CJohn

Frozen OS thread

Sing a long version in the UK + Half Term holidays in some parts of Europe. 

Last week it did $42. Let's say 30% drop this week. That makes around $30 + $12 M. in China (Wed-Sun). And we have again $42 + $504 = $546 + Dom $368 = $914 M.  ;)

I was about to say "It can't get a 30% drop with its leading market suffering the post-holiday effect", but that was before reading yjs' post. 915M or so would be crazy good.

• Like 1

That is crazy. 1M this week means 7.5M admissions after a post holiday 1M weekend. The big question is how long can it hold the screens. Can it beat IM3/Avengers.

Avengers is done since it did 7M admissions and Frozen is surely passing that, and IM3, which did 9M, is also in play.

Actually Frozen is already the 8th biggest foreign film of all time (local films are doing way better here) and if it does 8M which is very much likely it becomes the 3rd biggest. (1st is Avatar which did 13.3M/$105M)

Is it true that the owner of the sauna cabin where Anna meets Kristoff, is gay?   Cuz there's a topless guy in the sauna surrunded by kids.

It's possible, yes. 

Wasn't there a woman in that sauna?

Posted Image

Since she looked older than the other kids, I just assumed she's the topless guy's wife. I also don't think it's Oaken’s family, just a random family visiting the sauna. I can't say for sure though.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

Wasn't there a woman in that sauna? Since she looked older than the other kids, I just assumed she's the topless guy's wife. I also don't think it's Oaken’s family, just a random family visiting the sauna. I can't say for sure though.

There's a hypothesis that this big guy is Oaken's husband and these all are their kids (i have no idea why they have so many kids)

Wasn't there a woman in that sauna?

Posted Image

Since she looked older than the other kids, I just assumed she's the topless guy's wife. I also don't think it's Oaken’s family, just a random family visiting the sauna. I can't say for sure though.

After Oaken says he'll throw in a visit to Oaken sauna he looks over there and says something like "hoo hoo, hello family" and waves to them and they wave back. Definitely his family. Looking at the size of the guy in the sauna I'd say that's Oakens' son with his wife and 3 kids.

Wow that's amazing for Frozen in SK, why has it resonated so much with audiences there?

I was gonna ask the same thing. I thought animated movies weren't popular in SK. KFP success is understandable since it has Asian theme. But Frozen? Never thought it would be the 3nd most attended foreign movie ever, and have a chance to be the 2nd! That's just crazy.

After Oaken says he'll throw in a visit to Oaken sauna he looks over there and says something like "hoo hoo, hello family" and waves to them and they wave back. Definitely his family. Looking at the size of the guy in the sauna I'd say that's Oakens' son with his wife and 3 kids.

I thought because it's a family, and Oaken probably didn't know their names, so he just called them "family". It's possible, right? But yeah they could be Oaken's family too.

Edited by catlover

Do you need a reason to go watching a great movie?

No, but in that case Toy Story 3 should have passed the 10M admissions. Since it didn't even come close to half of that, there must be some precise reason or group of reasons that we don't see behind Frozen's crazy run.

Maybe yjs can help us?

I was gonna ask the same thing. I thought animated movies weren't popular in SK. KFP success is understandable since it has Asian theme. But Frozen? Never thought it would be the 3nd most attended foreign movie ever, and have a chance to be the 2nd! That's just crazy.

Maybe some of the stuff i said about japanese audiences might apply to SK ones as well? Themes of repressing your own feelings and smiling in the face of inner agony as represented by Elsa and always keeping optimistic and headstrong even when facing great challenges as displayed by Anna might be part of the appeal... anyways it is just astonishing how this movie has been doing in SK :)

btw there is a large number of great cosplays from SK cosplayers as well as quite a few extremely well made covers:

it will be really interesting to see whether all of this can be repeated in Japan as well...

