Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

6.8 is not "solid"

Whoops, I mean 6.7

Yes, it is. That's a 7/10 movie, which is very solid. I don't hand out 9's and 10's like candy at Halloween, so to me a 7/10 rating is solid. Film critics in general are pretty strict in handing out extremely high ratings as well. Even Peter Travers, known as a quote whore, only gives a 4/4 star rating a few times each year. If I'm not mistaken, he only gave it two times last year.

I 100 percent agree with you. That is what I care about in film.

What's funny is that I don't need or expect some deeply meaningful masterpiece with an action film. But I don't think solid character development and a well-constructed story is too much to ask for. But these days scripts aren't developed carefully enough and movies are designed basically to be VFX showcase reels for an ADHD population.

Nah, mosf of us are just easily impressed by explosions and fighting.

:P A movie with a plot and all the other good stuff is just a bonus. We just like to see things go BOOM. :lol:

That is the way I feel about some action movies. I have seen so many shitty action movies because the cover featured someone dual wielding pistols! Action movies are my biggest weakness in that regard. But when a great action movie with plot and characters comes around, it just makes it that much better.I'll still watch shitty ones though!

Yes, it is. That's a 7/10 movie, which is very solid. I don't hand out 9's and 10's like candy at Halloween, so to me a 7/10 rating is solid. Film critics in general are pretty strict in handing out extremely high ratings as well. Even Peter Travers, known as a quote whore, only gives a 4/4 star rating a few times each year. If I'm not mistaken, he only gave it two times last year.

So uh is Spider Man 3 "solid" because it got a 6.2.

So uh is Spider Man 3 "solid" because it got a 6.2.

I've said over and over that critics were too lenient on SM3. That much is obvious based on its horrible WOM with audiences and shitty DVD sales. The critics got it wrong with that movie, and a lot of it was because of goodwill from the first two movies. They gave it a pass when they shouldn't have.

Nah, mosf of us are just easily impressed by explosions and fighting.

:P A movie with a plot and all the other good stuff is just a bonus. We just like to see things go BOOM. :lol:

With certain movies, I actually don't need a lot of plot. I consider superhero movies a sub-genre of action movies, and I don't really need much in the way of plot. I want an action hero I can root for, a lot of explosions, and some good fighting scenes without the hard-to-see what is happening camera work.For drama I look for something else. For horror, I look for something else. For me, it all depends what kind of genre I am in the mood for and how believable I find the actors.But I can't stand reboots and remakes. I don't want a different version of the same story because I only need one that I am satisfied with. Then, I want a new story. The plot can be similar, but i want the story to continue, not revert.

Edited by Walt Disney

What's funny is that I don't need or expect some deeply meaningful masterpiece with an action film. But I don't think solid character development and a well-constructed story is too much to ask for. But these days scripts aren't developed carefully enough and movies are designed basically to be VFX showcase reels for an ADHD population.

Which is why:

The Raid is so fucking good. It takes a simple story and just runs with it. The worst thing about it, is that I had this idea about 5 years ago! It wasn't as simple as this, there was a lot of set-up to get it to that building at the end, so I saw that movie and was just blown away at it's simple elegance of the story.