Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

• Community Manager
Just now, grim22 said:

It didn't make its budget in WW gross and only made 3M domestic. I think that matches what a bomb is.

Budget: $43 million

WW Gross: $46 million

As for DOM BO, it wasn't an American movie?

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't think A Monster Calls was a big bomb at all? Just because it wasn't a blockbuster doesn't mean it failed.

Calling it a failure might be much but it certainly wasn't close to a hit. It found virtually no audience in this country.

Domestic:  $3,740,823    8.1%
Foreign:  $42,688,173    91.9%

Worldwide:  $46,428,996

• Community Manager
15 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Also, what's the point of watching a bomb?

People who really love film will watch a movie even if it's a bomb in the BO. The point is to experience the movie.

• Like 9

• Community Manager
Just now, filmlover said:

Calling it a failure might be much but it certainly wasn't close to a hit. It found virtually no audience in this country.

Domestic:  $3,740,823    8.1%
Foreign:  $42,688,173    91.9%

Worldwide:  $46,428,996

Not enough for it it be a bomb.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

46M WW on 43M budget (not including any P&A) is still a bomb. Definitely lost 40M or so for the studio.

So even when a movie still makes more money WW than it's budget, it's still called a bomb? What kind of metric of success is that? As for P&A, I mean, if we're going by a movie not matching it's P&A and production budget a bomb, I guess almost every movie is a giant bomb then.

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

So even when a movie still makes more money WW than it's budget, it's still called a bomb? What kind of metric of success is that? As for P&A, I mean, if we're going by a movie not matching it's P&A and production budget a bomb, I guess almost every movie is a giant bomb then.

A movie needs to  make at least double its budget to break even. theatres keep a portion too...usually half

2 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

You know as well as everyone else here that a movie surpassing its budget is not a success. Barely surpassing it is still a bomb. Needs to do double the budget for any kind of profit.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

A monster calls didn't release in any of the multiplexes I go to. Maybe not even in the country.

So yeah...didn't watch it. Many great films but bombs don't release here.

Also, what's the point of watching a bomb? Word gets out really fast in my country and theaters are empty for a bomb. I once watched a movie alone in the theater. It wasn't fun. 

So you missed out on great movies like Silence, Scott Pilgrim (Tele I swear to god), Dredd, etc. just because they didn't do well?

Some of the greatest films of all time were bombs, for Christ's sake.

Edited by That One Guy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I don't think A Monster Calls was a big bomb at all? Just because it wasn't a blockbuster doesn't mean it failed.

A new Bayona movie will come with big expectation commercially (and should be number one of the year in some market), is previous 2 movie were 2 really profitable movie

The Impossible in 2012 made 54 million in Spain alone (number 2 the last twillight at 31.2), The orphanage was also number one in 2007 with 37.7m (pirates at 31.4m)

Orphanage: 78.6 million box office on a 4 million budget, almost a 20x ratio

The Impossible: 180.6 million box office on a 40/45 million budget,  a 4x-4.5 ratio

A monster Call: 45.6 million box office on a 43 million budget, around 1x ratio

Not sure how relevant the domestic market are for those movie but in the US/Canada market 

Orphanage: 8.8m

Impossible: 21.15m

Monster calls: 3.7

For what they seem from the trailer has is most accessible movie for the dom market the one that could have went big with an 50m or so performance, with Jones/Neeson/Weaver, the big CGI, etc...

It was still number one in spain but just 28 million in is local dom market a good drop from is last entry, above 2 animated movie that were a bit above 20m.

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Alli said:

A movie needs to  make at least double its budget to break even. theatres keep a portion too...usually half

I'm not arguing its profitable or a success. But the idea that it's a bomb.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

You know as well as everyone else here that a movie surpassing its budget is not a success. Barely surpassing it is still a bomb. Needs to do double the budget for any kind of profit.

You have an extremely loose definition of bomb then. A not very realistic or good definition.

I could see the argument that it's a flop. But a bomb? Hah! The word must mean nothing now.

10 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Maybe you are right (it depend on the home/tv spain market a lot) that bomb is a strong word (and subjective), but it felt a lot from the previous 2 entry and for a world release usually you can still bomb making your budget, Tomorroland is vastly and probably rightly perceived as a bomb and it did 210m at the box office. Green Lantern made 220m, etc....