haha well at least I can say Koreans are not as much polite and always-be-nice types as Japanese but it does have a thematical appeal to us. What I noticed during the pre-release time was that how some of the Japanese Anime fans very much anticipated this movie to be released and they all adored Elsa, did fan arts and stuff, which had almost never happened with a Disney film before. (and for this I think very highly of the movie's potential to break out huge in Japan.)But then again it's a bit less appreciated than I thought it would be critically and among general audience. Almost every online review both from critics and GA is filled with "despite" and points out how weak the storyline is. So there gotta be something else made it explode other than it being a good family entertainment. I think it had a fantastic release date to create a phenomenon. Disney/Pixar generally did very modest business here due to the prejudice against animated films and rather little promotional efforts. (Another backstory: We have a company called CJ which is a main investor of early Dreamworks and this CJ has the biggest cinema chain called CGV which is the 5th biggest worldwide. So DW films always have heavy promotions and for Koreans, post-2000 animations have been represented by light, comical DW films.) So it got disappointingly slated in mid-January and mostly this late release date would have affected a film's performance negatively, especially when the dvdrip is out, but for Frozen and its insane holiday BO run everywhere else got us wondered and they had rather aggressive, confident promotions compared to former releases. and another good thing was there was no real competition in mid-January while the local sensation the Attorney and Richard Curtis' About Time dominated December. If Frozen had been released in December things could have turned out differently. WOM had been spread before the mid-January release date and it did exceptionally well for a Disney film on its first day which was very positive. Once it was known as "the best since the Lion King" the nostalgic factor worked only for few with Tangled actually worked extremely well. It's now not just a kid/family film but also an acceptably enjoyable feature for grown-ups. It had an awesome run for 2 weeks and then it came the holiday, now with new Korean holiday films and some possible competition, but on the contrary, WOM went even more crazy during that holiday time frame. All except one new Korean films being received very negatively was another good luck FRZ had.And the fact that Frozen is the most broadway film in a while even for Disney helped, a lot too. Koreans are somewhat ambivalent about musicals. Generally we're against musicals on screen, thinking it's almost always weird that movie characters abruptly start singing and dancing, but huge (non)broadway musical productions on stage are very much respected and considered a bit like high culture stuff. Les Mis movie went really huge last year (did 6M-ish admissions which makes it like all time top 10 for foreign release) because A. its political elements resonated with people a lot during the preaisential election time and B. it was based on one of the most famous broadway productions. (for this same reason Mamma Mia! broke out huge, too.)While people have a bit more opened up themselves to huge movie musicals since Les Mis, Frozen was the first legit grand musical film that can be sold that way. Lots of reviews pointed out seeing Frozen is like watching an expensive Broadway production on screen. and of course Frozen has tons of amazing songs, they went viral and now they are alluring even more audience to the cinemas, those who left wondered what the fuss is about. Let It Go is played everywhere on streets and it is the first ever non-Korean #1 song in history of Korean equivalent of iTunes. and you know how all these lead up to a phenomenon. Parody videos are all over the places, if you still hadn't watched it you kinda have to... and it's still left without competition for another month or something. Unless the cinema chains (that are financialy/business-wise tied to Korean production/distribution companies) abruptly cut FRZ's screen numbers to support their own Korean counterparts, it is not impossible that Frozen becomes the 2nd biggest foreign film of all time after Avatar.What I like about this run is that it changed the people's view on Disney/Pixar here. like people fell in love for them all over again since the 90s'. and that's why I'm worried about Big Hero 6 cause it's the opposite of Frozen and its semi-Japanese setting will reaaally work against Koreans. The last thing I want is Koreans turning against Disney because of that.

