Shawn Robbins

The Official TASM Weekly Thread (6 Day EST-140m) (Warning: Whiten Out Spoilers/Spoiler Tags)

This is impossible. Even if it's flat everyday from Thursday through Sunday it gets close to 50.

Less than 50m is probably impossible but it could still pull only around $50m if it only has around a 10% Friday increase:Friday: 17.2m (+9%)Saturday: 18m(+5%)Sunday: 14.8m (-17%)$50m

How many movies just stop making moneyAll together because of another movie?

Your verbiage isn't right.It's not that an out and out stop occurs. It's that it slows to a crawl or worse a trickle. The mega Spidey crowd for this reboot will have soaked up their initial and likely repeat viewings(assuming they weren't disappointed by initial viewing). If the casual movie fan waits and suddenly the next hot thing is out, in this case TDKR, then they forget about going back to TASM altogether.

How many movies just stop making moneyAll together because of another movie?

They don't stop making money, of course.However, the amount they could make is significantly hampered when movies of similar genres appear early into their run.Take Hellboy 2 for example; debuted with 36M, dropped to 10M second weekend when TDK came out despite strong reviews.Had TDK not come out at that time, H2 probably could have pulled a 15M to 20M 2nd weekend.

Actually TF3 was less frontloaded than SM2 during the first week of its run yet ended up with 20m less total. It wasn't until their 3rd week that SM2 started holding better(Look at the weeklies). Not saying TASM will suddenly sprout legs, I'm just saying this isn't that much of surprise. I always had TASM being much more frontloaded than TF1(or TF3, which had an anomalous run).

I guess. I remember a debate I had, not with you but with someone else in the over TF 178M thread, I thought that it would behoove TASM to have more modest consistent days instead one big one and huge drops. I didn't think it would actually play out that way because of weak presales but it is funny how things turn out.

I just copied a post from another poster. I thought it was the right thing to do. You know I learn from good people here. Was I mistaken?

Not just directed at you. And he was copying another poster as well. I don't want this to become a regular thing. Most will laugh, but there will be some that will overreact...and you both are experienced enough posters to know that.

How many of you have seen this?

Saw it Tuesday morningThought it was just as good as Spidey1Not as good as Spidey2Much better than Spidey3I figure it will do well enough DOM and certainly OS for them to make the sequels; which I'd like to see.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with the story line about his parents.

Saw it Tuesday morningThought it was just as good as Spidey1Not as good as Spidey2Much better than Spidey3I figure it will do well enough DOM and certainly OS for them to make the sequels; which I'd like to see.

You should add spoiler tags to that last line. Edited by Walt Disney

Less than 50m is probably impossible but it could still pull only around $50m if it only has around a 10% Friday increase:

Friday: 17.2m (+9%)

Saturday: 18m(+5%)

Sunday: 14.8m (-17%)

$50m

There is no historical precedent for that type of performance. WOM would have to be toxic. And it's clearly not.

There is no historical precedent for that type of performance. WOM would have to be toxic. And it's clearly not.

The only historical precedent we have is TF1, and that was an original film with stellar WOM. It's plausible to assume TASM will perform worse.

I want a sequel. Because after freaking FOUR films, CARNAGE hasn't even been referenced. Damn it.

The only historical precedent we have is TF1, and that was an original film with stellar WOM. It's plausible to assume TASM will perform worse.

Possible? Sure, anything is possible. Probable? No.