Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 minute ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Are tickets on sale in your area?

Still waiting for convenient show times to pop up.  The AMC in question and the Cinemark do not have their complete schedules for Thursday up.  Everything should be good by mid Tuesday.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Sure, we'll drive for 39 hours to see Valerian in the worst PLF format there is :lol: 

Why is it the worst?

It is a realy big screen over 500 people can be in on that screen . it has a great sound system and it is in 4K

2 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

How is it tracking in France and/or Europe?

Is there any buzz, hype and anticipation?

It is tracking ok in France. Probably will be able to reach the top 10 of the year here (not in the Lucy level tho, something like 3m admissions and $25 millions seem possible... maybe a bit less I don't really know (Lucy did $43m without 3D).

In Europe I think it's gonna be the same as in the US. It's gonna bomb hard. The only chance of this movie is China. If it really does well there (like $100m) then maybe Europa Corp will be able to make a partnership with local studio if they want to continue to produce big film of this kind.. Or even everything with a budget bigger than $60m...

My current prediction is

US : $36 million (14m$ opening)

WW: $186 million

So Luc  Bessen and ScarJo both worked together on Lucy 3 yrs ago which was a huge hit domestic and overseas. Both will have released a sci fi flop this year. What the hell set Lucy apart from these 2 films? 

2 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

So Luc  Bessen and ScarJo both worked together on Lucy 3 yrs ago which was a huge hit domestic and overseas. Both will have released a sci fi flop this year. What the hell set Lucy apart from these 2 films? 

What is even more baffling is that Besson didn't cast ScarJo as Laureline to keep that Lucy momentum...

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, BastienGiot said:

It is tracking ok in France. Probably will be able to reach the top 10 of the year here (not in the Lucy level tho, something like 3m admissions and $25 millions seem possible... maybe a bit less I don't really know (Lucy did $43m without 3D).

In Europe I think it's gonna be the same as in the US. It's gonna bomb hard. The only chance of this movie is China. If it really does well there (like $100m) then maybe Europa Corp will be able to make a partnership with local studio if they want to continue to produce big film of this kind.. Or even everything with a budget bigger than $60m...

My current prediction is

US : $36 million (14m$ opening)

WW: $186 million

Yikes. I mean its a french comic book yet France isn't all that excited. Less hype than Lucy says it all. Europe will support Dunkirk. Bombs away.

I don't like associating myself with bombs so bye bye Valerian. Will catch you when you hit the interwebs.

I can say with guarantee that my club http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24334-valerian-under-dunkirk-apes-3-girls-trip-and-spiderman-homecoming-on-july-21st-club/ is going to be a smashing success.

So in the end I will have seen only Spider-man in theatres this july.

Nothing in August.

September - Kingsman 2

October - busy so none

November - thor 3

December - star wars 

Just now, marveldcfox said:

Yikes. I mean its a french comic book yet France isn't all that excited. Less hype than Lucy says it all. Europe will support Dunkirk. Bombs away.

I don't like associating myself with bombs so bye bye Valerian. Will catch you when you hit the interwebs.

I can say with guarantee that my club http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/24334-valerian-under-dunkirk-apes-3-girls-trip-and-spiderman-homecoming-on-july-21st-club/ is going to be a smashing success.

Nothing in August.

September - Kingsman 2

October - busy so none

November - thor 3

December - star wars 

Image result for why are you the way that you are gif

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Nothing in August.

September - Kingsman 2

October - busy so none

November - thor 3

December - star wars 

So unloyal, I swear.

4 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

What is even more baffling is that Besson didn't cast ScarJo as Laureline to keep that Lucy momentum...

For that he would have to recast Valerian. I mean Dehaan and Delevgine leading a 200+M budget movie...sigh. Most of his big movies had an A list actor so I don't get it. He focused way too much on the visuals, cgi and action than the leads. Biggest mistake ever. 

Someone like a James Franco would have been great. Hell Chris Pine, CHris Evans, Chris Hemsworth...anyone. The leads should have been actors who look mature. Not actors who look like teenagers. Dehaan is 31!!!!!!!!! FUCK. 

10 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Nothing in August.

September - Kingsman 2

October - busy so none

November - thor 3

December - star wars 

So you do not see movies that will not do well at the box office? You have missed out on a lot great movies.

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

This thread is depressing.  I might just stop going in it because it just makes me more pessimistic about this film

Don't give up hope, you never know. Everyone said my pick of the summer King Arthur would flop (low presales, no buzz) and then...

Well it is a bad example, I'm sure Valerian will do just fine.:sparta:

• Like 4