Fullbuster

Man of Steel thread OS

We need numbers!

WB expect around $80M OS OW now. (they were expecting 100M+).

Man of Steel appears to be a notable win for Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures as they try to resurrect the marquee superhero franchise. Directed by Snyder and produced by Nolan,Man of Steel should easily race past the $200 million mark globally by the end of the weekend.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-man-steel-569432

• Like 1

That looks good. 80M+ for 24 markets would be a good start, and that's just the base, it can surprise us and go for more. Also, no major markets like China, Russia, or Aus, France, Germany, etc... yet.

Edited by Sam

That looks good. 80M+ for 24 markets would be a good start, and that's just the base, it can surprise us and go for more. Also, no major markets like China, Russia, or Aus, France, Germany, etc... yet.

The biggest question is whether it is doubling SR in those markets or not. SR had 191M OS. If this does a bit better than double of SR, it will hit 400M.

The biggest question is whether it is doubling SR in those markets or not. SR had 191M OS. If this does a bit better than double of SR, it will hit 400M.

it does not need to double everywhere. Some of the markets like russia/china have expanded so much that it will make order of magnitude more. 400M should not be a problem. But after seeing the movie I doubt it will have insane legs even in markets that love action movies. I think this will stop at 400-450M in OS and around 300M domestic.

• Like 1

Well, not necessarily. With expanded markets, some can make up for the rest. We will get some indications soon. Tomorrow.

But so far, it's looking good:

- South Korea OW is more than doubled SR, and I think it can get to 20M+ there. 

- The Philippines looks to tripled SR total at the least with that record OD, 12M+.

-Taiwan number is pretty good, I'm thinking 10M+

- SR did 30M in UK, and MOS is looking to head for a great OW. 40M+ is definitely doable.

Then we have China, Russia, and Australia. MOS is a spectacle big action movie, should do well in Latin America too. 

And that OD number you posted for India is amazing, just slightly behind IM3, so can we expect 10M+ over there? That would be more than tripled SR's

Edited by Sam

Well, not necessarily. With expanded markets, some can make up for the rest. We will get some indications soon. Tomorrow.

- The Philippines looks to tripled SR total at the least with that record OD, 12M+.

- SR did 30M in UK, and MOS is looking to head for a great OW. 40M+ is definitely doable.

Then we have China, Russia, and Australia. MOS is a spectacle big action movie, should do well in Latin America too. 

And that OD number you posted for India is amazing, just slightly behind IM3, so can we expect 10M+ over there? That would be more than tripled SR's

Superman Returns in Russia = $1.7m

Given you can expect $20m+ for MoS the boost will be huge :P

• Like 2

Chinese & Russian markets have exploded as of late. Russian seem to love American movies especially animations. 

Expect China numbers to be close to $80-100 million. Wait a minute, is the MOS banned in China?  ;):)

"Notably, the 3D movie -- starring British actor Henry Cavill -- grossed $5.2 million in the U.K., pacing ahead of blockbuster Iron Man 3 to score the best opening day of 2013 so far. Man of Steel captured 70 percent of the market and performed on par with last year's superhero extravaganza The Avengers."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/foreign-box-office-man-steel-569440

• Like 2

Overseas, Man of Steel is likewise off to a strong start, grossing $17.6 million from 24 markets on Friday for a three-day total of $25.9 million and worldwide cume of $82 million. Its doing notable business in the U.K., home country of star Henry Cavill.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-report-man-steel-569432

So likely $75~80M OS opening from 24 markets. About half of IM3 level. 400M OS is still the target if nothing goes wrong.