discouraged I don't think they ever will be. There will always be the next director with big ambitions fresh off a franchise or mid-budget hit.

Well in that case, I'm eagerly awaiting for the next Star Wars, ET, Avatar, Jurassic Park, The Matrix to come any minute now ;)

Edited by NCsoft