Shawn Robbins

NIKKI-ISMS | Nikki signs first look deal with HBO | Nikki and Penske make up, she will return to reporting on the entertainment industry

I admire Nikk Finke the businesswoman. She single-handedly took on the trades and won. Even if she gets fired from DL, I don't think she will go away meekly into obscurity. Penske is a guy with a lot of money but Nikki build Deadline so she can build another one.

Latimes weighs in:

Deadline Hollywood editor Nikki Finke's next big story may be her own exit

The tension between Finke and Penske now appears to be boiling over and the two may part after only four years. Finke has a window in her contract opening this week that allows her to leave Penske Media, and she is giving serious thought to exercising it, said people familiar with the situation who declined to speak publicly because of the sensitive nature of the subject.
Edited by firedeep

Nikki Finke and Sharon Waxman Hold Firm in New York Times Piece

http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/nikki-finkie-sharon-waxman-david-carr-new-york-times.html

Last week, Hollywood and the Internet were abuzz about a post the Wrap's Sharon Waxman wrote proclaiming that Nikki Finke was fired from Deadline Hollywood, the site she founded and ran. Finke responded by writing a postrefuting the story and tossing out some zingers ("It’s yet one more reason I call her website The Crap"). Well, today the New York Times' David Carr followed up on the story and not surprisingly both women are holding firm. Finke, after "chewing [Carr] out for 15 minutes over a four-year-old story she didn’t like," commented, "I still work here and beyond that, I am not going to dignify Sharon Waxman’s story."

She added that Waxman is jealous of how much money she makes and "has a terrible reputation for accuracy in Hollywood." Waxman, however, is sticking to her guns: "I absolutely stand behind the story, and if facts change I will report them as they occur.” She told Carr that she hasn't been able to get a "direct answer" from Finke or her boss about the situation. Not sure what her definition of "direct" is, but maybe she should just read this article she is quoted in.

• Like 2

I admire Nikk Finke the businesswoman. She single-handedly took on the trades and won. Even if she gets fired from DL, I don't think she will go away meekly into obscurity. Penske is a guy with a lot of money but Nikki build Deadline so she can build another one.

I am going to post on this site like RTH does.

The New York Times article about the Finke-Waxman dustup is a good read. 

The spectacle has been a delicious one for the peanut gallery in the Hollywood Hills, in part because it keeps the involved parties preoccupied and less prone to mischief elsewhere.

“I think that people are grateful for anything that takes the attention off the rest of us,” said one Hollywood executive who deals with both editors on a regular basis and hence would not speak on the record criticizing either one. “But regardless of what happens, I don’t think anyone believes that Nikki is going away.”

The story’s prominence — it ran on the front page of The Los Angeles Times — is a testament to her hold on the imagination of the industry she covers. A spectral figure rarely seen in public, she makes up for it on the phone and in print. Ms. Finke sees herself as a Jeremiah, a scold and a truth-teller in a business that trades in illusion and lies.

And while people in the film and television business complain bitterly about her tactics, most of them play ball. As someone who used to cover the Oscar season, I watched again and again as people used her site as the seedy park on the outskirts of town where they sneaked up on others and stabbed them from behind.

Absent that venal ecosystem, Ms. Finke would be just one more rage-aholic with a modem. But she prospers by exploiting a narcissistic industry that lives on fear and self-preservation. Even given her excesses and mania, Ms. Finke has never pretended to be something she is not, which is more than I can say for the industry heavyweights who complain about her even as they provide her sustenance.

If it is true that people get the government they deserve, then many industries get the media coverage they merit as well. Regardless of her base of operations, Hollywood deserves Nikki Finke.

(When axed staffer Anne Thompson wrote something nasty about me on her blog, still carried by Variety, I blurted out, ”Anne, the same place that fired you is trying to buy me.” Thompson immediately spilled the news to members of the Variety newsroom.)

Meow! :rofl:

Clearly, I’m fair game — even though I’m one person up against entire news organizations. Then again, this month, Deadline Hollywood Daily celebrates its 3rd anniversary and 50 million unique users. I’m still amazed that anyone reads me, much less cares what I write. Sure, I take shots regularly at Variety (as part of my ongoing “Your (Un)Trustworthy Trades” campaign) but only infrequently at Peter Bart (my unfortunate term for him was “Hollywood’s buttboy”). I’ve heard from staffers at The Hollywood Reporter that editor Elizabeth Guider won’t even let my name be used in print because I wrote that she was a lousy choice to lead that trade. And in the past week Patrick Goldstein has slammed me four times in the Los Angeles Times by mischaracterizing what I’ve written and even misquoting studio execs about me. (Summit Entertainment’s Erik Feig insisted Goldstein run a clarification.) There’s even a rumor around the newspaper that Goldstein has been asked to create controversy so as to generate more comments on his blog (he gets almost none), so that’s why he’s targeting me. The Wrap’s Sharon Waxman has been online just a short while but already she’s written open letters to me and articles about me.

Oh the false modesty. I love this bitch. :wub:

Edited by aDIM
  • Like 1