A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

The games are hard R. There is tons of bloody violence. 

So people are basically being really superficial about it because you can get away with quite a bit of it in a PG-13 film. It's like some of the fans complaining that Lionsgate didn't do Hunger Games with R ratings.

From what I know of the games, it's the mythology that's the big deal (to me anyway), and that doesn't need or have to be R.

While yes, the whole thing about 'please fans first -> positive WOM to outsiders -> outsiders see the film' is a fair point, what if Kurzel actually delivers? And FOX pushes a lot of 'from the acclaimed director of MACBETH'? They don't have to reply wholly on the game fan base, that's just being complacent.

I don't care about it being R, but this isn't good news. The Internet backlash is gonna be huge. Also, I doubt FOX mentions Macbeth in the marketing materials :P 

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I don't care about it being R, but this isn't good news. The Internet backlash is gonna be huge. Also, I doubt FOX mentions Macbeth in the marketing materials :P 

Which, if, you know, Kurzel delivers, will prove that the game fanbase online are a bunch of superficial twats :rofl:

Also - really? You get your entire creative team from that film + Fassy/Marion and NOT talk about Macbeth in the marketing? Sure it wasn't a blockbuster but it'd absolutely add credibility.

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1

Just now, antovolk said:

Which, if, you know, Kurzel delivers, will prove that the game fanbase online are a bunch of superficial twats :rofl:

We need more than a great movie, tho. We need a hit. This year will make it or break it when it comes to having more game adaptations in the future.

Just now, CJohn said:

We need more than a great movie, tho. We need a hit. This year will make it or break it when it comes to having more game adaptations in the future.

Which can be achieved if FOX market this well regardless of any BS from the fanbase - or do you think them doing Deadpool-style complaining actually will affect it?

33 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I think they are trying to make money. This was never gonna be anything other than PG-13. You can still get away with a lot of violence and still make that rating too. Just won't be GoT-esque.

You can get away w/violence, but it's still not the same. It still feels tamed down. Remember why nobody wanted Deadpool to get anything but an R-rating? Yeah, this is not quite THAT extreme, but it's close enough. Money is exactly why I called them "a$$holes". And it's funny, because Fox was the company that just reminded everyone that w/a good marketing campaign and a solidly (if not exactly BIG) known property, they can blow up the BO even w/an R-rating. It didn't matter if the movie would have to get an R to actually be properly faithful to the games, if they sold it well, it would've done good. Now, it'll probably still do good, but the movie will suffer for it. Not quite the win-win situation, there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, antovolk said:

Which can be achieved if FOX market this well regardless of any BS from the fanbase - or do you think them doing Deadpool-style complaining actually will affect it?

Idk, Deadpool worked pretty well with the  'please fans first -> positive WOM to outsiders -> outsiders see the film' thing.

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Idk, Deadpool worked pretty well with the  'please fans first -> positive WOM to outsiders -> outsiders see the film' thing.

But it doesn't mean it's the only way though. Especially if the movie itself is great regardless.

And I was asking if you think any backlash from the game fans will realistically affect it?

Edited by antovolk

3 minutes ago, antovolk said:

But it doesn't mean it's the only way though. Especially if the movie itself is great regardless.

And I was asking if you think any backlash from the game fans will realistically affect it?

I think it will, yes. 

What the hell? AC is not known for its gore, so why would people get angry about a PG-13 rating? Yes, it has violence but one can do quite a lot of violence as long as one doesn't show too much blood or pointy objects protruding from bodies. PG-13 is fine. I am the fanbase. Internet backlash is not gonna be huge.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

I have only played 1 and 2 as well :ph34r:

They're not hard R. It's easy to do minimally bloody swordfighting. It's one of the few things the Pirates franchise did consistently well.

And as long as there's no gratuitous blood spurts or blades shoved through a body and poking out, you can do plenty of assassinating with a PG-13.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

They're not hard R. It's easy to do minimally bloody swordfighting. It's one of the few things the Pirates franchise did consistently well.

And as long as there's no gratuitous blood spurts or blades shoved through a body and poking out, you can do plenty of assassinating with a PG-13.

I was genuinely trying to figure out when this series went "hard r". It has PG13 sensibilities when it comes to sex, the violence is pretty much the standard PG13 action we all know witch some blood mixed in (and even then I don't think would be enough to warrant an R Rating). I don't even think the games have that much swearing in them either.

Edited by AJG

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

What the hell? AC is not known for its gore, so why would people get angry about a PG-13 rating? Yes, it has violence but one can do quite a lot of violence as long as one doesn't show too much blood or pointy objects protruding from bodies. PG-13 is fine. I am the fanbase. Internet backlash is not gonna be huge.

ASSASSINS CREED HAS A FANBASE!?!?!??!?? I always just assumed it was the game people got on Christmas from relatives that know you like video games but aren't sure which game to get.

12 minutes ago, AJG said:

ASSASSINS CREED HAS A FANBASE!?!?!??!?? I always just assumed it was the game people got on Christmas from relatives that know you like video games but aren't sure which game to get.

I have a friend that spends 120€ on the special edition every year. Plus the games are massive sellers.