Neo

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets | July 21, 2017 | FLOP OF THE YEAR

1 hour ago, damienroc said:

Because it probably won't bomb in Europe, which is what matters in this case.

Not enough to be profitable. It needs to make atleast 450m to break even ,which is not happening without good US and China(might not even get a release there) BO. 

Just now, babz06 said:

Not enough to be profitable. It needs to make atleast 450m to break even ,which is not happening without good US and China(might not even get a release there) BO. 

I think it's a bit premature to say what's necessary for it to profit. The budget isn't set in stone, we don't know what sort of tax breaks might be at play, and we don't know what sort of tie-in revenue it'll get.

People on this board are getting really premature about declaring which films will bomb or not. Reducing the prospects of any film to just the US and/or China isn't useful.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

I saw Cara in a very small (triple) role in Pan - and I am already in love. :wub:

THIS WILL BE THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER!! It's time for Besson to redeem his French ass.

Wait, Cara is in this? Both her movies this year opened to sub-16M. This and Suicide Squad are doomed ;)

9 hours ago, Kalo said:

Why do studios keep greenlighting movies that are guaranteed to bomb? 

Sometimes you just gotta swing for the fences.

Fifth Element could be described similar to this (granted it had a bigger star)...that did solid business relative to budget.  Besson has played in this space and done well before.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kalo said:

Why do studios keep greenlighting movies that are guaranteed to bomb? 

Because this movie is not an american studio movie ?

It is Besson s project through & through, financed, produced, directed, written by him.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The Besson fanboys are living in another reality.

I am just stating facts, Besson is just a savvy business man, his ass is on the line on this project.

Pre sales are a double edged sword though, they protect you from total flop but if the movie breaks out in the countries where you sold the rights, well, you don't see much money then...

• Like 2

On 1/4/2016 at 1:22 PM, marveldcfox said:

I am really looking forward to the film, but man the leads have no star power whatsoever. Atleast Fifth Element had Bruce Willis. 

Luc is probably hoping his visuals, CGI and amazing costumes etc will be draw but things don't work like that nowadays.

Stuff like that can work if the movie is *good*.