Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

I thought Avengers and Transformers 2 already blew that one out of the water? Spidey is just more proof of it.

yeah, but remember, tons of people were keep going on and on about how weak the films presales were and how this was proof this film was going to underperform

does the inevitable success of this movie the ultimate proof that presales mean jack shit?

Slow down there cowboy. This is a decent start for Spidey to be sure, but 35M for a popular superhero 3D film on a Tuesday really isn't all that impressive, even for a film with low hype such as this. This is arguably Marvel's MOST popular superhero we're talking about, so the number isn't that great. We'll see how it does over the next week or twoThe Avengers was 100% proof that low pre-sales don't mean much, but this ... it had low pre-sales, and it managed only a decent opening day.

Slow down there cowboy. This is a decent start for Spidey to be sure, but 35M for a popular superhero 3D film on a Tuesday really isn't all that impressive, even for a film with low hype such as this. This is arguably Marvel's MOST popular superhero we're talking about, so the number isn't that great. We'll see how it does over the next week or twoThe Avengers was 100% proof that low pre-sales don't mean much, but this ... it had low pre-sales, and it managed only a decent opening day.

But honestly pre-sales were beyond shit, hello, 12 tickets at Rallax's theatre up until like 3 days before release.

enough spin. The opening day is fine for a Tuesday opening, and the fact that this is a reboot following a disliked film. The simple fact is this movie has a chance at 300M domestic despite the bad presales and the fact many were using the low presales as proof the film would not do well. I wonder if anyone can use the presale argument again
  • Like 1

But honestly pre-sales were beyond shit, hello, 12 tickets at Rallax's theatre up until like 3 days before release.

And this is a 3D film, hello. If it was in 2D, then the OD would be well under 30M. We haven't seen the 2D/3D share yet for OD or OW, but I bet it will be quite high.Like I said, decent start. It does support the idea that low pre-sales don't mean much for big movies, but The Avengers was much stronger proof of this than TASM is.

enough spin. The opening day is fine for a Tuesday opening, and the fact that this is a reboot following a disliked film. The simple fact is this movie has a chance at 300M domestic despite the bad presales and the fact many were using the low presales as proof the film would not do well. I wonder if anyone can use the presale argument again

Likewise, enough spin from you that this is an amazing start. A reboot of Marvel's MOST POPULAR character, following a disliked film, aided immensely by 3D and IMAX premiums and opening on a summer weekday.I personally have no interest in TASM, and think this reboot is useless, but my final prediction was that this would still finish with over 300M domestic and a big number overseas. Previous film being hated or not, this is Spiderman, and a Spiderman film will always do decent numbers, at the very worst. Edited by ACCA

Likewise, enough spin from you that this is an amazing start. A reboot of Marvel's MOST POPULAR character, following a disliked film, aided immensely by 3D and IMAX premiums and opening on a summer weekday.I personally have no interest in TASM, but my final prediction was that this would still finish with over 300M domestic and a big number overseas. Previous film being hated or not, this is Spiderman, and a Spiderman film will always do decent numbers, at the very worst.

I never said it was an amazing start I said it was a good start. The fact is, this movie had a lot of negative buzz. Don't pretend everyone was expecting it to match the other Spider-Man films beforehand

I never said it was an amazing start I said it was a good start. The fact is, this movie had a lot of negative buzz. Don't pretend everyone was expecting it to match the other Spider-Man films beforehand

Fair enough. Match it in quality, or do you mean box office? I don't expect this to come anywhere close to SM1 or SM2's totals, and it will have trouble reaching even close to SM3 domestically, despite having 3D, and inflation helping it along. The Dark Knight Rises will seriously affect its legs as well.In terms of quality, TASM looks atrocious to me. From all the clips I've seen, the dialogue is quite poor and I personally find Garfield to be an extremely grating actor. But hey, I never underestimate mass audiences anymore. The general audience constantly surprises in terms of both coming out in huge numbers for a good film, as well as coming out in huge numbers for some pretty crappy films. Edited by ACCA
  • Like 1

Fair enough. Match it in quality, or do you mean box office? I don't expect this to come anywhere close to SM1 or SM2's totals, and it will have trouble reaching even close to SM3 domestically, despite having 3D, and inflation helping it along. The Dark Knight Rises will seriously affect its legs as well.In terms of quality, TASM looks atrocious to me. From all the clips I've seen, the dialogue is quite poor and I personally find Garfield to be an extremely grating actor. But hey, I never underestimate mass audiences anymore. The general audience constantly surprises in terms of both coming out in huge numbers for a good film, as well as coming out in huge numbers for some pretty crappy films.

I think I'll take the word of the tens of thousands of RottenTomato users over someone who hasn't seen it.84% of them thought the movie was good to great. And after seeing it myself I can see why. It's a great flick.

I think I'll take the word of the tens of thousands of RottenTomato users over someone who hasn't seen it.84% of them thought the movie was good to great. And after seeing it myself I can see why. It's a great flick.

Like I said, I never underestimate the general audience these days anymore. So the general audience likes it, fine. I don't like the dialogue in the clips, I don't like the main actor, I don't like the way they did the visual effects, nor do I like that they rehashed much of SM1's story, and that this in itself is a reboot.That's just my opinion, nothing more.