A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

52 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

How am I different? My "bias" doesn't work against the movie, condemning it from the get go. The last trailer is quite strong, the cinematography looks fantastic, I think everyone can agree on that, the action looks very well put together, production design, visuals, etc, all looks good. If it falters, it'll be on the script side, and story is just everything, film could still end up solid enough, but a bit undercooked, that happens. 

Literally none of those things about the movie were good.

1 minute ago, Elessar said:

I'd say judge for yourself. It's frightening how fast opinions get formed these days based on a couple stranger's views...

People are free to judge for themselves.  For some people, what this movie offers might be well and good enough for them.  All the power to them.  But is this movie going to land with audiences?  Will it be a hit?  Will it get a sequel?  I'm predicting no on all fronts.  

In terms of box office discussion, I'm thinking bomb here.  I think it probably makes even less than Warcraft domestically.  Warcraft did end up making $386 million overseas.  So overseas box office might help the film a little bit.  We shall see.

19 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

People are free to judge for themselves.  For some people, what this movie offers might be well and good enough for them.  All the power to them.  But is this movie going to land with audiences?  Will it be a hit?  Will it get a sequel?  I'm predicting no on all fronts.  

In terms of box office discussion, I'm thinking bomb here.  I think it probably makes even less than Warcraft domestically.  Warcraft did end up making $386 million overseas.  So overseas box office might help the film a little bit.  We shall see.

If it actually does 20m for the 5-day like tracking projects, then a 3x multiple brings it to 60m.  

Sub-20m for the 5-day and its in trouble of doing less than Warcraft.

Edited by babz06

this is disappointing. We have a fantastic cast, a director that seems talented, great production values, producers that have produced many well received and even classic movies. All the ingredients needed to make a good movie. Why couldn't they take the time to get the script and story right? They could have even delayed it. 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Marston said:

this is disappointing. We have a fantastic cast, a director that seems talented, producers that have produced many well received and even classic movies. All the ingredients needed to make a good movie. Why couldn't they take the time to get the script and story right? They could have even delayed it. 

*FROM THE WRITERS BEHIND ACCEPTED, MILES TELLER PLAYING HIMSELF, THAT TRANSPORTER REBOOT, AND RIDLEY SCOTT'S TERRIBLE RELIGION-BASED FILM*

Edited by That One Guy

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

this is disappointing. We have a fantastic cast, a director that seems talented, great production values, producers that have produced many well received and even classic movies. All the ingredients needed to make a good movie. Why couldn't they take the time to get the script and story right? They could have even delayed it. 

It was frequently delayed. Fassbender developed it with Ubisoft. I'm getting a hold of the script Wednesday and I can share it 

Just now, That One Guy said:

*FROM THE WRITERS BEHIND ACCEPTED, MILES TELLER PLAYING HIMSELF, THAT TRANSPORTER REBOOT, AND RIDLEY SCOTT'S TERRIBLE RELIGION-BASED FILM*

Here's an enlightening lesson on the scriptwriting process from the writer of Arrival 

http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspot.com/2012/12/eric-heisserer-lifts-curtain-on-studio.html?m=1

and from another screenwriter 

http://www.geofflatulippe.com/?p=8

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, babz06 said:

If it actually does 20m for the 5-day like tracking projects, then a 3x multiple brings it to 60m.  

Sub-20m for the 5-day and its in trouble of doing less than Warcraft.

That seems awfully generous considering tracking isn't always accurate.  Second of all, the film is getting awful reviews.  

We'll see. And about "no one can act surprised", I'm sorry,  but the third trailer got very good feedback, the 'I told you so" crowd is kind of annoying.

And yeah, this has been Fassbender's "baby" for a while, RedX said it best with the provided links, I don't think it's quite fair to judge most screenwriters on their credits, do you have any idea how many rewrites a script goes through? Hell, Eric Heisserer himself has shlocky credits, and yet he wrote Arrival. What I think happened here is either that there is indeed a 140 min cut somewhere from which they cut 40 min, and here goes the usual tale of exec/studio interference (which wouldn't be a first at 20th Century Fox with for example Kingdom Of Heaven, Prometheus, etc, etc), or they thought the script was in good enough shape and they legit think they have a good movie on their hands. Considering Fassbender is a producer on this, he was there in the edit room.

Or not all the elements quite came together, it is quite hard to make a good movie actually, I know some make it seem easy, but truth is, especially for actors, it's out of their hands sometimes or whatever. 

• Like 2