CJohn

Frozen OS thread

100m in Japan? Not sure.

It's possible. MU did 90, TS3 126. Frozen has a huge momentum and hype for it. I recall somebody saying that people are really excited for it over there (they also had best trailers, and such). So, i think 100 is doable. And it's Frozen, it likes to exceed any expectations.

Looking at SK numbers, and having heard the hype of the hype in Japan I think that Frozen could be the #1 US animated film in Japanese history.  SK is on pace right now to finish between 9k and 13k admissions which would put it at between 75M and 100M so assuming that Japan has anywhere near equivalent numbers I could see it hit 150M.

It's possible. MU did 90, TS3 126. Frozen has a huge momentum and hype for it. I recall somebody saying that people are really excited for it over there (they also had best trailers, and such). So, i think 100 is doable. And it's Frozen, it likes to exceed any expectations.

I think it's possible. With S Koreas performance it is likely that japan reacts similarly. Les Mis did rather well there too. If it captures Japan as it did in US and S korea than 125m could happen.That will bring frozen 1.1b +

My final predictions for Frozen in Japan: Spirited Away numbers (229.6m)...

Yes, call me crazy and send me to the madhouse but looking SK numbers I am sure this will happen.

Yeah, madhouse definitely :P

Still, I would love that to happen ^^ However I bet on $90m

I'm happy with anything above 70 million in Japan. That should put it over 1 billion. Don't forget Tangled only did 30 million in Japan so we don't really know how Frozen will do.

Tangled opened either right before or right after the big tsunami and that hurt its box office

Edited by 23IsEverywhere

Calm down, people.

Toy Story 3 grossed 130 millions thanks to a very high 3D ratio and a very favorable exchange rate. Monsters University didn't sell much less tickets, yet it stopped at 90M. And both were extremely popular and anticipated in Japan. Rapunzel and WIR got 30+, so 50+ seems doable and 70+ possible.

Let's keep some sanity!

• Like 1

Calm down, people.

Toy Story 3 grossed 130 millions thanks to a very high 3D ratio and a very favorable exchange rate. Monsters University didn't sell much less tickets, yet it stopped at 90M. And both were extremely popular and anticipated in Japan. Rapunzel and WIR got 30+, so 50+ seems doable and 70+ possible.

Let's keep some sanity!

Rapunzel got 30 because of the tsunami (or earthquakes, i don't remember), otherwise i believe it'd do much better. And Frozen is massively hyped in a whole world right now, much more than i ever saw MU or TS3 being hyped. I'll say 70 is a minimum of what we can expect from it.  

Calm down, people.

Let's keep some sanity!

yes. Defenitely things are getting out of order. No way Frozen hits pixar sequel levels in Japan but should do very well considering its release date. I think 50M should be the target until we see something different. 

I dont think any movie in future will beat Spirited Away numbers. I doubt we will see any movie beat even HP1. 

yes. Defenitely things are getting out of order. No way Frozen hits pixar sequel levels in Japan but should do very well considering its release date. I think 50M should be the target until we see something different. 

I dont think any movie in future will beat Spirited Away numbers. I doubt we will see any movie beat even HP1. 

Yeah, it's literally untouchable. In Yen, there's a HUGE gap between Spirited Away (30b yen) and the 2nd highest grossing movie, HP1 (20b yen). And the ticket prices have stayed the same for 20+ years, so until the prices increase somehow, no movie will be close to Spirited Away.

Anyway, I'm optimistic about Frozen in Japan. Yeah 50m should be the target, but personally I could see 70m.

Edited by catlover