None of those above are Mars need moms, Adventure of pluto nash, The alamo, Heaven's gate, Monster Truck, etc... level of bombing but still in arguably bomb territory.

Looking at a list of bomb, I feel you could be right thought, mane movie with budget close or above 100m didn't made 40m a the box office (some not even 10m), we just completely forget those and have a distortionned views of bombs like Clooney once said about the press talking of After Earth has a big bomb.

Edited by Barnack

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Barnack said:

Maybe you are right (it depend on the home/tv spain market a lot) that bomb is a strong word, but it felt a lot from the previous 2 entry and for a world release usually you can still bomb making your budget, Tomorroland is vastly and probably rightly perceived as a bomb and it did 210m at the box office. Green Lantern made 220m, etc....

Tomorrowland and Green Lantern are both flops in my book.

A domestic bomb is a movie like John Carter. To me, a bomb isn't a failure. It isn't a movie that fails to make a profit. It's a movie that fails spectacuarly. The word actually means something.

I don't see that with A Monster Calls. It did okay numbers in it's domestic market (Spain I think) and WW it had a weak showing. 

38 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Also, what's the point of watching a bomb? Word gets out really fast in my country and theaters are empty for a bomb. I once watched a movie alone in the theater. It wasn't fun. 

I've seen plenty of bombs.  Ok, true most I see when they are on HBO or whatever cable station :P  But still,  usually watch them at some point to see what they really are or if they are as bad as they say.  It's why I have seen way too many movies in my lifetime already ;) 

19 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Tomorrowland and Green Lantern are both flops in my book.

A domestic bomb is a movie like John Carter. To me, a bomb isn't a failure. It isn't a movie that fails to make a profit. It's a movie that fails spectacuarly. The word actually means something.

I don't see that with A Monster Calls. It did okay numbers in it's domestic market (Spain I think) and WW it had a weak showing. 

It is an english speaking movie with well established actors. Its box office might have been okay for a niche spanish language movie. It should have been an Oscar contender (IMHO) with a respectable gross, instead it got completely overlooked by the Academy as well as the audience. I believe calling it a bomb / flop is justified. I'm still weeping... :(

Edited by Elessar

34 minutes ago, Alli said:

I don't think that's the case...typically the first few weeks theater gets roughly between 20-25% of the ticket price (depending on the movies too).

The percentage goes up as it goes into the 4th-5th+ weekends, but it doesn't do the theater much good since the number of tickets sold has already gone down drastically.

9 minutes ago, Subzero said:

I don't think that's the case...typically the first few weeks theater gets roughly between 20-25% of the ticket price (depending on the movies too).

The percentage goes up as it goes into the 4th-5th+ weekends, but it doesn't do the theater much good since the number of tickets sold has already gone down drastically.

That sound like the old sliding scale system that was used until the mid 2000's or so, if you look at a theater chain annual report now they seem to kept close to 50% in a year average.

Apparently it is almost always flat now (the industry became too frontloaded and theater chain started to close, and started to refuse to let the first weekend money get away from them that much), giant studio title getting more around 53% to 55%, documentary getting closer to nothing, independent type fair around 30-40%.

From wikipedia on film distribution:

Distributors typically enter into one of the two types of film booking contracts. The most common is the aggregate deal where total box office revenue that a given film generates is split by a pre-determined mutually-agreed percentage between distributor and movie theater. The other method is the sliding scale deal, where the percentage of box office revenue taken by theaters declines each week of a given film's run.[2] The sliding scale actually has two pieces that starts with a minimum amount of money that theater is to keep—often called “the house nut”—after which the sliding scale kicks in for revenue generated above the house nut. However, this sliding scale method is falling out of use. Whatever the method, box office revenue is usually shared roughly 50/50 between film distributors and theaters.

We also have access to all the Sony released movie between 2006 and 2014 retention rate and one Harry Potter (that was around 55.5% I think), the Sony average between those year for all their release was 50%.

Going from 58% for the older blockbuster like spider-man 3/Davinci Code, to 55% for Amazing Spider Man 1, to 53% for more recent blockbuster like Amazing spider man 2 to below 40% for Rachel Getting Married,  and below 35% for Inside Jobs or An Education.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 2