The Dark Knight Rises

230 members have voted

1. 1. Grade The Dark Knight Rises

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

That got nothing to do with editing. That's the problem of the script cause it was obviously written that way.

No its not.

As you could see by the script extract posted there was no *batman in the cockpit" there, it was all describing what happened at a distance.

With that said I get the feeling that you think I'm trying to off the blame from Nolan to the film editors and that is not what I meant. I would think that obviously that with such a key shot there right at the end, Nolan would want that in. And I think Nolan got that wrong. It just added a shit load of confusion that didn't need to be there imo. 

Nolan fucked up on that one.

To even question whether the ending of Inception is real or dream, is a perfect example of over-examination.

Seriously or is that sarcasm? That would be a very poor example of over-examination and the scene was directed in a way that was intentionally ambiguous. I don't think he is still dreaming but I definitely thought about that one for a bit to say the least. Edited by Clavius

its just silly the things people come out with to try to bring this movie down. All their arguments have been answered multiple times on this forum and yet they still come out with the same shit. I agree there were problems with this movie. There are a few things that i cant even explain with a straight face. But there is nothing that diminishes its overall quality to the extent these guys make it out to be. 

• Like 2

The shot if Batman in the cockpit was definitely a mistake. It makes it look like Batman is still in the cockpit 5 seconds before the bomb goes off!

That's not the only editing flaw. Those Miranda's scenes weird editing as well:

When Commissioner Gordon and Miranda Tate are captured, they are brought to court. Gordon is removed from the courtroom and Bane asks for Miranda to be brought to him and is dragged to Bane. The scene then cuts to Bruce Wayne getting captured and then being put with the other hostages. Then Lucius and Miranda comfort Bruce Wayne as he tells them his plan.

Following this, Catwoman breaks both Lucius and Bruce Wayne free with Miranda nowhere to be seen. After saving Commissioner Gordon, Batman asks him where is Miranda and Gordon explains that she's been captured by Bane. (It's something Wayne already knows, he was with her speaking as an hostage few moments ago after Gordon was sentenced).

Why does Batman not remember talking to Miranda with the other hostages?

Reading the Shooting script you can confirm an editing mistake. Starts at page 132:http://www.scribd.com/doc/101929105/Dark-Knight-Rises-Shooting-ScriptThis is the correct order of the scenes according to the script: 

-Miranda and Fox are living in Wayne Enterprises. They brief Captain Jones about the real situation. But they are sold out (Miranda, of course). Blake escapes with Miranda, but Fox is caught by the Mercenaries. And taken to the Court for trial. (The Court is in the abandoned Stock Exchange)-Miranda volunteers to "help" Gordon and Blake track the truck.-Bruce is back and meets Selina in the streets and asks her to take him to Fox, who is held captive at the Stock Exchange, where the Court is.-Miranda and Gordon are arrested by the Mercenaries too, then taken to the abandoned Stock Exchange, the Court.-So Fox is in the Stock Exchange too. Waiting for Trial.-Bruce is bagged and brought to the Court too. He meets Fox and Miranda who are waiting for trial there.-Bruce saves Fox with Selina's help. Leaving Miranda there. Says he'll come back for her.-Gordon and his men are judged, while Bane takes Miranda with him.-Batman prepares with Fox for battle.-Batman goes off to rescue Gordon and asks "Where is Miranda Tate?" cause she should have been with them too.-But Bane took her to City Hall before Gordon was thrown to the thin ice, where she is kept captive until the conclusion.

But in the movie's actual cut, the trial for Gordon scene goes before the bagging of Bruce Wayne and the rescue of Fox. So we see first Miranda being brought to Bane separated from the rest, and then we see her with Fox and Bruce as they wait for trial. Big mistake.

Those scenes quoted in bold were swapped and messed the movie.

