A Marvel Fanboy

Assassin's Creed | 12/21/2016 | Michael Fassbender, Marion Cotillard | Final Trailer on Page 71

45 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Here's a tip for all video game movie adaptations: Don't hire a director who has only made smaller films or terrible films altogether.  Get a seasoned professional in there.  Let's take a look at the 3 most recent failures:

Warcraft - Duncan Jones had done two solidly received flicks, but what made them work was their smaller budgets.  Now he gets a giant ass 160-170M budget thrown at him and spends 18 months on VFX.  That's a huge leap.

Assassin's Creed - Only noteworthy directorical project was Macbeth, cost only 15M to make.  Now this has like what, a 150M+ budget?  Possibly larger?

Need for Speed - Were they even trying?  They hired the director of Act of Valor for Christ's sake.

Get someone like Liman, or the Russo's, or anyone who can make a decent film. 

Snowtown was also critically praised along with dabbings into short films

36 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Fox and video game adaptations don't go together. They try hard but always fail both commerically and critically. Although I kinda dug the Timothy Olphant Hitman.

I had been saying for the past 3 months that this movie is extremely boring and everything feels so meh. The reviews say exactly that.

Good suggestion before making judgements on a film is to actually see it. 

Fox was was not involved creatively with the film. Fassbender's production company, Ubisoft, and New Regency 

9 minutes ago, UTJeff said:

Except that's not a video game, it's based on a Japanese light novel called All You Need Is Kill.  Later became a manga of the same name.

It doesn't really prove a video game movie can work really.  Also let's not forget, Edge of Tomorrow made only $100 million domestic.  

7 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Edge of Tomorrow was based on a Japanese Light Novel, not a video game. It just used video game concepts like respawning.

He knows.  He was saying that EoT is in the spirit of a video game movie, not an actual one. 

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

He knows.  He was saying that EoT is in the spirit of a video game movie, not an actual one. 

So is Crank, and Crank's a fun little movie.  But I still don't think it proves you can make the Uncharted movie not suck.  

To me the video game sensibility of Edge of Tomorrow was more meta.  Like when you play a guy you die but maybe each time you get a little bit better and you get a little further.  That's essentially what Cruise's character was doing.  Like he was playing a Destiny game except it was real life and the actual fate of the planet and human race was at stake.  And he just gets better from constant practice and doing it over and over again.

• Like 1

After what WarCraft got from professional "reviewers" i don't trust them for video games turned to movies.

WarCraft was a flawed but a good movie.

I bet if this movie was called Assasin's Creed A Star Wars story- we were going to see 7 and 8's.

• Like 2

Just now, snitch said:

After what WarCraft got from professional "reviewers" i don't trust them for video games turned to movies.

I bet if this movie was called Assasin's Creed A Star Wars story- we were going to see 7 and 8's.

Conspiracy nuts are always funny to see.

• Like 10

Just now, snitch said:

Yes because you just know the critics always love Star Wars

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_i_the_phantom_menace/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UTJeff said:

Yes because you just know the critics always love Star Wars

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_episode_i_the_phantom_menace/

Even this piece of cr*p movie got 55%!!!! This movie should be in low 20's . Againg - it's all about that Star  Wars effect. American critics get quite childish when it comes to this franchise. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Here's a tip for all video game movie adaptations: Don't hire a director who has only made smaller films or terrible films altogether.  Get a seasoned professional in there.  Let's take a look at the 3 most recent failures:

Warcraft - Duncan Jones had done two solidly received flicks, but what made them work was their smaller budgets.  Now he gets a giant ass 160-170M budget thrown at him and spends 18 months on VFX.  That's a huge leap.

Assassin's Creed - Only noteworthy directorical project was Macbeth, cost only 15M to make.  Now this has like what, a 150M+ budget?  Possibly larger?

Need for Speed - Were they even trying?  They hired the director of Act of Valor for Christ's sake.

7 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I forgot about Need for Speed. :rotfl:

6 hours ago, UTJeff said:

It's not unprecedented.  He did two well received and acclaimed genre pictures.  Stranger things have happened.  

A complete unknown Carl Rinsch who had never done a feature at all was given a $175 million budget for 47 Ronin.

Gareth Edwards had only done one low budget movie before Godzilla.  Monsters was like a $150,000 movie.  Godzilla was a $150 million movie.  

Colin Trevorrow's sole directorial feature was a low budget movie Safety Not Guaranteed before he was hired for Godzilla.

Josh Trank got Fant4stic after just one movie Chronicle.

Joss Whedon's only directorial feature before Avengers was Serenity.  

So it happens, and sometimes the results are mixed.  

Joss Whedon doesn't really count since he's done dozens of shows

• Like 1

If anything, it makes me respect Disney & Marvel even more, that those guys are able to put consistently good blockbusters out there is kind of insane. So many blockbusters going wrong, there's this great article on Bitter Script Reader by Eric Heisserer (Arrival) talking about the process with big movies, and it's obviously close to the horror stories and production woes we hear about.

Between studio notes, test screenings that sometimes destroy movies, all the cooks in the kitchen, it's a miracle to be able to make a "good" blockbuster movie. I'm sure AC didn't turn out the way Kurzel & Fassbender had intended, there very well could be a good 140 min version of the film somewhere (if the movie indeed sucks, I'll see it for myself), and the complaints: confusing story, thinly written characters, rushed third act just reek of studio notes akin "can't we go faster? ah too boring" or multiple edits after test screenings. 

• Like 1