Edited by yjs
  • Like 8

haha well at least I can say Koreans are not as much polite and always-be-nice types as Japanese but it does have a thematical appeal to us. What I noticed during the pre-release time was that how some of the Japanese Anime fans very much anticipated this movie to be released and they all adored Elsa, did fan arts and stuff, which had almost never happened with a Disney film before. (and for this I think very highly of the movie's potential to break out huge in Japan.)But then again it's a bit less appreciated than I thought it would be critically and among general audience. Almost every online review both from critics and GA is filled with "despite" and points out how weak the storyline is. So there gotta be something else made it explode other than it being a good family entertainment.I think it had a fantastic release date to create a phenomenon. Disney/Pixar generally did very modest business here due to the prejudice against animated films and rather little promotional efforts. (Another backstory: We have a company called CJ which is a main investor of early Dreamworks and this CJ has the biggest cinema chain called CGV which is the 5th biggest worldwide. So DW films always have heavy promotions and for Koreans, post-2000 animations have been represented by light, comical DW films.) So it got disappointingly slated in mid-January and mostly this late release date would have affected a film's performance negatively, especially when the dvdrip is out, but for Frozen and its insane holiday BO run everywhere else got us wondered and they had rather aggressive, confident promotions compared to former releases. and another good thing was there was no real competition in mid-January while the local sensation the Attorney and Richard Curtis' About Time dominated December. If Frozen had been released in December things could have turned out differently. WOM had been spread before the mid-January release date and it did exceptionally well for a Disney film on its first day which was very positive. Once it was known as "the best since the Lion King" the nostalgic factor worked only for few with Tangled actually worked extremely well. It's now not just a kid/family film but also an acceptably enjoyable feature for grown-ups. It had an awesome run for 2 weeks and then it came the holiday, now with new Korean holiday films and some possible competition, but on the contrary, WOM went even more crazy during that holiday time frame. All except one new Korean films being received very negatively was another good luck FRZ had.And the fact that Frozen is the most broadway film in a while even for Disney helped, a lot too. Koreans are somewhat ambivalent about musicals. Generally we're against musicals on screen, thinking it's almost always weird that movie characters abruptly start singing and dancing, but huge (non)broadway musical productions on stage are very much respected and considered a bit like high culture stuff. Les Mis movie went really huge last year (did 6M-ish admissions which makes it like all time top 10 for foreign release) because A. its political elements resonated with people a lot during the preaisential election time and B. it was based on one of the most famous broadway productions. (for this same reason Mamma Mia! broke out huge, too.)While people have a bit more opened up themselves to huge movie musicals since Les Mis, Frozen was the first legit grand musical film that can be sold that way. Lots of reviews pointed out seeing Frozen is like watching an expensive Broadway production on screen. and of course Frozen has tons of amazing songs, they went viral and now they are alluring even more audience to the cinemas, those who left wondered what the fuss is about. Let It Go is played everywhere on streets and it is the first ever non-Korean #1 song in history of Korean equivalent of iTunes. and you know how all these lead up to a phenomenon. Parody videos are all over the places, if you still hadn't watched it you kinda have to... and it's still left without competition for another month or something. Unless the cinema chains (that are financialy/business-wise tied to Korean production/distribution companies) abruptly cut FRZ's screen numbers to support their own Korean counterparts, it is not impossible that Frozen becomes the 2nd biggest foreign film of all time after Avatar.What I like about this run is that it changed the people's view on Disney/Pixar here. like people fell in love for them all over again since the 90s'. and that's why I'm worried about Big Hero 6 cause it's the opposite of Frozen and its semi-Japanese setting will reaaally work against Koreans. The last thing I want is Koreans turning against Disney because of that.

That's an amazing write-up yjs :)  It's pretty awesome how Frozen has become a phenomenon there.

• Like 1

So far, the biggest OS market for Frozen has been UK. It was at $59.5m last weekend, and should finish with $65m.

After this weekend in SK, Frozen will be at 7.6m admissions, which equates to $56m. I don't think another $9-10m is going to be very difficult, which will make SK the biggest market (unless Japan grosses even more).

Has it ever happened before that SK was the biggest OS market for any Hollywood film?

So far, the biggest OS market for Frozen has been UK. It was at $59.5m last weekend, and should finish with $65m.

After this weekend in SK, Frozen will be at 7.6m admissions, which equates to $56m. I don't think another $9-10m is going to be very difficult, which will make SK the biggest market (unless Japan grosses even more).

Has it ever happened before that SK was the biggest OS market for any Hollywood film?

first Transformers movie, Real Steel, World War Z and Michael Bay's the Island did. and most recently About Time's SK grosses even surpassed the grosses from NA and the UK.

Edited by yjs