In short:

The actual script is Fox and Miranda waiting for trial. Bruce is bagged and brought to the court then put with those awaiting for trial telling his plan to Fox and Miranda. Catwoman breaks them free and Bruce tells Miranda that he'll come back for her. Then Gordon is brought to the court along Miranda. That's the moment when Bane wants her to be brought to him. That's why when Batman saves Gordon he doesn't understand why she's not with him because she was supposed to, that's logical. Messing with the continuity and you got Miranda being taken to Bane during Gordon's trial before Wayne is brought. Then Miranda speaking to Bruce who has just being bagged waiting for trial and later Bruce/Batman weirdly asking where Miranda is even if he spoke to her in the hostage room and left her behind him as part of his plan. Gordon tells Batman "Bane captured her". But in the movie, Miranda spoke to Wayne in the hostage room waiting for trial just after Bane takes Miranda with him when he wants her to be brought to him (the "capture" Gordon mentioned to Batman) after Gordon was sentenced to be brought to thin ice for exil/death.Also, in the script he never asks "Where's Miranda Tate?" to Gordon.

So try to dismiss that obvious error whining about "nitpick" all day long, that's a glaring editing flaw for a so called "godlike" director and things like these didn't help the case.

Edited by dashrendar44

its just silly the things people come out with to try to bring this movie down. All their arguments have been answered multiple times on this forum and yet they still come out with the same shit. I agree there were problems with this movie. There are a few things that i cant even explain with a straight face. But there is nothing that diminishes its overall quality to the extent these guys make it out to be. 

this

The shot if Batman in the cockpit was definitely a mistake. It makes it look like Batman is still in the cockpit 5 seconds before the bomb goes off!

It was a mistake, however at the end of the film when Fox disovers that Bruce had fixed the auto pilot, they talk about a missing item in the next scene. Perhaps that was a hint. It's not the only WTF moment in that scene. That bomb was suppose to have a 6 mile radius yet the explosion barely looked a mile.

I agree some complaints are nip piking, but you can surely understand why the ending would be complained about seeing as its the ending of a very highly anticipated trilogy and it concludes with a final act that doesn't make sense. Surely you can see why that would frustrate a few people.

Baumer and Dash can nitpick all they want, but they can't change that TDKR had 2.8 multiplier, 8 RT average, 8.6 IMDB score, 78/8.5 on Metacritic and 62% "A" votes in this forum.

I concede that TDKR is very well liked.  I just can't understand it.  You know how you guys think Transformers 2 is bad?  I'm pretty much there with this film.  IMO, it is so poorly written that I can't understand how anyone can like it.  But I am apparently in the minority on this.  Doesn't change my opinion of it though.

• Like 2

And that's your opinion.  Not mine.  

I concede that TDKR is very well liked. I just can't understand it. You know how you guys think Transformers 2 is bad? I'm pretty much there with this film. IMO, it is so poorly written that I can't understand how anyone can like it. But I am apparently in the minority on this. Doesn't change my opinion of it though.

yeah I dont mind if you like it or not thats your opinion. What made me mad last summer was when certain people would say that it wasnt well liked and that just isnt true.
  • Like 4

I can't fathom how anyone could enjoy Revenge of the Fallen on any level.  Aside from the usual plotholes and inconsistencies, every single, solitary character is annoying, detestable and unappealing, what plot there is goes absolutely nowhere, the humor is sub-Seltzerberg, and the action is noisy, frenetic, repetitive and dull as dishwater.

If your main criticism for TDKR is that Batman wouldn't have had time to rig up a batman signal on fire while simultaneous loving TDK and not seeing a problem with 2 ferries not discovering a shitload of explosives until they were halfway across the river......well you are probably not thinking deep enough about why you did not enjoy TDKR.

That is the problem with this thread IMO. To many shallow complaints.

• Like 5

If your main criticism for TDKR is that Batman wouldn't have had time to rig up a batman signal on fire while simultaneous loving TDK and not seeing a problem with 2 ferries not discovering a shitload of explosives until they were halfway across the river......well you are probably not thinking deep enough about why you did not enjoy TDKR.That is the problem with this thread IMO. To many shallow complaints.

It shows people were invested in TDK but not as much in TDKR since they noticed these thingsThings like the stupidity of the prison, Batman getting back to Gotham, and the weird ejection scene I noticed right away Edited by Robert Muldoon

Rehash of Toy Story 2.

Is this a joke?You're just coming across as dense as fuck now. Dear god man, I knew you were a Nolan dick blower, but you're just parodying yourself at this point.The special thing about the Toy Story trilogy is how every film can stand on its own and has different themes. Easily a better trilogy than Batman. Edited by mattmav45
  • Like 1