Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

22 minutes ago, Captain H said:

My bias for Valerian is obviously there, but honestly, a space epic that doesn't start with "Star" or made by some big name auteurs (Cameron, Nolan, blah blah blah) getting some love wouldn't hurt anyone or anything really.

If you don't like seeing other people liking and rooting for something that you don't because you think nothing that doesn't appeals to you should be made or be liked then I don't think the problem is the movie.

No, it's acting like they never get made that is obnoxious with a lot of convenient exceptions, omissions and addendums to fit the narrative that pandering male scifi fantasy has always been underserved and an ever-going scarcity in Hollywood. (The irony is projecting on me that they don't make enough movies like this appealing to you specifically). The reality is they did try hard but nothing really catch on. Ask yourself why.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dashrendar44 said:

Am I? When some posters here (at least one guy uh uh) are literally begging people to see this like the fate of original scifi hangs on this movie's prospects lamenting at Hollywood, i don't think I am the overdramatic one.

The fate of original sci-fi does not hang on this movie's prospects; its just nice to see these kinds of films succeed on some level, that's all. That's what it is for me, at least. I like diversity of film and diversity of producers of those films. I like seeing different and interesting movies. Etc. It doesn't mean I don't still enjoy the usual suspects - I saw Guardians and Wonder Woman this summer and loved them both. So, it's really quite simple for me. :)  

Peace,

Mike

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Mr Impossible said:

What is the budget on this? It was first reported as $209M then 197 million euros which means around $225M, now I'm looking at BOM and Wikipedia as $180M. 

197 million Euro is the gross budget, we will probably never know the net budget but it will get 30m Euro in tax credit from france, pushing it in a worst case scenario around 184m US net (depending on the exchange rate used). Except if they need to sales their tax credit at a price, not sure how it work in France.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

And don't tell me that's why Valerian has to succeed because there's no way Besson will try to get those made

Specially since Villeneuve will probably make Dune if Blade Runner (the other giant independant sci-fi) is a success.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dashrendar44 said:

But then forgets that an original scifi movie sits at the top of WW BO since 2010. Did that change anything?

Yes, we got 3D on all the things.

That's what the success of Valerian, if it has any, will bring. It won't be more big budget independent films, sci-fi epics, or whatever. It'll be miscast leads, because that, or something equally shallow, will be the takeaway. Just like 3D was why Avatar was succesful or a Cinematic Universe was why Avengers was successful or old pop songs was why Guardians was successful.

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Blankments said:

so glad Luc Besson gets a space opera to make unlike a certain other two directors :(

Um, I'm pretty sure The Russo brothers are getting to direct their own space opera, Infinity War.

So, no clue what you're talking about 🙃

Edited by UNDERDOG
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, UNDERDOG said:

Um, I'm pretty sure The Russo brothers are getting to direct their own space opera, Infinity War.

So, no clue what you're talking about 🙃

Think he's talking about Lord/Miller getting the boot from the Solo movie.