Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

He is right that it has suffered a pretty big drop today. When I checked it this morning, it was 78% and now it's 72%. I figured it would stay above 75%.

That's the number. You told me there was a number that as long as the movie stays above it, it's still considered good. I couldn't remember if it was 70% or 75%. It doesn't mean that TASM won't go back above 75%, but it's something to monitor now.

That's the number. You told me there was a number that as long as the movie stays above it, it's still considered good. I couldn't remember if it was 70% or 75%. It doesn't mean that TASM won't go back above 75%, but it's something to monitor now.

I said anything above 75% and you get into extremely subjective territory. I'll argue till the end of time that the Prestige is a better film than The Dark Knight, yet it has 75% and TDK has 94%. But hell, even at 70% you can make the same argument regarding subjectivity. I view the Tomatometer primarily as a good guide for consumers to stay away from trash. A movie getting a 7/10 reception is not trash. A movie getting a 2/10 reception is trash. Uwe Boll comes to mind.

27-30+is the range.He said its around TF3 during the day and with tomorrow being off it could easily match during the evening.Based on local theaters its doing well and its quite accurate.. Really worked for THG and okay for TA.. For TA I would not believe the evidence and assumed that my local theaters were just above the norm for TA. For Saturday, it showed TA was around 15 % busier on Saturday then Friday lol....

Edited by Lordmandeep

As to what nerdy, but "average" people think, here's a string of comments from a computer tech forum I read regularly:

Will see it on demand/cable. Looks kinda emo.

Why should I see the same film I watched a few years ago...?

This. Too soon. They can't possibly make it more emo.

Saw it last night. It was pretty solid. I don't think it was necessarily good enough to justify it existing so soon after two solid Spider Man movies. But it was fun. Funny/cheesy/splosions. No Dark Knight, but good.

I care not for your Emo Man. I didn't care the first time, I didn't care the second time, I didn't care the third time, and I certainly didn't care the second first time, nor will I care the second second time or the third first time, just as I won't care the seventh fifth time.

The dude just doesn't look right. There was a reason why Peter Parker is a kind of weak/nerdy looking/acting guy. This new guy looks like a popular kid at school who is into basketball or something.

It's a pretty good movie, really. Looks like it isn't going to get a fair shake from many, because of how soon it get 'rebooted'.

I won't bother to see this one, and its really the same reason I stopped reading comics themselves: I don't want to see/read the same story again.

• Like 1

I think the biggest thing going against the film was that its Spider Man 1 Redux...Spidey 1 is one of the biggest and most well watched films of the last decade in NA... Everyone remembers the storyline and the film even 10 years latter.I was against the film but I thought if I watched all the other comic book films in theaters, I should check this one out right?

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

I said anything above 75% and you get into extremely subjective territory. I'll argue till the end of time that the Prestige is a better film than The Dark Knight, yet it has 75% and TDK has 94%. But hell, even at 70% you can make the same argument regarding subjectivity. I view the Tomatometer primarily as a good guide for consumers to stay away from trash. A movie getting a 7/10 reception is not trash. A movie getting a 2/10 reception is trash. Uwe Boll comes to mind.

I agree with the second part in that if 7 out of 10 people like something (or 8 rounding up from 75%) that can be considered liked by most and certainly not trash. Though the average review score/meta-critic ranking is also very important, etc.

I agree with the second part in that if 7 out of 10 people like something (or 8 rounding up from 75%) that can be considered liked by most and certainly not trash. Though the average review score/meta-critic ranking is also very important, etc.

I was referring to the average rating as well. Spidey is getting a 6.8/10 on RT and 67/100 on MetaCritic. Those are both very solid ratings. Avengers had a 69 on MetaCritic and Batman Begins had a 70 on MetaCritic.
  • Like 1

7.5M is moderate. 200M will happen but probably not 300M.Guess in the end, neither the haters nor the loonies win. Both lose.

Yes, that is looking likely. :):(;)

As to what nerdy, but "average" people think, here's a string of comments from a computer tech forum I read regularly:

Whoa, that is some bad WOM. Some of the reactions are similar to mine, but I'm not the general audience. If most people end up feeling like that, then this movie won't catch on.

I noticed a few things that were in the trailers/clips but not in the movie.

doorman clip was not in it and neither was "how'd you like to play football?""Its too dangerous"There was 1 more thing I'm forgetting..

The more I think about the movie, the more I liked it. I think this will have pretty good WOM.

Whoa, that is some bad WOM. Some of the reactions are similar to mine, but I'm not the general audience. If most people end up feeling like that, then this movie won't catch on.

There are some positive comments. The thread has since digressed into a discussion about details of Marvel's various Spidey depictions, alongside a separate discussion about how sucky SM3 was. :P

Spider Man 3 likley goes down as having the worst WOM for a mega blockbuster.TF2 did not get terrible WOM as people did not expect much.However people loved Spidey 2 and expected the same and got way less.

I thnk 7.5 million is a solid opening and for the first 24 hours, at least, TASM is behaving similar to other recent July 04 blockbusters. This is not a frontloaded weekend and movies tend to make money over the entirety of the week.

• Like 2

7.5M is moderate. 200M will happen but probably not 300M.Guess in the end, neither the haters nor the loonies win. Both lose.

Pretty sure the ones who predicted sub 200m lose this battle. I predicted 275m so... I think we can call that a win.
  • Like 1